+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default needing advice from those who have done it before ...

Hi Ladies,

Just after advice, reassurance re: caesarean ... as I was told yesterday that I'll probably be having my baby via caesarean on Wednesday

I'm nervous as to the after effects of restricted movement, delayed BF and general pain.

Can anyone share their experiences to help ease my mind?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a csection at SJOG Subi three ish years ago. It was relaxed, easy and no stress what's so ever. I was up by the next morning. My colostrum came in straight away and milk in on day three. I had enough milk to donate to every starving child in Africa! I was driving in two weeks. My husband stayed with me at the hospital just to help pull my pants up and wash my hair etc. I don't recall pain as I took the recommended pain relief. By day five I was off any pain relief. You wear stocking to stop DVT and have these pumps on legs... Feels like a massage. To be honest you are so high and absorbed from meeting your bundle you totally forget to stress about the delivery. Well that was me anyway. It was a sinch. Listen the ones who struggle are the ones who mentally ate unaccepting. What suburb in wa r u I have a great book called delivery by appointment?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hopefully2 For This Useful Post:

mrswatto  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've had two c-sections, one because baby was breach the other by choice as my first was such a relaxed great experience. Both my babies were incredibly healthy, great latchers and my milk came in earlier than just about every other mum in hospy at the time. I also personally found my recovery to be very easy. First two days very painful but after that great. By the time I left hospital I barely felt like I'd had an operation

Just my experience, but they were lovely positive ones

5. The Following User Says Thank You to blondekelli For This Useful Post:

mrswatto  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had an elective c-section for DD2. It was pain free. Honestly I was so worried about the pain but not once was I in any pain. I could get out of bed by that night (had the op at 8am, first on the list). On the second day, moving around after a while like when bathing DD, my stomach would feel sore, like muscle tired as though I was doing sit ups, so when it started to feel like that I just let DH finish bathing her and sat down to watch and I was fine, it wasn't a big deal, but I didn't want to do any damage.

I also stood up straight the first time I got out of bed. I had heard that some people don't want to do that because it feels hard to do. Becuase my c-section was elective I just read that even though it feels strange to stand up straight, as soon as you are, you feel so much better. So I made sure that I stood up straight with good posture the first time I got out of bed and it felt good

I only needed panadol when recovering and I took it because I was afraid of not taking anything. My milk took until my last day to come in, but I breastfed fine when it did, and I had colostrum before that which DD was happy with and was feeding her that constantly.

I had a natural birth with DD1 and I would have a c-section over that any day! It was such a relaxing and beautiful time with DD2.

Congrats on being about to meet your little one!!

ETA at 10 days post c-section we flew to a new city to live with DH starting work the next day. I was so worried and DD1 was 17.5 months as well, but it was fine. I didn't even feel like I had been through surgery. I just made sure not to lift things or drive because I didn't want adhesions, but physically I felt fine to do everything at that point, so I had to remind myself not to lift the washing and my toddler etc.
    Last edited by TinyLittleTootsies; 03-02-2012 at 15:07.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

mrswatto  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a C section with my last and am choosing to have one with this bubs.

I had a wonderful experience.

On the day of my c section I went to the hospital and had to wait for about 3 hours because there were a number of emergency c sections rushed in. The staff were lovely and kept coming to tell me how much longer id have to wait.

When it was time they asked me if i wanted to hop in a wheelchair and they will take me to the surgery room..I cant think of what its called lol!
    I was like 'um, I can walk lol' so I walked into the room and saw so many people in there all waiting for me, I felt pretty special haha!
    I sat on the operating table and they asked me to bend over a little so they could do the spinal block. DH held my hand but there was really no need, I was fine....it didnt hurt at all, just felt bit of pressure.
    After a few minutes of sitting there they helped me lie down and talked amongst themselves which really calmed my nerves...I thought 'they all seem so easy going and relaxed, like they do this all day every day'.
    Someone put a green sheet up that came to just below my chest.

The surgeon came into view and told me he was going to run an ice cube over my belly and down my leg and he wanted me to tell him when I could feel it. He got to the top of my leg and I was like 'I can feel it I can feel it , dont cut!!!' He laughed and said dont worry, no one's cutting till you are ready.

He came into view a few minutes later and said 'did you feel that?' I was like 'feel what?' and he laughed and said 'great stuff'.

