+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Combining breastfeeds with expressed breast milk

So I'll be returning to work in October when baby is about 5 months old (she's due in May) I'm hoping to keep breastfeeding but getting DH (who'll be staying at home) to give her expressed breast milk from a bottle while I'm at work.

Anyone done anything similar and how did you go about it/ did it work for you? I'm trying to find some information but not having much luck. Particularly I'm wondering when to introduce expressed breast milk from a bottle- would a 5 month old take to the bottle well after only having milk straight from the boob beforehand, or is it easier to get her used to both when she's a bit smaller?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Maria

They say that the general rule of 'thumb' for introducing a bottle is not too early but also not too late.

If you introduce bottles too early (before 4-6 weeks), this could affect your supply and could cause some nipple confusion. And also if you wait too long, bubs might not be willing to give it a go!

I gave DS a little try of EBM at approx. 5/6weeks old and continued to do so once every 2/3 weeks after that. I found that this age worked great for us but of course all babies are different!

DS is now 8.5 months and won't drink from a bottle anymore, he thinks it's a toy This is my fault as he had approx. 2 months of just the breast and I think he forgot what a bottle was!

You'll be fine Just do your research (like you already are!) and take it one day at a time

Good luck.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkiCuddles For This Useful Post:

TheMadHatter  (02-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I returned to work one day a week when DS was around 4 months. I spent a lot of time prior getting a good supply of EBM in the freezer (I froze it in 50ml lots for easy defrosting and less chance of wastage).

DH stays home with DS that one day, and we had a few trial run before I went back with DH feeding DS EBM from a bottle - he was probably about 3 months. I didn't want to do it any earlier than that because I had heard it can cause nipple confusion, but also didn't want to leave it too late incase we had problems. DS took to the bottle well and never had any trouble going from breast to bottle.

At work I had to express every couple of hours to make sure there was no interruption to my supply, and when I got home at night I'd freeze the milk in 50ml batches so the stockpile was always full in the freezer.

If you're going back fulltime I would suggest getting a good double pump, as expressing can take longer than what bub would.

ETA: you might need to try different teats etc. I got a medella one specifically designed for breastfed babies, but DH went to a normal one when DS was about 6 months. I also kept right away from the two of them when DH practised giving DS a bottle, so as not to distract DS and let them work out their own way of feeding.

HTH
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 02-02-2012 at 16:06.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm thanks for that. I certainly want to get breastfeeding established first, so maybe around the 3 month mark would be good- and maybe getting DH to do an occasional feed to keep bubba interested in both would work. For building up an initial stockpile of expressed milk, do you just wait until after baby has had a feed and then pump out any leftover milk? I don't want to overstimulate and end up with a huge supply but don't want to deprive baby!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just checked the breast pump I bought ages ago and it's just a single pump, electric though. I'll give it a go and if it's too slow get hold of a double.

Expressing at work shouldn't be an issue though- I'm fortunate in that they have everything there for breastfeeding mums, from the pump to a private room to expressing to a fridge to put it in.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Subscribing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went back to work part time when bub was 10wks old.

I expressed in 100ml amounts (cos that is what the bottles I had held as did the milk bags) first thing in the mornings before work as my supply was highest then and I used to get 150ml out of each boob easily. DH or my mum would feed DD whilst I was away using newborn teats to discourge boob aversion (I had a strong let down and fast flow). But DD never ever ever had a bottle when I was around. I did this because I didnt want her to associate mummy cuddles with a bottle. At work I did express but only would just freeze it for later. If you are away for 2 feeds, only express for comfort for the second one cos bub by then is missing you and will "go to town" wanting a feed. You really need full boobs for when you get home.

Your supply does tend to drop because the babies are much more efficient than machines so I ate oats every day for brekky and that kept my milk supply well.

good luck.... I'm still feeding/expressing at 18mths and 5mths pregnant.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Izzys mummy- I'll be using some of those tips!

My little munchkin due May 2012! So to keep me busy till then, I'm learning how to use my iPhone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I just returned to work three days a week and DD is 6 months old. Around 2 months we started introducing a bottle of EBM, only about 40mLs, given by my DF. I would stay upstairs and pretend I wasn't in the house so DD wouldn't be distracted. She took to it ok. We started giving her a bottle a week for one feed whilst I did the groceries. Then I'd go to a friend for a day and DF would feed her for the day.
    I had an oversupply at the start, so I had no issues with stockpiling milk. However I always found that I'd have the most on the morning, around 6am.
    Now I wake up, give DD a feed, go to work, express twice during the day. Bring the milk home put it in the freezer, then give DD a much needed feed.
    To start with bottle only ever was given by DF, but now se take it from DF, my mum, my dad and the various friends that have babysat her. However I have never given her a bottle and I never will as I want her to know that mummy only gives b00by

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nudge88 For This Useful Post:

TheMadHatter  (06-02-2012)