View Poll Results: Do you use smacking as a discipline method?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 34.04%
  • no

62 65.96%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarylee View Post
    Nonkne had to just answer yes or no, I said that it would do. I'm fairly new here and I didn't want anyone thinking I was starting a big smacking debate to stir the pot so to speak

The reason I just did yes or no is in my opinion if you smack occasionally, you still smack so I would consider that a yes, regardless of how often.

A tap and a smack to me are the same. They both inflict an amount of pain to gain a result (being slightly or quite painful)

It's interesting to see the responses!
    Thanks. I think the results would be off then with so many saying no despite admitting they have, or saying it's a tap, or it's so rare it doesn't count.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I say similar in these threads all the time.

Sure, I don't hit my partner, he doesn't hit me. He also doesn't send me to time out, make me go to bed early, ban me from seeing friends for a certain period of time, cut off my income (for kids, pocket money), etc etc. The thing is, our relationships as adults is different from my relationship with my daughter... who I am supposed to raise. It's not my job to raise DP. If he does something that makes me angry, I tell him about it (or sulk, and hope he'll figure out... that's more likey... lol). His only punishment is dealing with my foul mood as a result of his "poor behaviour."
    The thing is you are trying to change his behavior - to teach him not to do the thing that upset you. it is the same a what we do with kids IMO. There are many many people who do use violence against partners or Friends to teach them To change their behavior - and it wasn't long ago that it was Legally ok to do so to spouses. Soon we will be saying the same About smacking kids : http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/...tm?site=sydney

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    never and never will

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks to those with the information for me on the 1,2,3 magic concept. I looked into it and found a course that starts in my local area in two weeks! I'm still waiting for the bookings administrator to return my call but am very excited about doing the classes! Thanks again :-)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to aussiemumoftwo For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (08-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes. Although not often.
    Can I also just say, that I was smacked as a kid, and I like to think I'm a quite rounded and normal person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No we don't smack.... My reason is because the only times I have 'felt' like smacking my kids is when I'm so frustrated with them and at my whits end... So that means its really about me and my feelings and not about 'teaching' our kids right from wrong.... I mean that's what it's all about isn't it?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nicoleE For This Useful Post:

GothChick  (09-02-2012)