+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My baby is a little prem born at 35 weeks what to expect

Hi ladies
    on Monday I had a emergency c section due to pre eclampsia bubba came out at 1.9 kg and is in a open cot breathing and keeping his temp, he is beening tube feed and I've just started trying him on the breast they think he will be in for 3 weeks, is that too long? What should I be expecting? I'm sill I'm shock that I've already had a baby!

Thanks
    Reviews
    3 weeks sounds like about the right amount of time. If anything he may come home early.

I had a prem 32 weeks and basically for him to come home he needed to be on all suck feeds (breast or bottle) or he could have gone home earlier with the nasal tube but needed to be on 3 suck feeds.

Their suck reflex starts around 34 weeks so as long as he is feeding he will be home before you know it.

My son came home after 5 weeks and was on all suck feeds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Congratulations!

DS was born at 35 weeks. He was kept in for 2 weeks until he learnt to feed on his own and was taking all suck feeds. At the hospital i was at they don't release any babies before they are 36 weeks and over 2kgs. But the main reason for keeping him in was his feeding. It took about a week for him to start sucking and then another week for him to be having all his feeds on his own

Good luck, it's horrible having to leave them there, hopefully he will start feeding on his own quite fast so you can take him home

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My bub was born at 34+5 by emergency c section due to threatened uterine rupture! She was a whopping 2.9kgs but had no complications! She was also in an open air cot and had no trouble breathing or regulating her temp. She did have some issues with her blood sugar but formula top ups helped. She was also tube fed and on day 1 only attached to the breast twice. On day 2 she attached 4 times and day 3 I asked if we could just try to attach at every feed and still top up. This happened..I roomed in with her and after 24 hours of all suck feeds her tube was removed and we went home. We were very lucky to take her home before the 36 week mark but due to her size and no complications they were happy to let her leave. Noone has really told me what to expect from my bub but now 3 months on what I find is that she is doing some things that a normal 3 month old baby can do like roll over and giggle but other things like grasping toys etc she can't do. She is now a very healthy 5 kgs and is in the 10th percentile for her age but 75th for her corrected age!
    The 4 days (I know it was only short) that she was in the nicu and the days and weeks that followed were the most emotional days I have ever had! Not only did I have to deal with my bub being separated from me..being tube fed..being pricked for sugar tests every 4 hours..being under jaundice lights and having to think about leaving her there I also had the events surrounding her birth to try to come to terms with. This journey will not be easy for you but you will get through it and you will have your bub home with you in no time!
    My only advice is to take each day as it comes..talk to your bubs nurse about any of your concerns..no question is too silly..hold your Bubby as much as possible and cry when you need to. Your bub will be home before you know it and life will be chaotic! I hope your bub continues to gain weight and is home with you very soon xxxxx

Piper Lea Dorey has entered the world! 01/11/11

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    He'll be in untill he can hold his own body temp, feed on his own & maintain weight gain. They say don't expect them hold before their due date, anything before that is a bonus.

My 3 were born at 28 weeks & came home at 7 weeks old.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TripleTime For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (20-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    3 weeks sounds right it will give Bubs time to be able to feed and do all the right things it's hard I know to see your Bubs in there I had 2 boys born at 36 and 37 weeks both spent 1 to 2 weeks in hospital before they went home. If your unsure of anything please talk to the nurses looking after Bubs they Re such a good help and comfort

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations!

Two of my three children were premmie and spent 5 weeks in hospital.

My my most recent baby girl was 1.4kg at 32 weeks. She was and still is tiny.

It is hard to fight the temptation to want them home ASAP but don't rush them.

The extra time in hospital helps them to grow stronger and develop further under hopefully highly qualified and supervised care.

Whilst I was constantly rushing and exhausting myself to spend as many hours as possible with my first premmie in the first few weeks in hospital, for my second premmie I learned that it was important to look after myself as well. Whilst I visited her everyday and expressed for her every 2 hours, I also learnt that I could not spend every waking hour at the hospital.

Remember to look after yourself and baby with time and lots of patience will blossom and bloom. It just takes a little time.

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Congratulations!

My eldest was born at 34 weeks, 5 days. Spontaneous labour started and he was out 2.5 hours later. We were told to expect him in for up to a month. They wanted to transfer him to NICU but they managed to keep him in SCN. After being in an incubator, tube fed, temp regulated, UV etc he ended up being able to come home after 11 days he was born. He had lost 12% of his birth weight but were happy to discharge him once he was only 9% underweight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last month I had a baby induced at 35 weeks. A few weeks prior I was given two steroid injections to help things along because the docs knew they would probably induce early.
    She weighed 2.09kg. We were told to expect 7 - 10 days in special care. Imagine my delight when she spent only two days in special care! (in isolette) Was discharged with me on third day.
    Had a good sucking reflex and took to the boob within 24 hours of birth.
    Congratulations by the way.
    And at home, I will add that bub feeds and feeds and feeds and by six weeks has doubled her birth weight.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime For This Useful Post:

laurea  (08-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been very lucky I don't class my 35 and 36 weekers as prem they never needed any special care and both came home with me 2 days later, it really depends on the baby, some will be in for a few days some a few weeks some not at all