+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Please help ease my mind.

I would love to hear some of your experiences with RNS hospital.
    I had my first appointment there this week and I'm not feeling confident about it.
    Is it normal to be left waiting for over an hour in the waiting room for your appointment, with nobody bothering to tell you they are running behind?
    (I had a very bold DS that morning, had I been told they were running late I could have taken him off for a walk)
    I'm 28 weeks, should I have seen an Obstetrician at this visit?
    All I got was a lecture on Gestational Diabetes from a midwife and a list of all the extra appointments I will need to make.
    I spent the day in tears after it.
    I'm finding having a baby in the city so much different to having one in the countryside.
    I knew it was going to be different, but I didn't realise how impersonal it was going to be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    This probably isn't helpful but I had a really really awful experience at RNS hospital. You're going to clinic 9? The wait is long and yeah they don't tell you when you arrive, but I was there with my first baby do I could just bring a book & snacks and plan to be there for 1-2 hours. That wasn't an issue for me.

I won't do the whole 'here's my horror story', but if there's an alternative for you to birth elsewhere I would take that alternative.

I do know people who've had good experiences there, but I also know of a few frighteningly similar experiences to mine.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and best wishes

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's been my experience with every antenatal appointment doing the midwife appointment in 4 different hospitals in 3 different capital cities. The only good part was the end of DD2's pregnancy in a remote hospital and the actual birth in the nearby city hospital.

Seems like most public hospital pregnancy clinics are very overbooked!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i didn't go to RNS, but to the RWH in melbourne. Everyone else said they had long wait times, but i never did as i always booked for the first appointment of the day at 8.30. So perhaps try that if it's possible? it is terribly impersonal, maybe look into getting a doula so at least you know you'll have a friendly and familiar face with you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    IYes that's normal , annoying I know. I think there are just so many women to be seen and that stops it being friendly on clinic 9. I left there in tears before. BUT I had my second baby there a year ago, it was amazing. The midwives where amazing, they treated me so well , I was so supported and it was brilliant . I will be having my third there with no worries about it at all. Every hospital has its horror stories, my first baby was in gosford , I was treated so blandly there o honestly thought I was about to die the things they did to me. My experience at Rns was wonderful , I could say I even loved it. Clinic 9 was the pits though . Good luck , I would recommend it to anyone , they also have huge baths and lovely birthing rooms. Honestly if you ever have to give birth at gosford I would avoid it at all costs but Rns is pretty good. That's onlyexperience out of thousands though . Good luck, it also depends on your situation though , first baby was stuck second was a breeze. Sorry about spelling ,on phone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thanks for all the replies.
    I really appreciate it.
    If clinic 9 is the worst of it then I can deal with it I suppose.
    I haven't had my tour of the birthing suites yet.
    I wouldn't be such a cry baby if they weren't going to insist I go to clinic 9 every week now to monitor my GD.
    I did the test at 19 weeks (or thereabouts) and I knew from the get go that they were making a mess of it.
    It didn't matter what I said , she followed what was written on a sheet in front of her regardless.
    So on paper I have a ridiculously high reading.
    (they tested me at 1hr after 100mls and after 14hrs fasting, instead of 2 hrs after 75mls, I was so sick all day after)
    The midwife at least agreed with me on that one.
    So I have to do my 28 week test again on Monday.
    Now, I know I have GD.
    I am eating right and monitoring it with the blood testing strips myself as I did on the last pregnancy. And so far so good.
    I just don't see why I should have to go attend this clinic every single week from here on in, just to show them my numbers, to me that is much more stressful than having the diabetes itself.
    So.
    After mulling it over.
    I will do the test, then, just go back at my 36 week appointment.
    Obviously if my blood sugars are getting uncontrollable I will go straight in but I just can't sit in there every week for almost 2 hours at a time with a boisterous 3 yr old. (we have no friends and family here so no choice there)
    Why don't they allow people like myself who are just borderline with GD and don't have to take insulin, to just do a weekly check with their doc, or phone in?
    Dragging people unnecessarily ,to an already over run hospital makes no sense to me whatsoever..
    It seems to only to save them paper work and tick their boxes as having done the "right thing", should anything go wrong down the track, and I suppose that's what I'm getting at here, that was the vibe I got from my first visit.
    It was all business.
    Can anyone answer me about the Obstetrician?
    I seen one on my last baby all the way through, even though I was public.
    At this rate I'll be 36 weeks before I meet one.

( Thank Bubhub for Auto-save, I was just about to cry my eyes out, computer crashed right at the end there )