DH was happily chatting with the nurses and making them laugh, trying to get them to pose for him as he was taking pics.

So there I was, just lying there, waiting for them to start, listening to everyone chatting which I loved, it was really relaxing.
    I asked the surgeon if he could tell me when he was about to cut so i could, I dont know, brace myself or something. He popped his head over the curtain and said cheerily 'um, we've been in for about 3 minutes now'. I burst out laughing!
    I couldnt believe it, I hadnt felt a thing, and I know you arent supposed to, but I still kinda expected I would know yanno! He also told me the catheter had been put in.

The nurse explained that there would be some tugging and a pulling sensation and I may move around on the table. That was all fine, I found it really weird but funny,I didnt mind the feeling of having absolutely no control over your body...some people hate it...not me.

After about 2 minutes I suddenly felt 'empty'...its the only way to describe it..in that second I knew she was out. They held her up to me over the curtain and then whisked her away to the side of the room to clean,weigh and wrap her. DH took lots of pictures and all the nurses but one disappeared from the room.
    They gave babe to DH who was still sat by my head and we , me and DD, looked at eachother for the first time.
    From walking in the operating room to DH leaving with DD must have only been about 15 minutes.

They explained that DH was going to take DD and wait for me in my room and I was just going to get stitched up. Off they went with the nurse and I was left with just the surgeon and 1 other person...no idea who it was but they got straight to it, again, didnt feel a thing. They talked about football, their partners, what they were doing that weekend,it was really lovely to be able to just lie there, zone out and not have to talk to anyone.
    After what seemed like 5 minutes they said 'okay, all done' and I was wheeled back to my room were bubs was waiting for me.

The nurses were lovely and showed me everything I needed to know.
    I made sure i tried to BF straight away to start stimulating my flow. A nurse came in and expressed a bit of colostrum from me to give to babe as you really had to squeeze to get that stuff out!
    A few hours later I felt my milk come in. I burst into tears at that point. All day I had been fine, but that rush of hormones is nothing like I have ever felt! It was so weird and confusing and emotional lol.

The spinal wore off at some point but I was still hooked up to my drip so the pain never really came until the next morning when I tried to get up.

I say pain, it wasnt really, it was just a pulling feeling when I tried to swing my legs over the bed to get up. I realised id have to take everything really easy and at a snails pace. They had come round earlier and removed my catheter so I was bursting to go the loo which was why I tried to move fast.
    Im pretty sure they removed my drip the following day, they gave me panadol and I kept waiting for all the pain to come, but it never did. I just made sure I took my tablets every 4 hours on the dot.

Getting DD in and out of her lil cot thing next to my bed wasnt really a bother, I just took it really slowly, no sudden movements.

She never left my side the whole time I was in hospital and the nurses gave me my space which I had asked for. I didnt want someone checking on me 5 times a day. I loved just being on my own with her, reading, watching tv and generally chilling out.
    Checking myself out in the full length bathroom mirror was a big no no, my belly looked like a deflated balloon, I found it both amazing and horrifying.
    Peeing for the first time afterwards is a bit odd, its like it sits there, wanting to come out but it just doesnt, you really have to relax and talk it into coming out.

I made sure I went for slow walks with her in her cot every few hours after the first 18 hours as they told me the more I was up and about, the faster id heal.)(I had DD round 1pm and was up walking the next morning). I took it slowly but the more I did it, the easier it was and I found I was able to stand a little straighter each time.

On day 4 I think, a nurse came around to check my stitches, (they had been checking them daily) and asked if I wanted to see....I was like ummm, what if its horrid....
    I looked down expecting the worse but it was so neat!! The stitches had almost gone (dissolvable ) and the cut was just a little red line! I was so happy with it!

I left after 5 days and was off the panadol and generally pain free if I took it slowly. I could walk standing completely upright and at a normal pace. I could do things like pick babe up, make a cuppa, bend down to pick something up from the floor, normal things like that from the moment I got home....just no heavy lifting, and by heavy I mean nothing heavier than a kettle a quarter full, as you will feel it in your cut. It suprised me just how many things I use those muscles for. I was on my first day home and thought I was okay to lift a shopping bag with some milk in it off the dining room table and carry them to the kitchen...silly me, that really hurt.

By day 7 I was almost back to normal, getting in and out of bed at an almost normal pace, doing very light cleaning, that kind of stuff.
    I did have relatives staying with me to help which i really think impacted how fast and well I healed. I didnt really do much for the first week home at all.

