+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I ask or suggest I bring something eg some nibbles, bread rolls or something or meat if its a bbq. I have a friend who whenever we have a play date, bring like a whole bag of stuff. Juices, pre packaged kiddy stuff, fruit,0biscuits.. She probably spends at least 20 bucks and I really don't like it. Its offensive to me, like she is saying I don't or can't provide enough myself.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    I ask or suggest I bring something eg some nibbles, bread rolls or something or meat if its a bbq. I have a friend who whenever we have a play date, bring like a whole bag of stuff. Juices, pre packaged kiddy stuff, fruit,0biscuits.. She probably spends at least 20 bucks and I really don't like it. Its offensive to me, like she is saying I don't or can't provide enough myself.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk
    I wouldn't think of it as her saying you can't provide enough. I would look at it as though she's trying to save you having to provide lots of snacks for her kids. Some kids seem to eat all the time and maybe she would feel bad about hers eating you out of house and home! Even though I have to take all of my kids' food wherever we go (because of a genetic dietary condition), I would still load up on drinks and snacks whenever we were visiting friends.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I rarely turn up empty handed unless its a really informal playdate, and even then i have food for the kids cos they have allergies and we never leave home without several snacks at least.

But if hostess asks for no food i will generally bring alcohol or something, only because on those occasions where i turn up empty handed i feel awkward. If its a friends thing, generally we arrange bring-a-plate

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Always. I could never go empty handed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We always take a bottle of wine to dinner/lunch dates. For BBQs DH might take beer instead of wine. I always offer to bring a salad or dessert, often making Chocolate Bavarian (my signature dessert which everyone seems to request).

With MG we all take enough food for the kids to share and for playdates I always pack snacks for DS (with enough for the host children to eat if they want).

I think it's rude to turn up for a meal without a bottle of wine or chocolates if they are non drinkers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i always offer to bring something and if they say no we always bring drinks.

also i bring food for my kids cause they can be picky and are used to eating early so if i bring stuff i know they'll like it, not have to wait for their dinner etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always take something but if I'm hosting I like to provide everything. I'm a better giver

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dancermum View Post
    With my close circle of friends, we normally organise it so the host doesn't have to do everything and the rest of us contribute (e.g. one brings a salad, one brings sweets, etc). When we are invited to something at a friend's house where it's not so informal as it is with the close circle, I will ask if I can bring anything and if they say no, we will take a bottle of wine and/or box of chocolates or something like that. To our weekly dinner at the parentals, we bring nothing except our sparkling company, or maybe something to share if we've got leftover cake or something like that.

To be honest when DH and I ask another couple over for a meal and they show up completely empty handed we do notice, and think it's kind of rude. But we are pretty judgemental
    Do you ask the coulple to bring something or just play head games?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Usually yes, unless we are asked not too specifically which is not often. I like to bring something but I don't mind either way, I'm happy to give the host a hand

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always ask. If they say nothing I always take something small like soft drink, bag of chocolates etc
    Tonight we went to my best friends house for dinner and we took her dog a toy wrapped up and all lol because my DD always annoys the dog!
    Personally if people show up to mine empty handed I dont give it a 2nd thought.

Sent from my LG-P920 using BubHub