+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I had a c-section 4 weeks ago due to placenta praevia.

The c-section experience was a positive one. DS was shown to me as soon as he was pulled out then was taken to get checked out. Within a few minutes he was placed on my chest for skin to skin time while the ob finished working on me. DH carried bub to recovery so he got his first cuddles and then bub was placed back on my chest where he stayed until we went back to the maternity ward.

My milk came in on day 3 and had no problems getting bub to attach for his very first feed while I was in recovery.

I made sure to take all pain relief offered so I wasn't struggling and was able to enjoy my first few days with bub. Getting out of bed and walking around for the first time was a bit painful but the more I got around the easier (and less painful) it was. I was sent home with pain killers but only needed these the 2nd day I was home and after this I just took panadol (for maybe another 3-4 days) and then I didn't need anything.

I haven't driven yet but I haven't been back to the ob and I have had my DH home to drive me around so it hasn't worried me.

I agree with PP about granny panties. I'm still wearing mine as I don't want anything rubbing on my scar yet. I also wore loose PJ bottoms and gym pants that have the roll down waist so there was nothing rubbing.

Make sure you get up and walk around while in hospital (once you can) as I don't think I did this enough and it made it a little harder once I was home and having to be up and about doing things.

Housework can wait. Don't push yourself too hard once you are home as you will wear yourself out and may cause yourself unnecessary pain.

Best of luck. If you are nervous, just focus on the fact that you will be meeting your baby very soon!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

mrswatto  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had an emergency C-Section so I endured Labour as well. The recovery was pretty tough and painful. Bub was feeding off me in recovery and my milk came in on day 3. I'm told electives are a lot less taxing on the body. I can say that the experience was very positive in that we still had skin to skin and it was all very relaxed and they did their best to keep me calm (I was a bit of a mess, my birth plan was out the window!). Good luck. I agree with the drugs thing. I was buzzing my middys when they forgot to come in as if you take it regular, it has a better effect. Take whatever they give you!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to emzluvbub For This Useful Post:

mrswatto  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Love this thread, thanks OP for asking the Q! Thinking about the options after my first OB visit and it's great to hear such detailed stories of the experience.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GM01 For This Useful Post:

mrswatto  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an emerg-c under ga. I also laboured for a long time beforehand and it never crossed my mind that I would have a c-sec. I had it at night, was up in the shower on my own the next day, breastfed straight away with no problems. A friend bought me those big disposable underwear (depends) to wear in the hospital so I could just throw them away. The nurses laughed but they were the best. Comfortable, padded and went right up over my tummy button. I used them all and then got granny undies. I was up out of the house after I left hospital and caught the bus everywhere for the first 3 weeks then drove as it was winter and there was no one around to help. I had all the pain relief the hospital gave me then had panadol at home till I no longer needed it. Because I didn't give too much thought to it being a big op I just carried on as usual (within my capabilities). As a pp said. If you accept it then the positive mind set will help.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BbBbBh For This Useful Post:

mrswatto  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an emergency caesar after 11 hours of labour due to failure to progress. (I had begun the induction. 2 days before so it felt like forever, DS did not want to come out). I didn't really want to have a caesar because I was worried about the healing but by then I just wanted him out so I was ready to go for it. I was up and moving, slowly, by the second day. I think the bleeding after was much better than I though it would be and I was told this is because with the caesar they clean it out pretty good. I couldn't stop shaking once it was over for a while but it calmed down by the time I was in recovery. The only thing that I didn't like was the epidural (again I didn't want one of these in the first place) and spinal. The woman putting it in couldn't get it and DH said it looked like she tried about 20 times. I got him to take a photo of the bruise and you can see all the tries and there is at least 12 dots that I can count (in the end she called someone else who got it straight away), it's still numb 10 weeks later around that area. The healing was much better than I thought it would be. I was back to cleaning and bending and reaching 2-3 weeks later. MIL came from OS for a visit and we did a lot of traveling, and walking around while she was here. It only hurt a few days but it was not unbearable. I think it depends on the person though coz things happen differently for everyone. All in all I think I would have a ceaser again, the only thing I would be worried about would be if I had the same woman giving me the epidural/spinal. plus bubs doesn't have a cone head ;-) haha

I was awake for the whole thing I couldn't touch him straight away coz arms were tired down but DH brought him over and laid him by my head so I could see him and kiss him, I was able to hold him in recovery the whole time and he latched on while there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies,

Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences, you really have helped ease my mind!

My OB is great and I know that he'll take care of me and do what is best for me and bub.

In the last 2 days bub has dropped a bit, so I am still hoping for induction (the decision will be made tomorrow afternoon ) but I feel a lot more comfortable with a caesar now that I've read all your stories!

Thank you all again, so much.
    I'll let you know how it goes!

