Reviews
    We have similar rules.

My hubby has instigated the no hippy name rule
    which sucks for me cause I love

willow
    phoenix
    piper
    pippa

so yeah. I do want a name that they can grow old with, we are a bit lost on names at this stage

DD 1 is Emma Chelsea
    ME - 28 HIM - 28
    Emma Chelsea - 4 yrs
    4 going on 14
    Sebastian Isaac - 5 months
    My little premmie guy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/8/14Bubhub BloggerBusiest Member of the Week - For the week ended 31/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I'm insistent that ours have to be Welsh names but none that the family have already taken. Unfortunately that leaves us short on nice boys' names but we'll find something. Also, Dafydd and Myfanwy are out because of Little Britain!
    Happily received a 15 months after m/c.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Names are hard for DP and i, I don't mind if we repeat the first initial for DP and I (M or E) but we won't have the first initial the same and the last initial (H) which in a way sucks as i love the name Hamish (DP hated it though) and DP wanted the name Holly (which i hated )

Also i loved the name Maddison but DP's name is Matthew, his best friend's name is Matthew, i have a half brother called Matthew, my best mates bf's name is Matthew, DP's other mate who just had another boy call him Matthew so we have WAY too many Maddy's around us

For DS's name it was easy (Dominic Stephen), my father’s name is Steven, DP's fathers name is Stephen, he gets DP's last name as we aren't married yet, and one of my middle names is Monique, so Dominic being a somewhat variation.

I also prefer 3 syllable first names but will agree to a 2 or 4 syllable name if it sounds right. previous girl name we had picked was Amelia Paige and our last name it 2 syllables so 4-1-2 sounds right, for DS it's 3-2-2 and another girls names that i had planned if i ever had two girls is Bridget Tiffany so pretty much in total i seem to fall for names that have 7 syllables in total without even realising, I’m not sure why, i just love the flow.
    Me 24 HE 30
    DS1 17/11/10 (8lb 13oz)
    DS2 8/10/12 (8lb 10oz)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Having naming issues myself, also abide by the rules of does it sound sensible, but not common. At the moment however stuck on Ishbel, which I love as it is a good celtic name, but concerned as now living in Aus not Scotland it may not work here. My boys nameof choice is Struan (yes pronounced strewn) which I love, but Aussie husband detests! Does it really sound that bad?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have a couple:

1) cant begin with K. (DH married me, a K, and has three sisters all K, when I met him there dog was a K and our dog is a CH (K)loe)
    2) cant begin with H. (our DS is a H, my SIL has 2 boys both H's anymore and its overkill and none of them will get called the correct name)
    3) middle name is a family name, that hasnt already been used by another family member (ie - DS & nephew would of both been H's and same middle name if we hadnt changed our DSs middle name after we found out nephews name)
    4) DH has a rule that HE has to be able to spell it (ie - i like Niamh, to him it should be Neve - which ruins my traditional spelling rule so names like that are out )

And I kinda make up rules as we go along to justify not liking some of DH ridiculous suggestions (like Cleetus. There is no rule its just horrendous!)
    Ds1 (Aug 2010) & Ds2 (Oct 2012) - Team blue!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by SD78 View Post
    Having naming issues myself, also abide by the rules of does it sound sensible, but not common. At the moment however stuck on Ishbel, which I love as it is a good celtic name, but concerned as now living in Aus not Scotland it may not work here. My boys nameof choice is Struan (yes pronounced strewn) which I love, but Aussie husband detests! Does it really sound that bad?
    Another Scot here looking for a lovely Celtic name. We adore Eilidh for a girl which would be fine back in Edinburgh but obviously would need to be spelled for everyone over here, and people reading it won't know how to pronounce initially. But there is no other name we love as much and I think she would like having a bit of her Scottish heritage. In some ways I hope we have a boy to avoid the problem!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    And I love Niamh!! Way better than Neve. As my DH says, we can't not give our child a name just because we think others won't be able to pronounce it. They can learn!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uh-Oh View Post
    I kinda make up rules as we go along to justify not liking some of DH ridiculous suggestions (like Cleetus. There is no rule its just horrendous!)

i do that too... DP wanted to call DS "Bam" he was dead serious too
    Me 24 HE 30
    DS1 17/11/10 (8lb 13oz)
    DS2 8/10/12 (8lb 10oz)

abiishu is offline embrace your inner birthing goddess
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I like your rules too Sunnymummy

We don't have rules as such, although I like names that are a little different without being too unusual or difficult to spell/pronounce.

I definitely have a syllable preference though for 3-1-2, both girls have this pattern and I love the way their full names sound
    Me Him
    Big Sister 10.07 Little Sister 09.09

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Rules

I have lots of rules too, glad I'm not the only one. I like uncommon names - I don't want my child to be one of several Hm-Hms in their class or when I call them have 4 kids turn around and look at me. I had this in Primary School so it is valid for me. I do want it to be easy to say and spell, though my name is easy and people still struggle. I prefer not to throw in a random letter just to make it unique, such as y instead of i, double a's, etc. It can't start with an S or end in an S as it sounds silly with our S surname and runs into each other. Must be more than one syllable. Preferably have a nice meaning. MN's may be family names but there is no guarantee as it will be whatever flows best with the FN. Can't think of any of my others right now.