+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default A Little OB rant...

I just wanted to share this conversation I had with my OB recently.

A couple of months ago, I had to have some surgery to repair my perineum following some tearing in childbirth (nothing too major, I had some scaring removed and stitches had been tied too tight after birth) Anyway during my check up recently, I asked the OB if I had a higher chance of tearing again in future deliveries because of the previous tear. She said that yes I was more likely to tear and that it might just be better to have a c-section next time to prevent needing another repair and stitches etc. WTF? How is it better to have my stomach, muscles, uterus etc cut open and sewn back together with a million stitches more preferable than a few stitches in the perineum????

Does anyone else find this a little ironic?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's not just about the stitches.
    I got cut with 1st & tore with 2nd DD and was told this time I would need a c-section otherwise delivering vag again (even if I don't tear) will result in incontenance and not just the wee kind :-/ I am only early 30's - not something I am willing to risk!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    elective so called cutting with someone that knows what they are doing
    compared to tearing and a potential mess

not to mention the pain and recovery time

no brainier for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It really does depend on the extent of your tearing......

However, to require a c/section after a vaginal birth due to perineal damage, no matter to what degree is quite rare. It happens, but not often.
    Yes, urinary and rectal incontinence CAN be a risk, though they are also a risk in C/section.
    I would most definately be seeking a second and if necessary, third opinion.
    Last edited by Roopee; 03-02-2012 at 13:32.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roopee For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (03-02-2012),BabushkaMumma  (03-02-2012),MilkingMaid  (03-02-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would agree that a c-section would be beneficial if things like incontinence etc were a risk, however I only sustained a 2nd degree tear, very common, with no complications such as incontinence, rectal tissue involvement, so I was just shocked at such a suggestion. Will be seeking another opinion I think.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bat Tooth For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (03-02-2012),Roopee  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to mention I have had both a c-section and then a vbac, and recovery time from vaginal birth was a few days, verses a few weeks for a c-section.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bat Tooth For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (03-02-2012),Roopee  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Weird- you may be at a higher risk than previously thought?My first born resulted in a third degree tear (and he was only little) my second and third no tears- only bruising. At no time was it mentioned to me to have a C/S for future pregnancies after my first.Ask why your OB's suggesting C/S...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had neither VB or CS however I had a large open cut appendectomy (rather than by laproscopy, which is more common) and I can vouch that the recovery time for major abdominal surgery is long. Even taking out infection/complications you have at least six months before you're feeling 100%. The scars may look healed well before the muscle is fully repaired. I obviously can't compare this to perineum damage, however I would just push anyone considering a CS to be aware of the extent of the procedure.

Having said that, I'm pro-choice in all aspects of a woman's life and hope the above doesn't come across judgmental.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cakeish For This Useful Post:

Bat Tooth  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cakeish View Post
    you have at least six months before you're feeling 100%.
    I would just push anyone considering a CS to be aware of the extent of the procedure.
    Most c/s are nothing like 6 months not even the 6 weeks and like vaginal births we do make ourselves fully aware of the procedure

yes does come across a little judgemental

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Due to an instrumental Delivery, i had a 3b tear that needed to be repaired due to stitches not dissolving at the 3 month mark.

It was suggested then that I would need a c-section (or I should consider one) for my next birth by the OB for the same reasons stated (incontinence / requiring a bag etc).

I also had serious pelvic floor issues due to having catheters and bladder issues. It took me 6 months to come close to recovery.

But when I recovered I was no longer symptomatic. I returned to great pelvic floor health.

This is the key - if I was symptomatic to the degree I was at the outset, I would look at my options.

As I wasn't, I had a good chance of being able to birth naturally with a better outcome.

As it happened, good management at birth meant that I was able to birth - without any stitches! It can happen and does happen for many women.

I know of more women that have had better birth outcomes after a significant tear than I know of women who are living the worst possible scenario.

If women are though, there are options for repair and surgery that can improve quality of health etc.

I would be getting a second opinion and maybe an assessment of your symptoms (if any) by a physio / osteopath who specializes in the pelvic floor.