+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default School ages children

My daughter is 5 and in prep this yr. She's diagnosed ASD and is in a special education prep class in our local primary school. There are about 9 kids in her class, 1 teacher and 1 permanant aide.

Alex has been getting into a lot of trouble. It's only week two and things are going downhill. She is so angry and gets frustrated when she cant control things.

So far she's spent an awful lot of time in time out on the 'thinking chair' and has been kept in at lunch.

I don't know what to do!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Are there Amy activities you can provide to help her calm down?
    Mr 6 started school during last year (he has spd and suspected asd) and we worked with him and his teacher to find ways to help him cope.
    Stuff like, letting him wear a hoodie so he can hide in the hood if he's [mentally] overstimulated, he has a beanbag for sensory stimulation. wheat bag, play dough in a plastic bag etc - and we're trying to phase them out as he learns to cope with school on his own :-)

So trying to use some of the things he uses at home to calm down, and trying to help him calm down at school...

I'm sorry to hear she's having a less than perfect time of it lately :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    thankyou for the ideas, i will have a talk with her teacher and see if we can come up with some stratagies.

I'll also speak with her psych next week and see if she can go in and shed some light too.

Its just so hard.

babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Does she get breaks? Other than the normal ones I mean. In the 2 years since starting school my DS has spent almost every day in trouble because of his anger, frustration and aggression. I changed his school this year and he is doing great, his teacher is amazing. When she sees him start to lose the plot she will call for a teacher aide to come and take him for a walk, let him go play with a ball for a few minutes or give him fun little jobs to do and it is totally making the difference. He is excited to go to school and loving it, whereas before he was really unhappy. I know every ASD child is different so its really hard but just sharing what seems to be working for us now. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    thankyou for sharing babalooba. I'll ask her teacher if this could be an option. Im thinking we need a meeting with her teacher and ot and possibly psych to work out some tactics.