+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Can crying/emotional harm the baby?

Can crying being emotional everyday all day harm the baby?

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be honest, yes I think it does. Crying and constant change of emotions causes stress which can cause a lot of issues with your unborn baby. You need to get your emotions under control for the sake of yourself and most importantly, your unborn baby.

I have had a very stressful pregnancy and a lot of it has had to do with my partner being away for work and not at home. I've broken down into tears on many occasions and I swear my baby feels it because for the next 2 - 3 days the baby is very quiet... almost like it's too scared to come out and kick even when I try to encourage movement.

My only advice is find the cause of your changing emotions and fix it, talk about what you're feeling as you may find it easier to speak than bottle it up and deal with it alone. If you feel upset find something to take your mind off whatever it is, read a book, watch telly, do some puzzle books, go on the computer or whatever else there is that you like to do in order to relax. Just remember to stay away from cigarettes and alcohol!

Best of luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In my unprofessional opinion -yes. Happy stress free mums have happy stress free babies.

But there is a difference in emotionally happy and sad due to hormones and emotionally distressed due to circumstances.

I believe that the former is fine but the latter can effect the baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Maybe - maybe not. I don't think it's good for the mother though. Could be PND?

I'd want to talk to someone if I was crying all day every day.

I don't think stressing about how your emotions - which often you can't just snap your fingers and change because you want to - effect your baby is good for you or your baby.

Smiling and not crying and being 'fine' while crying on the inside isn't exactly healthy either.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (02-02-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    if it is constant (for more than a few days) then yes it can affect your baby via an excess of cortisol. But in saying that it would have to involve excessive emotional turmoil over long periods to have any real negative effect. Try to avoid to much negativity, but some is unavoidable.

Good luck with your pregnancy

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think so. My DP and I went through a really bad breakup when I was 14 weeks pregnant with DS1. I was pretty stressed/depressed for the rest of my pregnancy.
    My DS is a wonderful, amazing, smart little boy, but he does get stressed very easily, and I definitely think that my being so stressed out during pregnancy had something to do with it. That's just my opinion though, who knows.
    This time around I'm trying to remain as calm and happy as possible

Thanks
    Reviews
    I cried a lot with both my pregnancies and was very emotional. Both my kids are calm, happy, healthy kids
    You can't do anything to change your emotional state during pregnancy, so I'd stop worrying about it, and focus on things you can control that effect the baby (moderate exercise, eating well, avoiding alcohol) will have a much greater impact on baby's health than you crying!!

And if you think it is more than just hormones, perhaps mention it to your gp, in case it's ante-natal depression. Hugs to you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can only talk from my experience but I had a severe car accident at 14 weeks that sent me into quite a depression and cry almost every day with worry. Also after having DD I spent every feed for the first 4-6 weeks screaming at the top of my lungs and crying constantly. It was traumatic for me and dp but DD she was just so relaxed the whole time, happily eating away not appearing anxious etc. She is a very happy content settled baby now so who knows if it affected her. I would recomend seeing the gp though. You deserve to be happy and enjoying your pregnancy and then new baby