+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Using Ventolin Inhaler alot everyday, worried :(

Hi there,

This is my first pregnancy, and since conceiving my asthma has become alot worse, I am now using my ventolin anywhere from 3 - 5 times per day. I know from research it is generally considered safe during pregnancy, but is this too much? Have other people used their ventolin alot and everything has been fine?

I have talked to my GP about this but she is hopeless and doesn't know the first thing about pregnancy, I am trying to go to the antenatal clinic at the hospital but i need a referral first so it could take a little while. I just want my worries eased now!

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    no such thing as to much ventolin but I would be looking into using a preventer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would seek another opinion myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Too much ventolin can give you heart palpitations and leave scarring on your lungs, or so I've been told by a pharmacist (have never heard this from my doctor). I used my ventolin more frequently when I got to about 6 months pregnant and all my organs were getting squished. How far along are you? If you're not on a preventer I would go see a doctor about it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to meatpopsicle For This Useful Post:

share a book  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get another opinion sounds like you need a preventer my hubby is a chronic asthmatic and he needs a preventer but doesn't use it and he uses ventolin heaps less when he is on the preventer. The pressure of the bub could be causing you to use more better to get it checked out though

Thanks
    Reviews
    3-5 times a day for anyone is too much. I'd be finding another doctor. Too much or too frequent use will cause heart palpitations which can drop your blood pressure.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MoonGecko For This Useful Post:

share a book  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ventolin is used to stop labour, slim to no chance of having to much.

If your using it that much, you need something else. Id be finding another Doc for a second opinion.

My asthma was extremely bad while i was pregnant to the point i was on steroids & attacking weekly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleTime View Post
    Ventolin is used to stop labour, slim to no chance of having to much
    Its a medicine, and like all medicines you can have too much.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MoonGecko For This Useful Post:

Areca  (04-02-2012),meatpopsicle  (04-02-2012),share a book  (03-02-2012),Witwicky  (06-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a chronic asthmatic and am currently 17 weeks pregnant. I also suggest getting another opinion as it does sound like you may need a preventative. According to my doctor the use of ventolin won't cause any problems. Personally I would be more concerned about your asthma not being under control and the risk of having a major Asthma attack, which could cause a lot of health issues for you and bub.
    Take care and I hope your asthma calms down for you soon : )

Dh and I expecting first bub July 2012 : )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow thanks for such quick responses

I am only 5 weeks and 4 days, one of the first things that made me wonder if i was pregnant was my asthma suddenly flaring up, its usually really well controlled.

I agree I need to take a preventer, I just need to find a Doctor who knows a bit about this first to prescribe me one that is safe. Nobody seems to want to see me until i'm further along in my pregnancy, which annoys me because its my first pregnancy and i have SO many questions and worries!

Thanks again