+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Won't Eat From a Spoon!

DS will be 8 months in 2 weeks and is not doing so well on solids.

I started him at 4.5 months on rice cereal and he did really well until about 5.5-6 months. He pretty much flatly refused to have any solids at all, so I just started leaving finger foods on his high chair and let him experiment. He is really happy to pick up pretty much anything I put in front of him and have a chew, but he doesn't really ingest much. He kind of chews and then pushes it out with his tongue. I had him weighed today and he has dropped from the 30th to the 10th percentile.

We have seen a dietician and she gave us some ideas on how to boost the calories that he is eating by adding high fat foods to his diet such as avocado and oils etc. I find this really hard to do however, as he will not take anything from a spoon. He LOVES food like watermelon and cucumber, but unfortunately these aren't going to make him put any weight on. He is pretty good with lumps and different textures. I think it is the experience of sitting there being fed by me from a spoon that bothers him rather than the actual food. Even though I always try and relax, make it fun etc and eat in front of him so I am modelling what to do.

I have tried using foods such as capsicum and apple as a spoon to scoop food into his mouth which worked for a day or two until he realised what I was doing. I've tried different spoons and different bowls and often just let him 'play' with it and make a mess. I have never force fed him and have been pretty relaxed with solids thinking he'd get the hang out of one day, but I am now starting to get worried and am quite fed up with preparing meals which just end up getting thrown out! I even resorted to just letting him suck the food straight from the commercial baby food pouches and can sometimes squirt a bit into his mouth if he'll let me. This worked really well a few times and it had me actually considering feeding him from a piping bag!!!

I guess I am just looking for a bit of reassurance and suggestions. He has always been a fussy feeder from the moment he was born. On the breast, the bottle and now solids. I feel like it is a constant battle to keep him gaining weight and I am exhausted!

His routine is loosely as follows:

7am - Breakfast: I offer kids weetbix as directed by the dietician, but he never wants it. Have also tried rice cereal, no luck. Tried mixing them with yoghurt, still no luck. He will sometimes have 4-6 tsp of yoghurt and then cries until I give him watermelon or some other fruit cut into fingers. Have tried toast fingers with avocado but he isn't that interested.

8am - Bottle: 150-180mls. Sleeps from approx. 8.30-10am.

10.30am - Snack: Rice cake with margarine as directed by dietician. Seems to just play with this, not swallowing much.

12pm - Lunch: If I am lucky he will have about 1/3 pouch baby food, plus cucumber sticks and a cheese stick. He drinks about 30mls water out of a sippy cup. If he has refused all food at lunch, I put formula in the sippy cup.

1pm - Bottle: 150-180mls. Sleeps from approx 1.30-3.30pm.

3.30pm - Snack: About 4-6 tsp of yoghurt, fruit, and 30mls of water from sippy cup.

5pm - Dinner: Very hard to feed at this time. I usually just place 3-4 different things on his high chair and let him go for it. Examples are cooked pasta, shredded chicken, sliced beef pattie, sliced sausage, cheese stick, cooked vegetables, avocado etc. Sometimes (although rare) he will have a few spoonfuls of commercial food from a pouch. If he eats nothing, I'll offer him some yoghurt. Also has a bit of water from his sippy cup.

6.30pm - Bottle: 210mls - usually takes two goes to finish this. Bedtime at 7pm.

2am - Bottle: 100mls, sometimes less. Never sleeps through *yawn*

I have to separate his bottle feeds from his solids by about an hour because he will refuse his bottles if offered to close to food times. I know it's not the way they advise to do things, but it's the only way I can get him to drink his bottles.

Some people turn their nose up at the food I offer him and have suggested that it was too healthy and maybe he doesn't like it and that I should give him custard, ice cream and biscuits to 'fatten him up' instead of meats and vegetables because 'at least then he'll be eating something'. I was pretty determined to ensure that he learns good eating habits from the start and never gets into the habit of eating bad foods, but my confidence has been a little shattered by his poor weight gain. What am I doing so wrong??!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Your not doing anything wrong! Some babies just take longer to "get" solids, food is fun until 1, so just keep offering and make sure he is keeping his bottles up to get his calories and nutrients , we did BLW with DS so I just gave him pretty much everything and rarely needed a spoon, make sure he sits at the table with you and keep offering him what you are eating
    Do you have any allergies in the family? If not try organic peanut butter or almond butter on toast or rice cakes ( full of good fat and protein) also eggs, hard boil them and cut into 1/4 so he can pick them
    Up ( also good fat and calories)
    My DS loved dipping his cucumber into dips so I made hummus , guacamole or tzatiki ( all good fats and high protein)
    My son so was eating grilled salmon at 7 months, grill with lemon
    Juice and olive oil and cut into small chunks ( obviously check for bones) , same with mini meat balls and fish cakes - have you tried him with rice or pasta?
    You are doing well and don't listen to those people telling you to give bad food, I'd say give it another month then see what the dietician/nutritionist recommends , good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    try some vegemite or cream cheese on his veges fixed everything in this house, sounds to simple but worth a try

also DD prefers her cake fork rather than spoon - worth a try

have you also tried a dream feed before you go to bed rather than the 2am if might push in through for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with the PP, you're not doing anything wrong. DS was exactly the same at that age. I thought he was refusing to eat but it wasn't that, he was just refusing to eat if I fed it to him. In the end I just gave up trying to feed him using a spoon altogether and let him feed himself everything and anything including weetbix, yoghurt etc. Our floors are always a bit dirty but so be it! He's now 16 months old and he's kind of getting the hang of using a spoon but will still have the odd day where he won't eat much. I try not to stress about it because I know he won't let himself starve.

Just a tip on the weetbix, try adding pureed or mashed fruit to it. Might make it a bit more appealing to him.

A typical day for us is weetbix with apple mash for breakfast, banana and maybe a rice cracker for morning tea, avocado on toast with a cheese stick and maybe some ham for lunch, strawberries for afternoon tea, penne pasta or zucchini slice or shredded meat with vegies for dinner. The zucchini slice is a winner for days when he won't eat much else!

Thanks
    Reviews
    i think also you are doing a great job of getting him used to good food.
    Elijahs mum has made some good suggestions too.
    my bub was similar, she refused to be spoon fed and so i BLW her sort of. she didnt gain well either for a few months. I also didnt want to give custards and biscuits and she took a good while to take to solids. she improved at 10 months, finally letting me feed her porridge with mashed fruit in the morning. (after sooo many bowls of food thrown out!) anyway around 11-12 months she seemed to really "get it" and started eating heaps. i reckon she is catching up now in weight gain and eats all the good foods you mentioned.

so dont be disheartened. if bub is otherwise healthy meeting milestones and all that then just keep offerring and trying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are doing about all you can, really it's up to your DS to do the rest, he is learning so much so fast! My 8 month old also is not a fan of the spoon. He is loving BLW! Sometimes some goes in, sometimes not. He also loves his mesh feeder thing and that's probably the best way he gets food into himself. One consideration is the temperature of the food, DS1 loved hot (well warmer than I thought was good) and DS2 loves cold food, straight from the fridge, including homemade frozen fruit yoghurt. Maybe play around with the food temperature (not hot enough to burn obviously) and see if he has particular preferences. Hope he settles into feeding soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS2 is 8.5mths and has never taken to the spoon/fork/finger. I just do BLW with him (he is still demand breastfed). He likes fruit and vegetables and things like cruskits with philly cheese and avocado. His weight gain was minimal but he was healthy so i didnt worry too much.