View Poll Results: Do you use smacking as a discipline method?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 34.04%
  • no

62 65.96%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leah28 View Post
    Yes, though very rarely.

My parents raised their 3 kids very well and it included the occasional smack when it was warranted so I'm not opposed to a disciplinary smack.
    100% with this

So yes is my answer

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes. Not often at all but I have smacked both ds and dd and will probably again if the need was there. Not hard (would never do it hard)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I voted yes, on occasion...when all else fails and I really don't want to turn around and go home... last time i remember was near the top of a long christmas queue at the post office, dd2 was being a brat so she got a smack on the back of her hand.

Quote Originally Posted by GluttonForPunishment View Post
    The OP is just looking for simple yes or no answers. So for those who don't smack, how about we keep the judgement of those who do out of it and just reply as the OP has requested?
    I was going to comment further but this ^^^ changed my mind, and judging by the number of thanks you got GFP, I'd say I'm not the only one

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiemumoftwo View Post
    What is 1,2,3 magic?
    AussieMumof2, its adiscipline method, its basically timeout but it focuses on the parent staying calm and in control, it worked really well for us... Basically you say 'please come for your dinner' and instead of standing there saying 'did you hear me? Come now, dinner please... COME ON... How many times to i have to ask you...etc etc, you just say 'come for dinner" and if there is no response you slowly count to 3, then implement timeout or whatever consequence you have decided on. the child has had it all explained to them so they know what will happen when you get to 3. they catch on fairly quickly too! usually now I just have to say "one" and dd1 does what she is asked lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    No we don't smack in our household As someone else said, hitting your partner is DV and against the law. I don't see the difference with a child except they are younger, even more defenseless and have less impulse control

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (02-02-2012),wrena  (02-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't use it as a method of discipline. But I have smacked DD on a very few occasions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    No we don't smack in our household As someone else said, hitting your partner is DV and against the law. I don't see the difference with a child except they are younger, even more defenseless and have less impulse control

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsTiggyWinkle View Post
    AussieMumof2, its adiscipline method, its basically timeout but it focuses on the parent staying calm and in control, it worked really well for us... Basically you say 'please come for your dinner' and instead of standing there saying 'did you hear me? Come now, dinner please... COME ON... How many times to i have to ask you...etc etc, you just say 'come for dinner" and if there is no response you slowly count to 3, then implement timeout or whatever consequence you have decided on. the child has had it all explained to them so they know what will happen when you get to 3. they catch on fairly quickly too! usually now I just have to say "one" and dd1 does what she is asked lol.
    I know different families do it different ways but I thought eating dinner was a go behavior not a stop one? We only count stop behavior (so basically anything obnoxious or anything that takes less than 2 minutes, like going to wash hands if they refuse).

For the person that asked here is my reply..It's basically a no-emotion non-physical way of disciplining, and you don't have to use time out after 3 it shows you 7 different punishments ie if DS is not using his inside voice I would count 1 2 3 (5 sec gap between counting) and at 3 I would put him outside and say "that's 3 and outside" (which is the alfresco area right outside our family/dinning/kitchen area so he can see and hear us he either stands there or goes and plays which is fine. For dangerous behaviors ie hitting its straight to 3 (and we would use time out) if they are being dangerous with a toy I would say 3 and your xyz goes in the cupboard. The point of it is is that you dont talk or use emotion, there is no arguing even after they finish time out they just go play straightaway there is no talking it through which I find works really well.

Took the red pill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nope never.

My dad tapped me (in jest) the other day in front of my kids.... DD(3) response was "Poppy there is NO smacking in this house. You are very naughty. You need to go to time out to think about it."

Bless her cottons - my parents are horrified that I dont smack.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Raising Leprechauns For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (02-02-2012)