Enjoy your Sunday

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a medically necessary elective cs
    I was scared mostly of the spinal block from past experiences of spinal taps but my aniethiest were fantastic.
    My blood pressure dived during the op and I vomited up dinner from the night before - have a blander meal the night before just in case
    Dh cut dd cord and met her ASAP
    I was on iv morphine for 24 hours until I requested to be taken off as I was really groggy.
    I requested not to wear stockings because of allergies and I was up the next day less than 24 hours later so I felt I didn't need the stockings.
    My milk came in early day 2 despite only feeding dd 3-4 times before because she was in scn (unrelated to the cs)
    I didn't have much pain where I needed pain relief after the morphine was out but it was still uncomfortable laughing and stretching for a few weeks after.
    I started driving earlier than the 6 weeks as I was comfortable with that

If I have to have a cs with newbie ill be requesting skin to skin straight away

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Little-Pink-Hen For This Useful Post:

mrswatto  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefully2 View Post
    Listen the ones who struggle are the ones who mentally ate unaccepting.
    This is so untrue and I really take offense.
    I ended up with a c-section and was perfectly happy with that, as long as my baby was healthy.

Not to scare op but I struggled a lot.
    I hemorrhaged during the procedure and almost needed a transfusion.
    Because of that I ended up being weak and tired for six weeks after as it can take up to three months to get back to a normal blood level.
    It was quite painful but totally worth it.
    C-section was at 12:48am and by 6pm I was walking around with bub, slightly tender but ok.
    My milk took five days to come in so I had to substitute with formula for a day. I bf DS then topped up with a bit of formula so that my milk was encouraged to come in.
    I didn't drive for eight weeks (as recommended)
    This was only nine months ago and I remember it vividly.
    It all in all wasn't so bad.
    Just be gentle with yourself and remember that there is no rush. Enjoy being a mumma!
    Good luck

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lumpy Melon For This Useful Post:

mrswatto  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    my 2nd c/s was a pretty positive birth. They wheeled me in, gave me a local in my spine then the spinal. I was laid down, given heavy sedation (long story) and when I woke up I was in recovery. I was up and moving the next morning, and returned home 48 hours after giving birth.

My suggestions:

grannie knickers for the reasons given
    get up and moving ASAP
    get them to put the catheter in after the spinal, I had mine before and it's owwie
    don't over do it - this is my biggest hint. Keep an eye on your lochia. If you go from pinkand light to red and heavy, it's your body tells up to slow up.
    ask for help, don't be superwoman.
    Take meds if you need it. I didn't have morphine with DS (I seem to have a thing where morphine literally doesn't work for me) but got given digesic on discharge. Very similar to forte but doesn't constipate
    Oh and on that note another hint, have a gentle laxative a couple of days before the op. They won't let you go home until you have a bowel movement and being constipated is not good when you have a large wound in your stomach

16. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

mrswatto  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi! I've had 3 c-sections (all medically necessary), and am pregnant with baby #4.

I have also BF all 3 of my children - the last one until 16 months of age I had no issues whatsoever with my milk being delayed coming in. I had skin to skin contact with my babies in the recovery room and BF them at that time. I also room in and BF anytime the baby looks even remotely interested - wasn't separated from any of them at anytime - even my last one who was preemie.

As for pain - well, yeah - you will have some. Not going to lie about it. But they will give you pain meds to help manage it. With all 3 of my past c-sections I had votaren and endone (they gave suppositories in the operating theatre - nice, huh? But don't worry - because I was numb, I didn't even know they'd been given until I started feeling a little 'floaty' and I asked!) With my first 2 sections I needed I think 2 shots of morphine in the first 24 hours and then after that I was just taking tablets. By about day 3 or 4 I was down to just panadol and voltaren.

My third section was a totally different story because I had complications - but it was not to do with the section itself - long story short, I have other medical conditions, and my difficulties with my third section were a complication of those.

With restrictions after the section, your body will let you know what you can and cannot do. For me, the restriction of having had surgery was not a major problem with my first baby - because I only had her to take care of, and my DH & mum helped with the housework etc. My major problem was with baby #2 and baby #3, because I had very active toddlers at home! In a practical sense, again it wasn't too much of an issue because my DH took a couple of weeks off work - but it was hard for me to cope with not being able to just pick them up and cuddle them for example. So, I found ways to work around it - I sit down and they come to me for a cuddle Just have to be a little careful about the incision getting knocked from a pain point of view - but it IS workable!

I hope this helps somewhat - finding out you have to have a section is daunting, but honestly - the section itself is not that big of a deal, and I found that my 2 'normal' recoveries were not a huge deal either. GL!!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MKSRachel For This Useful Post:

mrswatto  (12-02-2012)