+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Stuffed Capsicum!! YES. I was struggling for dinner ideas tonight and that sounds fab!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pinkzy For This Useful Post:

share a book  (02-02-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    dahl & rice
    Chilli beans and rice
    curried potato, cauliflower & chick peas with rice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Canned beans make good healthy food.
    Kidney beans cooked with a curry paste or powder and tinned tomatoes. Add frozen spinach for colour and texture.

Chickpeas cooked with onion garlic Ginger chilli and tinned tomatoes. Add potatoes to bulk it out. Green peas for colour.

Chickpea patties with all the veggies that are halfway dead and boiled rice.

Any dahls with spinach

If you want your rice with all it's starch and filling nature make sure you don't wash it prior to cooking.

Boiled rice and four bean mix was a fav of mine when younger. I just drowned it in tobasco.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a risotto dish that I make when we get to the end of the week. I normally use chicken but easily use vegie stock and omit chook

Aborio rice
    Pumpkin cubed or grated
    Chicken stock
    Teaspoon wholegrain mustard
    Squirt of honey
    White wine if handy but not necessary
    Sprinkle Parmesan
    I sometimes add spinach or sour cream for richness at the end

It's yummy

Bfp!!! Little bug due 25/6/12

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Baked rice

Sweat and onion an garlic in a pan with some olive oil. When translucent, add cubed sweet potato, zucchini, mushroom (whatever veg you fancy really!) until slightly browned.
    Combine veggies and arborio rice in a large baking dish. Add a tin of tomato soup and vegetable stock - enough so that the liquid is about 2cms above the rice. Season well and add any herbs you like (I use dried oregano and thyme.)
    Bake for around 40mins at about 180 or until rice is tender. Stir occasionally, adding more stock if it seems too dry or starts to stick to the bottom.
    Serve with grated Parmesan. Its also nice if you stir in some baby spinach at the end.

This is a Fave in our house.!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Molly Coddle For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Back in my uni days if we were really poor we would joke about how we would have to live on rice and sauce for the rest of the week!

Really though I do a cheap veggie fried rice with mainly grated carrot and zucchini. It's yummy with a bit of chilli and soy sauce

Thanks
    Reviews
    After reading this thread I made curried potatoes with brown rice for dinner and loved it! It takes practically no ingredients but is really tasty

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TheWillowTree For This Useful Post:

share a book  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try mixing a packet of taco seasoning through rice with tomatoes and beans mixes through it's yummy and cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Biryani!!! I only know how to do it in a rice cooker - rice, biryani paste (can get a big jar from Indian spice shops), 2 bay leaves, 3 cloves, 3 cardamom pods, diced tomato, diced onion (browned). Whack it all in the rice cooker, add some water, stir & cook!

Initial costs might be a little higher than you want but once you have the biryani paste, bay leaves, cloves & cardamom pods, you won't need to buy any for ages :-)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoonMoon For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (03-02-2012),share a book  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mmmmm Biryani! My mum makes several different types of that and I usually end up eating way too much of it at my folks place .