+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Had to have two epidurals and they gave me lots of morphine as well.... worst part was vomiting every 5 mins for the next 24 hours... and seeing as I was numb and couldn't actually ''heave'' to vomit, (sorry tmi), all i could do was wait for it to come up and i had to turn my head to the side and do it that way. it was HORRIBLE.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a horrible elective csection and am still reluctant to think about it too much. But the gist was big baby + small frame and low iron = csection. Initial anaesthetic made me feel very nauseous and dizzy so i tried to sit up to get more air. Nurses physically had to hold me down while the anaethnatist gave me serrious amounts of drugs to calm me down which turned me into a zombie. I have vague snippets of my son being born. In recovery and back in the room I was shaking so bad i couldnt hold him without help. Then just to add icing to the cake the epidural fell out of my back after about 8 hrs so i had no pain relief apart from a supository that knocked me out for probably another 8 hrs. Without being dramatic the 36 hours after my sons birth were the worst in my life. I dont want to bring anyone down and im sure 99% of c cestions are great but i can guarantee for my next baby (5wks edd Dec'12) i wont be electing to have a c.
    All the every best

Thanks
    Reviews
    God I loved my c section. It was great! But I will give you my down sides just do you know (sure they beat natural down sides anyway).

The drugs did make me nauseous, felt like I was going to vomit twice during procedure but they gave me drugs to fix it.

I also had the shakes for about 5 hours after the surgery. Didn't stop me from holding DD but whole body had shakes.

Kept knocking my catheter lead when I wiggled in bed, so when they pulled it out it hurt when I peed for a couple of weeks.

But overall I would give my C Section a 10/10 experience.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My elective was a nightmare.

They tried for over half an hour to get a spinal in...then proceeded with an epi, they topped the epi upover three times but i kept saying i could feel the ice test and they were pulling hard at my scar with metal tweezers, i told them it hurt, they didnt believe me, theyncut me open and i was telling them it hurt it was burning, i was crying, they packed the wound which was very painful, and upped the epi again...they cut through four layers in total and i was sobbing, in pain and terrified they were going to do the whole thing while i could feel it.

I begged for them to put me to sleep i was so so scared and didnt realise the extent of the trauma that i. Itself would cause me, i jut kept thinking ' when i wake up itll be over it will be ok'

Then i opened my eyes, and started screaming in agony as i had no pain relief. I felt like i had been hit by an axe, i couldnt breathe my lungs felt deflated so i started coughing and i coyldnt imagine it already hurting anymore but boy was i wrong, the coughing had me in so much pain i was drifting in and out of conscience... It took 18 minutes to stop being in agony using the push button relief, and i was sobbing 'wheres my baby? Wheres my baby?'

Because i was never truly pain free, it was very hard for the first 1-2 weeks to not rely on heavy pain killers, it was hard to stay on top of the pain... I was dx with post traumatic stress disorder, and almost three years later still suffer with anxiety, nightmares, and flashbacks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine wasn't a horror story, but there were certain aspects of my elective that were worse than my emergency one, but I'm far more at peace with my elective.

They took 11 goes to get the spinal in and I was an absolute nervous wreck, freaking out the entire time they were trying to get it in. They numbed the lumbar area with a local first but they kept putting the spinal in the wrong spot which hadn't been numbed and it was extremely painful and felt disgusting to be honest.
    Once that was taken care of, I could feel literally EVERYTHING. Every cut, every tug, every hand in my body, I felt. It was the scariest thing in the world.
    I hadn't felt so much with my emergency c/s and I was totally unprepared for it and I panicked alot.

Once DS was out I was alot more comfortable as I had a distraction, but while I was in recovery (by myself at this point), the numbness started wearing off and I was in heaps of pain.
    I asked for pain relief once I got taken back to my ward, and they gave me panadol. I didn't think anything of it as with my epi the last time the pain relief kept coming for the first 8 hours so I figured it must have been the same with the spinal.
    But by the time morning came I was in excruciating pain, I had to get up for my shower and it took literally an hour and a half just to get up out of bed, with help from the midwife.
    The anaesthetist came around a few hours later to check on my spinal site, and asked why they'd taken my morphine drip out ... she was absolutely mortified that I hadn't been set up with it at all. My only pain relief since an hour after my c/s was a couple of panadols .
    She ended up giving me about triple the normal dose of endone for 2 days along with some other strong painkiller, and once I was over the 3 days of agony my recovery was quick and much easier than the first time around.

