+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Glasses with no private health fund for kids

I have to take DD1 to get her eyes checked as today at school she complained that they were hurting in computer class and also with the board.

We aren't in a private health fund and I'm wondering if I have to get her glasses - if - is it going to be expensive? Anyone been in the same boat?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Kids glasses are quite expensive and unlike adult glasses they don't normally have 'specials' on them either. We do have PHI, so paid a lot less for my DD's glasses, however before we paid the gap, without PHI they would have cost around $280. We did opt to have the special non glare coating put on them, so that bumped up the price a bit.

I have heard Big W has quite cheap kids glasses, a friend has no PHI and always buys her son's glasses there and is quite happy with the cost and they're on a fairly low income.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The actual appointment should be bulk billed.

The glasses could cost around $200 to $500 probably. Good thing is that they last a long time if your DD will take care of them .

Just remember when looking at the price in the shop, that the price on the glasses are only for the frame. Then the shop will give you the cost of sending them off and making lenses for those particular glasses etc.

If you have a price that you can't go over, I would just be up front with the optometrist and say for example you can't afford the total to be over $200, and then see what they can do with you. They can try and give you a discount or work out a good price within reason. I didn't realise you could haggle with them until I went in once and said "nope, sorry can't afford that" when my glasses broke. They offered me 50% off lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm having a look into PHI now, we've been meaning to get on it but its been one of those things that "Yes, I'll look at that after dinner" and then it's three weeks later.Does Big W have like an optometrist instore or something and they do glasses? I can't remember right now if I've seen one in our Big W - pregnancy brain mush.I've made her appt and its bulk billed and I'll go in saying that atm don't have PHI but I'm looking into it - right now actually and NIB seems to be the way to go? - but can only pay so much for glasses right now. Thanks.
    Last edited by Bubs'n'Roses; 03-02-2012 at 16:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Another option could be that once you get your prescription for the lenses you could suss out online companies. America has some awesome websites specifically dedicated to childrens glasses. One particular company sells their glasses to most Australian Optometry outlets and the prices online are considerabley a lot less.

The downside (like anything bought online) is that you can't 'try before you buy', though most have good sizing guides and you can always try on in store, get measurements etc and go by that. But keeping in mind, unlike adults, most children don't really have a big enough nose bridge to help keep the glasses up etc, so that is another consideration whe fitting out childrens glasses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most of the bigger big w's have a vision area, it's just the same as opsm or specsavers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD2's glasses weren't too bad. We have PHI so I'm not sure exactly how much they were but I think the frames were about $149 for 2. (specsavers) Then the lenses and we got the anti glare coating. I can't remember how much the anti glare and lenses were.

But first thing I would do is get her eyes checked which you can do under medicare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My sister pays around $400 her daughters glasses. I don't know if she gets any rebates with her health care card but this may be possible.

I know from her experience that you need to ones that are flexible and not easily broken given how rough children can be with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosebones View Post
    I'm having a look into PHI now, we've been meaning to get on it but its been one of those things that "Yes, I'll look at that after dinner" and then it's three weeks later.Does Big W have like an optometrist instore or something and they do glasses? I can't remember right now if I've seen one in our Big W - pregnancy brain mush.I've made her appt and its bulk billed and I'll go in saying that atm don't have PHI but I'm looking into it - right now actually and NIB seems to be the way to go? - but can only pay so much for glasses right now. Thanks.
    Yes, *most* Big W's have an Optometry section where they have an instore Optometrist and frames on display etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We paid $300 for DD's first pair of glasses (frame on clearance for $100 and $100 each lense to have them thinned down). She broke them and lost a lens within 3 months of getting them.

Her second pair cost $580, but they're a heavy duty flex frame, which means they've lasted 5 months so far and are looking to last a while longer (touch wood).

My DD is 3, but was 2 1/2 when she got them.

Some places, like SpecSavers do have kids frames on special some times, but DD was adamant she needed pink or purple, and I was willing to try anything to get her to wear them!

FWIW our Big W doesn't do optometry.