+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default White coat syndrome

I have a bit of a white coat syndrome, it’s mainly related to BP checks, I can feel totally calm if they don’t have to check my BP, as soon as BP machine shows up I feel fear and tension and my heart goes bananas. It’s really annoying me to the point I feel nervous about every appointment with my midwife. I had one yesterday and it did go down once I laid down and breathed for a little bit but now im worried about the next time I have to go in and they have to measure it and of course it’ll be high cos im nervous about it! does anyone have any tips? I have my own bp machine and at home I feel totally fine and it’s always 110/65, it’s only when im nervous at midwifes it’s 140/90 all the time… which in itself is actually still normal but in pregnancy they are always super couceous. I want to give birth in the birth centre and it stresses me out I might not be able to coos of stupid white coat! Help!!!!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Can you take your own bp at home?

Took the red pill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I get really anxious with blood tests and have fainted before the needle even touches me. What I've found helps is to not look. Tell the midwife upfront that blood pressure machines make you anxious so you don't want to see and is it possible for them to take your bp without talking about it, so that they know you aren't just being rude.

Don't watch the bp machine come in. Turn your head to the other side and play a movie in your head. For me, I think about a scene from a tv show I've loved recently, or think about being at an aquarium and imagine watching fish swimming around. The idea is to distract yourself with something you find relaxing so you don't notice what's happening til its over. Every time your mind starts to wander to what's going on, pull it back to your 'scene'.

It takes some practice, but this has helped me through all sorts of anxious situations eg dentist etc. I don't know if zoning it out is a healthy response but it helps me do stuff that must be done, and I've always been 'go with what works' in my philosophy. I hope you find something that works for you.

Good luck.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Missbehaving  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes i have my own bp monitor but when i suggested they just look at the last 10 readings on my monitor she said she'd better do it herself in the birth centre...i guess they have a protocol of some sort...

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A lot of people dismiss it, but some form of meditation could really help you in situations where you are prone to anxiety.

Try this. It can't hurt and worse case scenario is that it doesn't work for you. But you never know!

Just before you go in, close your eyes. Take a really deep breath in - and make it slow. Hold it for a second and breathe out. Try to focus all of your mind on breathing in this way. Don't strain yourself or hold it for too long etc. In your mind, try to create the image of a calming colour - navy blue, dark green, whatever works for you. And do this for several minutes.

If you can do this, you'll hopefully find yourself feeling a lot calmer. I hope it works for you!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have what doctors have referred to as white coat hypertension. Basically exactly what you described. My OB was aware of this & wasn't concerned at all as I had no protein in my urine tests. I think if you let your caregiver know this is what happens and you don't have any protein showing up in pee test then you should be fine..

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks girls! i'll definitely use all your tips next time! i do feel that when i start to breath and concentrate on breathing or sounds i feel much calmer after couple of mintues... im so glad im not alone in this!!! last time i felt like an alien and they never heard of such thing!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm with bubbalugs. Let them know u always experience high BP in a 'medical' setting, ask them to take it once at the beginning and once at the end, my two readings were always hugely different.

For me, I relax into the chair and rest my head on the wall and basically try to have every muscle relaxed, and then I breathe in for 4 counts and hold for 4 and breathe out for 8. In my last pregnancy I wasn't dealing with stress well, and I was having panic attacks, the psych taught me the breathing method and it has really helped me in so many situations, one of which is to bring my BP down. Good luck.

Pretty sure if your BP is consistent they won't worry really, only of it keeps rising over time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Daydream Believer For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This always happens to me.

Last time at the docs I explained to the nurse what I was like....she put the thing on my arm, told me to take a deep breath in, release it slowly and with the release try to imagine every muscle in my body is going to sleep,feel yourself sink into the chair..then she left the room and told me she would be back in ten minutes to check on me....she said that when I felt myself become relaxed I should push the button on the machine myself and take the reading...

I did as I was told and when I felt relaxed I pushed the button and watched the reading come up on the screen, was looking around for a pen when she dived back in the room and checked the numbers! She'd been 'hiding' outside the room! What a great nurse!

The suggestions the girls have given are great...I always try to visualize myself in a park with DD on a sunny day and im watching her play, I breathe in the lovely fresh air and just...relax...