User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Studying FT, working PT while raising a family?

Hi everyone,

So I've been a SAHM ever since DS was born and doing the odd jobs here and there. DS is in day care for 2 days a week and DH works full time to support us.

I've been accepted to do my Diploma of Nursing Full Time(3 days a week) and I can't wait to start! I have also recently been offered a part time job at a hospital as a switch board operator, they work on a 24/7 roster.

The extra income would mean we would be a little better off financially but I'm concerned about burning myself out and not being to spend enough time with my family or studying enough.

Is it doable? Will I be setting myself up for failure if I do it all? Has anyone ever done it before? Any advice/suggestion will be great.

Thanks in advance
    Me (21) + He (22) = Baby (18 months)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HannahMadison For This Useful Post:

AussiePinComAu  (05-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It isnt easy but definitely doable..

Im a single Mum, struggling to afford general life

I have two kids, one is in school, one is in kindy,

Im 22 weeks pregnant.

I'm studying full time

For me it isn't exactly ideal, but SPP just doesnt offer enough to survive in my situation in the long term, with large cut backs due to "child support" (which I never actually get lol)

Working in retail and hospitality is equally as impossible, with the industry wanting workers avail all ours, all days, on minimum wage and no leaves whatsoever

I wake at six and frantically get my kids ready

I leave by 7 to drop them to school and kindy

I make it just in time to tafe at 8:30 (4 days a week)

I leave at 3:30

I pick them up and get home by 4-4:30

I spend all afternoon/evening

doing homework with them,
    changing them,
    p
    utting on uniforms to wash and iron
    cooking diner,
    unpacking bags,
    bathing them,
    putting them to bed with stories,
    cleaning up giant mess
    doing dishes,
    re packing lunches for them and me,
    packing bags ready for the next day,
    organising clothes for the next day,
    studying

then flopping to sleep on the couch at around 10:30pm. Just to do it all the next day.

My course finishes 1 month before baby #3's due date!!

It can be done, once you fall into a routine, you are exhausted, but alive, and it will better your life in the end

(in my case I can eventually afford milk and proper food ALL the way through the fortnight, afford my new baby, pay my elec bills in one hit, and buy clothes when we are breaking out of our old ones, and actually keep up with rent all the time )
    SAHM Writer, Blogger and aspiring Author

Me (25) DH (26)
    DS1 (6) DS2 (3) DS3 (1)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiplusthree For This Useful Post:

AussiePinComAu  (05-06-2012),risen  (11-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm about to go back to work 3 days a week and am considering a degree via distance. I'm going to start work first and see how we manage it. I'll need to do 2 bridging courses before starting the degree so I'll do those as a tester this year to see how I can handle study/work/family.

I would recommend doing one thing at a time - in your case I'd start the course then if you're coping well with the workload, consider a part time job. Taking it all on at once might be a bit stressful!
    August 2010 @ 6 Weeks
    DD arrived 4/8/11
    TTC#2 since June 2012
    3rd round IVF/PICSI October 2013 - BFP!!! EDD 22/7/14

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Kiplusthree - people like you amaze me!! What are you studying?
    August 2010 @ 6 Weeks
    DD arrived 4/8/11
    TTC#2 since June 2012
    3rd round IVF/PICSI October 2013 - BFP!!! EDD 22/7/14

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Cert 3 Business Administration, and I'm one of 3 women in my class who are pregnant with families studying it FT

It's relatively quick and easy though which is why I think I'm handling it all, MYOB accounting and Bookkeeping is probably the hardest subject within it, the rest is just learning how to use office prgrams for administrative puposes like spreadsheeting, mail merging, memo's/letters, powerpoint, OHS etc. I'll be using it plus some temp work part time after bub to get in to do the Diploma of HR and possibly Bachelor of business majoring in HR later on

I wouldn't start a Bachelor degree in science or anything that would take a huge amount on a steep learning curve until after I'm finished having kids/etc, and even in a simple course it is still a strain, mostly from the travel and making sure everyone is ready each day coupled with normal mumming :P

I agree working as well would be intense.. I'm sure if you have to do it you have to do it, but I agree that if you can take one at a time and focus on each it would work out much less stressful.

And thank you so much! As mentioned I'm just sick of seeing my kids have to miss out on anything beyond basic food etc..
    SAHM Writer, Blogger and aspiring Author

Me (25) DH (26)
    DS1 (6) DS2 (3) DS3 (1)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's absolutely doable!! I have two young children and work full-time shift work as a nurse (which is actually a 50km drive from home as I live out of town). I am also studying for a teaching degree at greater than full-time (trying to do a 4 year degree done in 2 years)......If I can do it anyone can
    Mummy 30 (Nurse, studying primary teaching) Daddy 39 (Civil Engineer)
    Our little Princess (6)
    Our little Prince (1)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pizzle For This Useful Post:

86cin  (05-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It is doable in the short term, but not the long term.

I had no problem in the short term, but after years I crashed (emotionally). The lack of support at home (lazy self centred husband) also contributed.

If you dont have support, then I would reccomend analysing yourself and setting a time limit of 6 months - 2 years depending on what you think you can cope with. If you do have support, then lean on it and re-evaluate every six months. Dont drive yourself into the ground.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

manoora  (14-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I reckon it is doable but each person is different. You dont want to burn out completely and then have no energy or time for yourself. Assess your situation carefully. Take care and all the best.