+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Thankyou!

Quote Originally Posted by Savingfishfromdrowning View Post
    Pregnancy hormones can make asthma much worse for some people. If your ventolin use has increased you should visit your doctor and they will review what you are on.

The amount you are having is not too much though, it won't harm the baby. I have very severe asthma, and worse when pregnant. I have nebulised ventolin (equivalent of 40 puffs) twice a day, as well as using my puffer as needed. I also use seretide, which is a steroid inhaler, twice a day. I did this all the way through my first pregnancy and my baby (now toddler) is perfect I'm currently pg with number 2 and sucking on a ventolin nebuliser as I type.

Ventolin cannot scar your lungs. Absolutely not. In fact, the inflammation you get from not using your ventolin is what can cause scarring, however you would not be at risk of that so don't stress. I did get some heart palpitations in my first pregnancy, but my Obs were never concerned about them.

Ventolin is used in huge IV doses to halt early labour and is considered safe for this. The amount of ventolin that would pass into your blood ****** from your lungs from the small dose you are taking would be miniscule in comparison.

Oh my goodness i have just read this! You don't know how much better I feel from your reply, thanks so much I'm sorry to hear how bad your asthma is when pregnant, i didn't realise some people are that bad! i hope you are managing ok This is just what i wanted to hear though, advice from somebody who has actually gone through this and have had healthy pregnancies and babies, rather than googling it to get all the same information (ventolin is generally safe in pregnancy) over and over.
    Thanks again and hope you pregnancy goes smoothly

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BoxerDogLover View Post
    Oh my goodness i have just read this! You don't know how much better I feel from your reply, thanks so much I'm sorry to hear how bad your asthma is when pregnant, i didn't realise some people are that bad! i hope you are managing ok This is just what i wanted to hear though, advice from somebody who has actually gone through this and have had healthy pregnancies and babies, rather than googling it to get all the same information (ventolin is generally safe in pregnancy) over and over.
    Thanks again and hope you pregnancy goes smoothly
    Glad I could help My pregnancy is so far so good, still in first trimester, but going well. Still make sure you see your doctor for a review, like I said, pregnancy can make asthma worse and it's better to treat the problem if you can. Good luck, I hope you find something that helps - asthma sucks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know this is old, but for anyone else searching for this topic:

I have what they call mild intermittent asthma. I used my ventolin only a half dozen times a year and usually only when I got sick. As soon as I became pregnant, my asthma got really bad. I had to use ventolin every day and sometimes 2-3 times. My doc prescribed pulmacort preventer and referred me back to the asthma nurse. The preventer worked in about a week and I have not had to use ventolin since.

I had my appointment with asthma nurse the other day and was shocked. Even though my asthma only started 5 years ago and it was so mild, I have permanent damage to my lower airways (this is NOT from ventolin use) from permanent inflammation. Ive never smoked and never really been around it.

Please, anyone with asthma, see an asthma nurse. They work out of some doctors offices, or you an get a referral to your local asthma clinic in hospital outpatients. This damage is IRREVERSIBLE.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mousky View Post
    I know this is old, but for anyone else searching for this topic:

I have what they call mild intermittent asthma. I used my ventolin only a half dozen times a year and usually only when I got sick. As soon as I became pregnant, my asthma got really bad. I had to use ventolin every day and sometimes 2-3 times. My doc prescribed pulmacort preventer and referred me back to the asthma nurse. The preventer worked in about a week and I have not had to use ventolin since.

I had my appointment with asthma nurse the other day and was shocked. Even though my asthma only started 5 years ago and it was so mild, I have permanent damage to my lower airways (this is NOT from ventolin use) from permanent inflammation. Ive never smoked and never really been around it.

Please, anyone with asthma, see an asthma nurse. They work out of some doctors offices, or you an get a referral to your local asthma clinic in hospital outpatients. This damage is IRREVERSIBLE.
    What do they do exactly?? i have had asthma all my life but have never seen an asthma nurse i'm beginning to think that my dr isn't the best person to see i've never had my lung capacity checked or my medications reviewed she just prescribes the symbicort again and i see her again a few months later

Thanks
    Reviews
    They do a sperometry, which checks your overall lung capacity as well as the capacity of your mid and lower airways. Basically it can tell you if you have any permanent thickening of the airways.

You cease your preventer for 12 hours before, any ventolin 4 hours before (unless absolutely necessary) and no antihistamines for 48 hours. They do three goes on the sperometer, give you four puffs of ventolin then do another three. What you're supposed to see is a line that shoots up at a high angle then comes down at a lesser angle in a straight line. For me the line that comes down dropped off about 1/3 of the way, indicating permanent thickening of the airways.

Good luck. Sounds like you might need a different doctor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonGecko View Post
    Too much or too frequent use will cause heart palpitations which can drop your blood pressure.
    It´s true, I heard 3-4 times is too much

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Using Ventolin Inhaler alot everyday, worried :(

Agree with going on a preventer. My asthma is always really bad when pregnant. I started on flexitide this pregnancy but it wasn't cutting it so have been on seretide since about 24 weeks. I still need ventolin every now and again but not every day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can contact Asthma Australia for information and advice on 1800ASTHMA (1800278462) you can also register online to have a free Control pack sent to you that has heaps of information to help you better manage asthma symptoms and includes an emergency fridge magnet.
    http://asthmaaustralia.org.au/assist/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Asthma Australia you sure have been busy dragging up all the old threads, my whole screen is full of your posts!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (27-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    Asthma Australia you sure have been busy dragging up all the old threads, my whole screen is full of your posts!
    Didn't realise that every thread you have posted in comes up on your screen whenever there's a new post. Didn't intend to bombard inboxes - sorry!

1 in ten people have asthma which is the leading health reason that kids are absent from school or care and visit emergency departments. This is traumatic for everyone.

There is so much mis-information in the community, and even amongst GP's about asthma, it is important that people have access to up to date evidence based information and support.

At the National Asthma Conference in Canberra last week, we heard from a lot of experts and it is quite astounding that people just are not managing their asthma effectively and ending up in emergency departments all around the country, many are hospitalised for days and this can often be avoided by simply having access to the right information.