+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default 1000 ways to make a risotto...

A spin off from the other thread where someone (sorry can't remember who) said they didn't make risotto cos they had to stir it and then a few us piped in with our various way of making risotto.

So, how do you make risotto?

I have never actually be taught by a proper italian chef how to make it, I was shown by a great Belgium chef and also another good British chef (both of whom had great restuarants). But I am still yet to know if they methods are proper proper proper IYKWIM.

Anyway how I make it (well the key bits)
    • over medium heat sweat/lightly fry onion in butter and olive oil
    • add extra vegies that need frying off
    • if too dry and a little extra oil and butter
    • add the rice and stir a little - not heaps but enough so it doesn't stick. I was taught this is the most important bit - you need to cook the rice enough for it to go translucent but have a little white do tin the middle. The clear outside means you have released the starch in the grain which will create the 'smooth' risotto at the end. (stirring it while cooking will break the outside structure of the rice, which will release starch but too much. And it will break down rice and make risotto claggy and gluggy.)
    • deglaze with some wine (I never have wine so i tend to use white balsamic)
    • I add double the amount of water/stock to rice. I add it all in one go - cold. and I stir the rice to distrubute the water.
    • I turn it down to low and walk away and leave it for 10min or so.
    • I will stir it just enough to make sure its not sticking (apparently you shoudl just aggitate it, but I never seem to have a teatowel around ot hold pot so i just stir it)
    • after about 20min min I generally add more water - normally up to another cup (i know its supposed to be double the water but i find it too dry?)
    • When it is al dente I turn it off (again im not sure how cooked it should be, i just do it to my taste. Well a bit less then my taste because I know it will keep cooking.
    • I put ina MASSIVE blob of butter and kinda stir it through gently. put lid on and leave it for 5min.
    • I finish stirring through butter, adjust seasoning and serve.
    I was told to never put cream in risotto, my belgium chef saw me once doing this and nearly had a stroke on the spot!!

so what about you, how do u do it??

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (04-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thermomix!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Laksa For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (04-02-2012),Californication  (03-02-2012),Guest1234  (03-02-2012),hakuna matata  (04-02-2012),headoverfeet  (04-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I use the rice cooker. Chopped mushrooms, chicken stock, sautéed onions, rice all chucked in! Delicious!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Im a ladle at a time stirrer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laksa View Post
    Thermomix!
    I did it once and didn't like it - maybe i should try it again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    haha.. triple time that made me laugh.. very descriptive!

i can just see you at risotto's anan.. hi im tt and i a laddle at a time stirrer...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Baked. Throw all ingredients in a baking dish with lid and throw in oven. Yum.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleTime View Post
    Im a ladle at a time stirrer.
    I am too. I thought that was the right way until now? I thought it was important to have the stock hot as well?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tend to do my risotto in the oven to save me time and effort

In a casserole type dish (e.g. stove and oven type) brown onion, garlic add meat/ chicken and veggies and then stir in arborio rice, allowing it to soak up some of the pan juices. I then add all of the stock, bring it to the boil, then pop the lid on and put it in the oven at 180C for half an hour, then add parmesan once it's cooked.

As you can tell, I'm very technical

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Majestic Hiss View Post
    I am too. I thought that was the right way until now? I thought it was important to have the stock hot as well?
    I have heard hot and cold from different ppl and I have heard it makes no difference so long as you cook the rice out properly before you add the liquid.

I just do it the way my chef i like the most taught me. I know in service (like the middle of kitchen time) when you are making risotto to order you use hot because the rice is half cooked already and kept in the fridge. Hot stock works better in that case. But cooking from start to finish in one go - most chefs i know use cold. But really who knows?

I would really like to be taught by an authetic person who really knows!
    Last edited by Buttoneska; 03-02-2012 at 19:05.