+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I always take something and if the hosts have said not to bring anything then I usually will buy a bunch of flowers and take a bottle of wine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I always take my Children's food because they have PKU and one of them is also anaphylactic to eggs, so I have to ensure that what they eat is safe for them.
    I will offer sometimes to make a dish (usually dessert), but not always - it depends who it is. I'll always take alcohol and flowers though, no matter where we've been invited.
    It really bugs me when we have a family function on my husband's side and we're asked to take food (for the adults). I never ask any of them to bring anything here and so now I don't even offer to take food down there. I've always been brought up with the attitude of ' if you ask people to your home for a meal or party, you provide everything'.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to siansmum For This Useful Post:

skebn  (04-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, I always bring something either for the host or something that can be shared communally, whether I am asked or not. It doesn't always have to be a food/dessert item, sometimes it can be wine or flowers.

My Mum was one of *those* Mums who would load me up with stuff to take and give to the parents on my sleep overs, I used to be terribly embarassed as I was always the only person to bring things, little did I know what a generous and lovely sentiment it was.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Depends who invited us.

My family we don't, that's just how they are. DH's family we do, money is a lot tighter. My best friends, always do, it's just how we roll. DH's best friends, everyone brings something for the BBQ & we take cookies & cream cheese cake. Apparently it's mandatory that I make it now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Always! If they are drinkers we will take a nice bottle of wine and if not, a box of choccies. It just a way of saying 'thank you for having us'.

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I ask and if they say bring something then yes, otherwise no. When im
    Hosting if someond asks i will say whether or not to bring something, i never expect anything. I used to be embarrassed about rocking up with empty hands when everyone else seems to bring something, now i dont care!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I don't. I was brought up that if you invite someone to your house you provide...unless it's like a really big thing with lots of people. If people don't specify anything then I just take food for my kids if I need to (food allergies) and rock up empty handed.
    I just always tell people to bring their drinks to my house...it solves the problem of turning up empty handed for them and we only drink water so it saves us buying stuff we will never drink.
    If someone turned up to my house with a salad or breadsticks or a dessert after I'd said 'bring nothing' it would bug me cause I would have catered for all of the food and then had food go to waste.

I rarely entertain because I really don't enjoy it (the social side fine, but the work side of things...blah)

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i usually ask if there's anything i can/should bring. even when i'm going to family's places for a big gathering. often i'm told no so i don't feel bad about not taking anything then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With family we generally don't, but i always offer to make something to bring along. It's just not the thing in our family. With friends we do though, i'll offer to make something, if they don't need anything i'll get the host a bottle of wine or some choccies or something little to say thanks for having us and our rowdy children!

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Usually flowers for the hostess or a bottle of wine or some chocolates. Just to say thank you for going to the effort