+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Also have a look at your diet. Sulphites make a lot of people more susceptible to their triggers. It might be fine when you're not pregnant but not okay now there's other things happening with your body.
    I don't have asthma, but DD1 does and she is off her preventar and barely needing her ventolin by removing sulphites from her diet + upping her water intake and every second night in her more susceptible times we sprinkle a bit of pink salt on her tongue (had an international health expert recommend this to us..it has worked so much better than I thought.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emzy83 View Post
    3-5 times a day for anyone is too much. I'd be finding another doctor. Too much or too frequent use will cause heart palpitations which can drop your blood pressure.
    No it does not correct information would be nice, Ventolin does NOT cause heart palpitations

Thanks
    Reviews
    One thing that always makes my asthma flare up is if I'm not exercising - have you changed anything on that side of things that might be affecting it as well?

I agree, a second opinion is required - a shame your GP isn't able to help but hopefully you'll be able to find someone else soon. Saying "Ventolin is safe during pregnancy" (which my doctor said) is not the same as "Needing Ventolin 3-5 times a day is normal" Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ohdear View Post
    No it does not correct information would be nice, Ventolin does NOT cause heart palpitations
    It CAN cause palpitations: http://www.gsk.com.au/products_presc...l.aspx?view=29 listed under common side effects: irregular or fast heart beat which is an awareness of your heartbeat.

Palpitations might feel as though your heart is 'racing', thumping or skipping beats and ventolin can cause a high heart rate.

Go and half 4-5 puffs of ventolin, wait about 10 minutes and you will find your heart rate will go up enough you can notice it.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used ventolin a lot in my last pregnancy. I was advised that it was okay, preferable to having a full blown attack preventing proper oxygen flow to bub. If you are using it a great deal it might be best to look into getting a preventer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It CAN cause palpitations: http://www.gsk.com.au/products_presc...l.aspx?view=29 listed under common side effects: irregular or fast heart beat which is an awareness of your heartbeat.

Palpitations might feel as though your heart is 'racing', thumping or skipping beats and ventolin can cause a high heart rate.

Go and half 4-5 puffs of ventolin, wait about 10 minutes and you will find your heart rate will go up enough you can notice it.
    My understanding is that too much ventolin results in low potassium. The low potassium causes the heart palpitations.
    I was hospitalized a few months ago for asthma and heart palpitations. I'd taken about 30 sprays of ventolin in 2 hours (some given to me by the hospital to try and control the asthma) and my heart palpitations were pretty severe.
    I was put on a saline and potassium infusion IV and the heart palpitations had completely stopped by the time I'd had half the IV.

For me, if I'm not having an attack but need Ventolin (mild shortness of breath, tightness in chest but only very minor shortness of breath etc), 4 sprays every 30 minutes is my upper upper limit before I start to suffer adverse affects. If the symptoms aren't controlled within 24ish hours following this rule I go to the doctor or hospital depending on the severity of the symptoms (and if they're allergy related).
    Mind you, I'm on a preventer, so this has only happened twice ever. During an attack, I follow the '4-4-4' rule. 4 sprays, wait 4 minutes, and if symptoms don't improve give 4 more sprays. If after 4 more minutes symptoms don't improve call an ambulance. (this is what works for me, it definitely varies between asthma sufferers)

I agree with PPs, finding a preventer that you feel is safe for you during your pregnancy could definitely help. My asthma is usually very well controlled by my Seretide.
    I've looked it up in the past and found this link really useful. (scroll down to Pharmacological therapy)
    Last edited by Berrie; 06-02-2012 at 15:10.

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Pregnancy hormones can make asthma much worse for some people. If your ventolin use has increased you should visit your doctor and they will review what you are on.

The amount you are having is not too much though, it won't harm the baby. I have very severe asthma, and worse when pregnant. I have nebulised ventolin (equivalent of 40 puffs) twice a day, as well as using my puffer as needed. I also use seretide, which is a steroid inhaler, twice a day. I did this all the way through my first pregnancy and my baby (now toddler) is perfect I'm currently pg with number 2 and sucking on a ventolin nebuliser as I type.

Ventolin cannot scar your lungs. Absolutely not. In fact, the inflammation you get from not using your ventolin is what can cause scarring, however you would not be at risk of that so don't stress. I did get some heart palpitations in my first pregnancy, but my Obs were never concerned about them.

Ventolin is used in huge IV doses to halt early labour and is considered safe for this. The amount of ventolin that would pass into your blood ****** from your lungs from the small dose you are taking would be miniscule in comparison.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Berrie View Post
    My understanding is that too much ventolin results in low potassium. The low potassium causes the heart palpitations.
    I was hospitalized a few months ago for asthma and heart palpitations. I'd taken about 30 sprays of ventolin in 2 hours (some given to me by the hospital to try and control the asthma) and my heart palpitations were pretty severe.
    I was put on a saline and potassium infusion IV and the heart palpitations had completely stopped by the time I'd had half the IV.
    The low potassium can cause the palpitations, but just the drug itself can cause them. If I have more than 4 puffs or I use my nebuliser I end up with the shakes and palpitations and my potassium is fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had symbicort (preventer) during my pregnancy and when that runs out (meaning when I'm to slack to go get the script filled) I hit the Ventolin hard.
    I never had an issue and all my doctors and obs said it was all good.

Thanks
    Reviews

Big difference between will and can telling people it will is just scaring people unnecessarily also would prefer minor palpitations than asthma attack