+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Private Health Insurance

I have a question. When I originally fell pregnant I was dismayed to discover that my private health insurance that I pay over $90 a month for no longer included pregnancy and childbirth care (which is the main reason I originally got my cover when I turned 30). I had a big cry about that and freaked out a bit, but when I told my doctor that I didn't have private health cover she said don't worry about it, the public system looks after you very well.

I lost that pregnancy, but am now TTC again. Just wondering if it is worthwhile getting better cover, or if I should just trust in the public system?

What have been bubhub user's experiences?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Think there is pros n cons to both. I went public with first as my health insurance didn't kick in till the day she was due. I had no issues and now with my second I'm covered but will be going public again as I had such a great experience

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had my first 2 with in the public system, same hospital, and I would have gone there again but we are at least an hour away from there. It was fantastic, my sister had her two in the same hospital and loved it, and our other sister is going there for her first and she loves it too!
    I tried to go to another public maternity hospital closer to us, but I don't fall into their 'zone' so for this pregnancy Im going to a private hospital thats under 5 mins away. We have PHI and because its already family cover because of the kids, we are covered for Obstetrics so it worked out.

People have good and bad experiences in every hospital! The only difference in care I get now is that I see the OB instead of midwives (who I prefer!) and I have little, if any wait time when I go in. I still get weighed, measured and asked the same questions I love my OB, he is great, but I don't think Id take out cover just for obstetrics.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it depends on what kind of birth you want?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have PHI but am not using it as I prefer midwife care rather than OB. So am going public and have hired a private midwife who does my shared care and will come to the birth and does my appointment as home visits. Still costs a few $$ but way less than out of pocket OB fees and is my preferred care model. I've seen an OB once for 5 mins as the hospital made me and hopefully that will be the last time as I won't need one. Fingers crossed.