But I now have the most beautiful little 11 week old in the world who I'm totally in love with , so it trully is worth it in the end.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I assume mine is classed as elective. My OB said there was no way my baby was fitting out down below so c-section it was.

I went in really really calm and relaxed. We'd kept it secret from everyone except my parents till the day of because I knew people would talk about it and make me anxious. If I wasn't thinking about it I was completely fine.

The spinal hurt a little bit but nothing earth shattering. The effects of the drugs though were horrible. I truly felt like I was floating above looking down on everything going on. DH was trying to talk to me and I couldn't summon words to speak. You feel like you're on a Jesus cross cause one arm is out with the drip in it and the other arm is out with the blood pressure monitor on.

I reacted to the drugs and couldn't stop shaking or dry retching, which is awesome when you can't roll over to spew.

I'm assuming DD was stuck because all of a sudden I couldn't breath from immense pressure on my chest. I still don't know WTF went on cause that curtain blocks it all. But not being able to breath or speak while the anesthetist is shouting at me to answer him.

Then the curtain was lowered so DH and I could see DD. I couldn't see her, I couldn't talk to tell them DD is then attended to and DH went off to chop the cord. Then the nurse brings DD back and plops her on my chest and I could barely hold her to stop her crash rolling on to my face.

My temperature then plummeted cause they were all running around loading me up with blankets and this big plastic blow up warm air blower thing.

It doesn't compare to some stories in here I know but I still cry when I think about it. I hated it scariest thing I've ever gone through. I just wanted to hold and bond with my baby
    Last edited by Mrs E; 30-03-2012 at 21:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    My elective was a nightmare.

They tried for over half an hour to get a spinal in...then proceeded with an epi, they topped the epi upover three times but i kept saying i could feel the ice test and they were pulling hard at my scar with metal tweezers, i told them it hurt, they didnt believe me, theyncut me open and i was telling them it hurt it was burning, i was crying, they packed the wound which was very painful, and upped the epi again...they cut through four layers in total and i was sobbing, in pain and terrified they were going to do the whole thing while i could feel it.

I begged for them to put me to sleep i was so so scared and didnt realise the extent of the trauma that i. Itself would cause me, i jut kept thinking ' when i wake up itll be over it will be ok'

Then i opened my eyes, and started screaming in agony as i had no pain relief. I felt like i had been hit by an axe, i couldnt breathe my lungs felt deflated so i started coughing and i coyldnt imagine it already hurting anymore but boy was i wrong, the coughing had me in so much pain i was drifting in and out of conscience... It took 18 minutes to stop being in agony using the push button relief, and i was sobbing 'wheres my baby? Wheres my baby?'

Because i was never truly pain free, it was very hard for the first 1-2 weeks to not rely on heavy pain killers, it was hard to stay on top of the pain... I was dx with post traumatic stress disorder, and almost three years later still suffer with anxiety, nightmares, and flashbacks.
    oh diamondeyes,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh, some of these stories...

Im so sorry for the things you had to endure

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first cs was an emergency but my second was a medically necessary elective.

The cs went perfectly. But my body took to the spinal too well and I couldn't move my arms and my heart and lungs weren't working properly. Df took ds2 down to the room while I was hooked up to all sorts of machines until I could breathe and my heart was functioning on its own. Took about 6-7 hours.
    It was heartbreaking having my baby handed to me all new and slimy, but not being able to hold him. He slipped off me and df caught him.
    Was beautiful being wheeled into my room and seeing ds2's little head poking out of df's top. He knew how important it was for me to have skin to skin contact for him after he birth so df did it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by One of THOSE mums! View Post
    Was beautiful being wheeled into my room and seeing ds2's little head poking out of df's top. He knew how important it was for me to have skin to skin contact for him after he birth so df did it.
    That just brought tears to my eyes. Just beautiful