+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Our horrible start to prep :(

My daughter had her 2nd week in prep this week and on Tuesday she ran away from class to come home. I was hysterical when I answered the door to her she was crying and shaking. I called the school straight away and to my horror the teacher and her assistant hadn't even notice she was missing.
    I can't help but feel that the school just isn't secure enough. What sort of gates and security does your children's school have?
    I'm angry upset and very stressed out as what more I can do. I feel housebound because I'm scared she'll do it again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Wow that is horrible? Any idea why she ran away?

My school has gates which get locked once the school bell has gone and unlocked at 3pm so the parents can go collect their children. The only way out would be through admin, but even to get to admin a child would need an adult to open the gate (not locked, but it's like a pool fence where only an adult can open it).

Thanks
    Reviews
    She said she was scared at school and then told me she got hit by a little boy. She hasnt made any friends with the girls, there are 2 very aggressive boys in her class too. She has been in daycare since she was 10mths old and I thought it would be okay.
    The classroom doors are free to open and the kids roam in and out to their bags and the front gate is also open.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Aww poor little thing. What an awful situation, It's just not on!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would definitely speak to someone about that!

TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You poor thing. God, that scenario sends shivers down my spine.
    I'd be making an appointment with the principal immediately, namely to discuss how they will work to ensure this will not happen again. I'd also ask how they intend on working with you to ease your dd's anxiety about starting school.

Reflecting on the schools I have taught at, no school has been so secure that escape was impossible. I have run after a few students in my time, catching each of them before they got too far. It can and does happen. But the fact that your dd's absence went unnoticed is unacceptable.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TimTamsandTea For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've spoken to the deputy who helped ease her back into class that day assisted by a 3rd teachers aid who was to stay with her all week (she was only there the day it happened) the doors are to be kept shut (I've still seen kids in and out unnoticed) and the front gate is to be closed and they are looking into automatic shutting gates so they can't be accidentally left open. Is this enough? I don't know. I'm also 35weeks pregnant so am stressed out and emotionally and so concerned for my daughter. The teacher is very sorry and I would have hated being in her shoes but I left my daughter in their care and anything could have happened to her

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HailsnMillie For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HailsnMillie View Post
    I've spoken to the deputy who helped ease her back into class that day assisted by a 3rd teachers aid who was to stay with her all week (she was only there the day it happened) the doors are to be kept shut (I've still seen kids in and out unnoticed) and the front gate is to be closed and they are looking into automatic shutting gates so they can't be accidentally left open. Is this enough? I don't know. I'm also 35weeks pregnant so am stressed out and emotionally and so concerned for my daughter. The teacher is very sorry and I would have hated being in her shoes but I left my daughter in their care and anything could have happened to her
    I'd mention that you've noticed children move freely in and out of the room without being noticed. The teacher and the school need to know this is happening.

The outside security the school describes sounds fine. Schools are very busy places and people are coming and going all the time and they have to allow for that traffic. While I'm sure you'd love complete lockdown during school hours after this incident (I know I would!), what you describe sounds reasonably responsible on their behalf.

To me though, the issue lies with the way the classroom is managed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you I do feel like lockdown would be great or even one of those ankle tracking devices til she's an adult lol
    I think I'll arrange to speak to them about the classroom next week.
    Thanks again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ha!
    I'm glad you've managed to retain your sense of humour after that event. And if you manage to get your hands on one of those devices, let me know - I'll be needing two myself.
    Good luck with your meeting. Try to leave it with them committing to at least one change to the security of the classroom or the way that your daughter is monitored that you are happy with (and not just their word it will never happen again)

There is never a right time for these things to happen but such an emotional event during pregnancy is a nightmare! You deserve many of these. Wishing your dd a trouble-free school year