A spin off from the other thread where someone (sorry can't remember who) said they didn't make risotto cos they had to stir it and then a few us piped in with our various way of making risotto.
So, how do you make risotto?
I have never actually be taught by a proper italian chef how to make it, I was shown by a great Belgium chef and also another good British chef (both of whom had great restuarants). But I am still yet to know if they methods are proper proper proper IYKWIM.
Anyway how I make it (well the key bits)
I was told to never put cream in risotto, my belgium chef saw me once doing this and nearly had a stroke on the spot!!
- over medium heat sweat/lightly fry onion in butter and olive oil
- add extra vegies that need frying off
- if too dry and a little extra oil and butter
- add the rice and stir a little - not heaps but enough so it doesn't stick. I was taught this is the most important bit - you need to cook the rice enough for it to go translucent but have a little white do tin the middle. The clear outside means you have released the starch in the grain which will create the 'smooth' risotto at the end. (stirring it while cooking will break the outside structure of the rice, which will release starch but too much. And it will break down rice and make risotto claggy and gluggy.)
- deglaze with some wine (I never have wine so i tend to use white balsamic)
- I add double the amount of water/stock to rice. I add it all in one go - cold. and I stir the rice to distrubute the water.
- I turn it down to low and walk away and leave it for 10min or so.
- I will stir it just enough to make sure its not sticking (apparently you shoudl just aggitate it, but I never seem to have a teatowel around ot hold pot so i just stir it)
- after about 20min min I generally add more water - normally up to another cup (i know its supposed to be double the water but i find it too dry?)
- When it is al dente I turn it off (again im not sure how cooked it should be, i just do it to my taste. Well a bit less then my taste because I know it will keep cooking.
- I put ina MASSIVE blob of butter and kinda stir it through gently. put lid on and leave it for 5min.
- I finish stirring through butter, adjust seasoning and serve.
so what about you, how do u do it??