As long as you take it easy afterwards, the pain should be minimal. Im a wuss when it comes to pain and I have opted to have another c section, so it really cant be that bad.

Edited to add, by week 3 you would never have thought id have had surgery. Everything was back to normal.I was driving, lifting things, having sex(I know i wasnt supposed to but everything felt completely back to normal).
    Last edited by GothChick; 03-02-2012 at 15:30.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

GM01  (03-02-2012),LoveHeart  (05-02-2012),mrswatto  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My greatest fear was being separated from my baby but she was with me the whole time!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to hopefully2 For This Useful Post:

mrswatto  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a Caesar a week ago and couldn't be more happy with the experience. Mine was the first of the day so I arrived at hospital, they checked me in, I got changed into a gown and waited to be taken to theatre.

I was wheeled down and the anaesthetist introduced himself (after calling the night before) and explained the procedure. Then my obs came rnd to say hi and see how I was. Hubby was taken off to change into scrubs and I was wheeled into theatre.

In theatre I had to sit on edge of table while anaesthetist put the spinal in - didn't feel a thing. Then lay down on table and Cld feel the numbing sensation coming over my lower half. I was hooked up to iv prior and bp machine. Curtain raised and op began. Hubby sat next to me the whole time.

As bubs was coming out it was weird like I was being pulled around but couldn't feel it. Turns out his bottom was stuck! Anyway out he came and they lowered the curtain to show us then took hubby while they cleaned him up, weighed him etc and stitched me up. Once he was clean and wrapped they put him next to my head while they finished me. Then he was placed in my arms as I was wheeled to recovery.

In recovery they did skin to skin and he attached first go! Midwives were awesome!

I was in bed for just over 24 hrs. Hubby stayed and changed nappies and handed him to me to feed. Had no probs with feeding at all. Milk well and truly in around day 4 and heaps of it.

Getting out of bed first time was scary but midwife and hubby helped. I could shower myself and hubby helped me with my undies. Have felt next to no pain. Am still on panadol and nurofen just to be safe.

Am seriously considering the Caesar option for bub no 2. Had to this time because he was breech.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kschoey For This Useful Post:

mrswatto  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mine was an emergency, so not the best situation, but the op itself was fine and I healed really well.

My best tips are:

Granny undies - they won't rub on your wound.

Raise your bed so you slide down (have feet just off the floor) when getting up the first few days as that is less painful.

Lower it a little so you're not dropping too far to get back in it.

Take the drugs. Don't be a hero

Get up as soon as you can and take little walks. I did laps of the hospital and I think it helped me heal quickly.

When changing baby, raise the bed right up so you don't have to bend over too far - a lot less painful than bending over.

Don't reach for things up high. I did once and it hurt like hell! They don't tell you not to do it for fun.

Take it easy and just do things as you feel you can. If something is hurting, stop.

I felt pretty much back to normal by 5 weeks and was doing the majority of the housework after 6. Though I did use the dryer as reaching to hang out still hurt a bit.

Most of all, enjoy your baby. Housework can wait

Good luck!
    Last edited by Californication; 03-02-2012 at 17:33.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

mrswatto  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an emergency CS and wanted one anyways. I definitely wouldn't have a baby any other way now.

The surgeons, obs and midwives were fantastic, very supportive.

I BF bubs about an hour after delivery, I don't think he really wanted to before that anyways. We had skin to skin about 5 minutes after he was delivered in recovery, DH was holding him for the first five anyways.

I was a bit sore that night (DS was born at nearly 9pm) but they gave me enough medication that I was fine. The next morning I was up and walking. I was a bit restricted for the first two weeks but only with bending down if I dropped something on the floor. I was fine to pick up bub by myself from a bassinette while we were still in the hospital. I should add, pain wise, the hospital staff make sure you're comfortable. I am the biggest wuss ever, and I mean, so bad that I hate papercuts and I was ok with all of it and will line up again to have a CS.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Penny88 For This Useful Post:

mrswatto  (12-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I didnt have any issues what so ever. Woke up the next morning & walked to NICU (DH pushed me back in a wheel chair cause i was shattered), milk came in on day 3 & drove within 2 weeks.

I did get an infection on day 10 due to retained placenta.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to TripleTime For This Useful Post:

mrswatto  (12-02-2012)