+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ElizaDoLittle View Post
    I must be really living in the bush because I have never seen nor heard of this?! Wowsers

We got our sons latest glasses from Specsavers 2 for $200. Way better than the $499 for one pair I paid at OPSM :/
    Charlestown has a vision department.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleTime View Post
    Charlestown has a vision department.
    Right, I'm off to look! I had no idea!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I recently discovered if you have a pension card (or health care card I think) then you are entitled to free glasses through the hospital system. (This is in Queensland, but the optometrist I spoke to expected other states to offer the same think - but for Queensland you have to have a Queensland address on your card.)

There is a limited choice of frames and it is limited to single vision or bifocals (not multifocal).

I would suggest asking at various optometrists, because the first ones I went to didn't mention it at all.

My DD1 needed glasses and the first optometrist I took her to, I specifically asked if there was anyway that children could get free glasses, because I was sure I had seen a sign to that effect a few years prior. The optometrist told me no. Over the years she has had four more pairs of glasses, finally needing to get multifocal lenses. Then the next optometrist I went to told me about the "free" hospital glasses. It was too late for my DD1 as she uses multifocal lenses now, but I was able to get a pair of bifocals for my mother. And my little one's father also got some single vision glasses from them which he desperately needed. (He was using $4 magnifiers because he couldn't afford prescription glasses.)

I also asked the optometrist that had the option of free hospital glasses if this was a new thing, since I had been told no in the past, and was told that it had been going as long as she had been working there (which had been something like 20 years). So that is three pairs of glasses I hadn't needed to have paid for, since an optometrist had given me false information.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 04-02-2012 at 22:26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    A few parent friends had told me to steer clear of Specs savers and their '2 for 1' offers due to the quality of the frames etc.
    My DD1 has gotten glasses from both the more expensive optometrists and cheaper (Specsavers/Optical Warehouse) and didn't have any problem with the cheaper frames from the discount places - because her script changed so quickly that she needed new glasses before the frames wore out.

Edit - The option of changing the lenses requires being without them for a time (and she cannot cope with that). First time she needed a new script we went to get the lenses changed and we were told she would be without them for a week. When we explained that wasn't an option, they managed to do it instore which meant only 24 hours without them, but it was still painful (she gets migranes without her glasses) so she said never again. Now she always gets new glasses instead of changing lenses. Also an optometrist advised against changing lenses because of lack of warranty issues.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 05-02-2012 at 18:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You can just have the lenses changed. I've had the same frames for 2 years but different lenses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Vision Australia have a scheme where you can get them for $30, I also applied for an interest free loan to pay for my sons. They just gave me the money & wouldn't take payments. His were $380 at the time, ex premmie so needed a custom made pair. Much cheaper now he's slightly bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We haven't had any problems with Specsavers. (except for my first sunglasses but thats another issue)

DD2 started wearing glasses at 6yrs. She wasn't happy with the glasses she had to get as there wasn't alot of choice at the time that fitted her but they were ok. She needed to get new ones at her next check up though. This time round she is much happier. She was able to get 2 pairs, one hot pink and one purple. They were a metal frame with the arms way too long but they cut the arms to fit.