+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bring Roses chocolates!!!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With my close circle of friends, we normally organise it so the host doesn't have to do everything and the rest of us contribute (e.g. one brings a salad, one brings sweets, etc). When we are invited to something at a friend's house where it's not so informal as it is with the close circle, I will ask if I can bring anything and if they say no, we will take a bottle of wine and/or box of chocolates or something like that. To our weekly dinner at the parentals, we bring nothing except our sparkling company, or maybe something to share if we've got leftover cake or something like that.

To be honest when DH and I ask another couple over for a meal and they show up completely empty handed we do notice, and think it's kind of rude. But we are pretty judgemental

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep always. I was brought up you always bring something. Same as always take a present to a party.

Tbh I get annoyed if I cook a nice big fancy dinner for friends and they can't even bring a salad or bread sticks or even a bottle of wine.

I used to host all the time and one couple NEVER brought anything and never hosted, it made me feel used.
    Last edited by waterlily; 03-02-2012 at 15:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    To friends places, then yes I do. I don't expect others to though when I host something, I always plan without wanting them to bring anything along lol. I am just in a habbit of taking something to others houses because my parents always did it with their friends and where I grew up all of us fell into the same pattern of bringing a share plate. I notice people don't do that where I live now, but they also don't seem to do things every thurs, fri, sat etc that people did in the town I grew up in. Here it seems more of a once off thing so the hosts are happy to provide everything.

DH's family don't bring anything if we host. We do usually contribute when we go to functions they put on at their houses.

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So what about to a baby shower or party where you bring a present?

I do usually call ahead and ask if they want us to bring anything, but people always say no, and then we show up and everyone has brought something!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Savingfishfromdrowning View Post
    So what about to a baby shower or party where you bring a present?

I do usually call ahead and ask if they want us to bring anything, but people always say no, and then we show up and everyone has brought something!!
    It's a formal party like a baby shower where you've gotten pretty invites (that's my idea of formal!!) I wouldn't normally bring something as you're right, you'll be taking a present. I would probably still ask the host or the guest of honour if they needed help with anything, but I see those as a bit different to an average dinner party or BBQ. It's always nice to follow up with an email or note a few days later to thank them for hosting though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would always ask, but wouldn't necessarily take something if they were adament not to.

Although a small gift I'm sure is always appreciated, say a bottle of wine, or chocolates, a nice bottle of olive oil etc - something they don't have to consume straight away but is a nice gesture. But I don't think it's essential.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DQ View Post
    I hate being told not to bring anything it makes me feel awkward

So I bring something, a box of choc or a couple of bags of chips and some drink, depending on what type of gathering it is
    This is me too. DH is the same he hates going somewhere for tea and not taking anything so will usually break out his Chefing books and make the best Peppermint White Chocolate Cheesecake so nice i used ot eat almost a whole one by myself

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always ask if they want me to make dessert or bring cheese etc if no then I always bring wine/beer I can't go empty handed !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dancermum View Post
    It's a formal party like a baby shower where you've gotten pretty invites (that's my idea of formal!!) I wouldn't normally bring something as you're right, you'll be taking a present. I would probably still ask the host or the guest of honour if they needed help with anything, but I see those as a bit different to an average dinner party or BBQ. It's always nice to follow up with an email or note a few days later to thank them for hosting though
    I agree. When you have received formal invites to something, I wouldn't bring anything except a present. Unless I am really close to the host and ask if she needs help/anything.