+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do you always bring something...

When you go to a BBQ/party/dinner etc?? Like a salad or bottle of wine or dessert?

I wasn't really brought up that this was the done thing, but I've realised that a few of my friends do always bring something whenever they go somewhere. I only really do it if the host specifically says to bring something.

Just wondering how common it is for people to always bring something and if I am in fact being unconsciously very rude

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depending on who's house it is. If I don't know them very well then I take something. But really close friends I only take stuff when asked

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd usually just ask if I should bring anything, or if I can help out in any way.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lovemybabies! View Post
    Depending on who's house it is. If I don't know them very well then I take something. But really close friends I only take stuff when asked
    Same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I hate being told not to bring anything it makes me feel awkward

So I bring something, a box of choc or a couple of bags of chips and some drink, depending on what type of gathering it is

Thanks
    Reviews
    I cant go empty handed. Even when told "bring nothing" I will bring some choccies or small thing of flowers etc......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Most of my BBQ's turn into everyone bringing a plate because my friends all insist they do - it seems to be the thing we all do.
    I usually take something to a BBQ or a dinner except when it's at our friends who live far away. If we have to drive 3 hours to get there it's hard to take a salad or a plate hahaha

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    99.99% I am hosting - I think its nice if ppl bring something with them.

If we specifically discuss what to bring I will let them know.

Otherwise, its nice if you bring a bottle of wine, some chips, some chocolates etc.

I am a bit of a cooking control freak so I don't think ppl will bring food much - I tend to plan the whole meal and it wouldn't work so well if ppl brought stuff. But snacks etc are fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If it's to a friend's place, yeah, we take something. To a parent's house.. nope.. there's generally too much food anyway and the whole point of parental bbqs is so the kids can still sponge off them and save a day's worth of food.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

*Need~More~Coffee~Please*  (03-02-2012),skebn  (04-02-2012),Whitman  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    To a friend's house for a play date / Mother's group / morning or afternoon tea then yes, most of the time unless I'm particularly broke & don't have anything in the cupboard or if I can't stop on the way. We all bring something even if it is just one other family coming over and have since we met 5 years ago.

BBQ - Most BBQ's are between our MG friends too and between 5 families, 2 kids each so (1) they rarely happen as everyone is so busy and (2) we always all BYO meat and work out what else each is bringing so one usually does potatoes, one breadrolls for everyone, one does a salad, one does sweets.

If we go to my parents for a BBQ we never bring anything, they generally provide everything for everyone and it's very tasty but they are financially capable of providing when entertaining guests. Occasionally I'll make something or if mum asks me to grab something on the way over we will. Sometimes we haven't been able to go due to not enough fuel for the week if we do (they are an hour away) and they will offer to bring meat etc over here and we will have at home.

If we have one other family over, it's usually a spontaneous thing I've decided to do because we can and I'll provide everything except I don't usually have any drinks besides water and milk in our house so they will usually BYO drink or something to contribute

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk