+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Inherited heart problems?

Mods please move if it's in the wrong place.

DP's family has congenital heart issues and I've been told they inherit it but I haven't actually been given names/ details of anything my MIL I'm trying to make sure I'm aware of what I may be in for but I don't even know where to start as some don't show up on scans and the only issues we have had with scans are an irregular heart rate so far which they are monitoring. Does anyone have any idea what hear conditions can be inherited so I can perhaps start asking/ looking into those? TIA

Please don't quote I'll probably edit later

OffwiththePixies is offline I'm Jaz, and I'm off with the pixies all the time!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You need to ask your MIL for specific names of the conditions in the family as they are all different and have different things to look out for. I have a specific heart condition that I was born with and because my Ob could write it down on the referral, the sonographer was able to check every part of the heart specifically and the measurements etc....

She really needs to do this for you, don't be a pushover, be firm. (i know its hard) heart conditions are not to be mucked around with. Sure, not all can be picked up via scan, but it really does help if they know exactly what they are looking for.

Hugs to you, I hope the irregular heartbeat is nothing serious- feel free to PM me if you want to chat about it at all xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you read this web page yet? It must be incredibly frustrating not knowing what you are dealing with. As the PP said, you really would be best finding out the name before you read anything as medical info gives information in all its glory and can frighten you unnecessarily. Is the name of the condition known to your DH or is it a taboo subject? Your GP/OB should really know about this history if the condition has affected anyone in any way, shape or form. It may just be that your DH is a carrier of the gene and your baby not necessarily affected but still, something that your DH's family should not withhold.

If you can get the name somehow, you could also try contacting Heartkids Australia as they have a resource centre and can post you up to date information as well as offer support if you need it.

Hoping you wont need it though
    Last edited by TeenyT; 03-02-2012 at 13:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DP is the type to ignore it till it's an issue for him so he has no clue doesn't even know his blood group.

I'm trying to chase MIL but she is being very difficult about it all and that's getting very frustrating with her being the only part of his family likely to know! I'm ever so thankful she isn't my mother and totally get why DP only ever involves her if she is doing something for him (even if I think she doesn't handle it well and it a terrible mother)