View Poll Results: Do you use smacking as a discipline method?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 34.04%
  • no

62 65.96%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post

The last time my 5 year old HIT - (as in punched him in the back !!) my 6 year old (this morning to be exact ) ..I warned him that if he was a big person - chances are he would be having the police called on him and charges for assualt being laid.
    This isn't to make him afraid of police - but to make him aware that we have certain boundaries in our society.
    I had the exact same conversation with my 6 year old yesterday after she hit me and threw things at the window in a fit of rage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes we do, not all the time but if it's dangerous behaviour or something he has been told not to do 1000000 times then yeah he will get a smack on the bum or hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnymummy View Post
    I don't hit my husband, parents, sibling, friends, workmates or strangers.

Why would I hit my babies?
    You don't hit your siblings??? I thought everyone did that

4. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

sunnymummy  (03-02-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    You don't hit your siblings??? I thought everyone did that
    LOL!

Farmerwife is offline Excited & Nervous about being a mum for the first time in August :-)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    The last time my 5 year old HIT - (as in punched him in the back !!) my 6 year old (this morning to be exact ) ..I warned him that if he was a big person - chances are he would be having the police called on him and charges for assualt being laid.
    This isn't to make him afraid of police - but to make him aware that we have certain boundaries in our society.[/QUOTE]

Haha!! This reminded me of what my mum did for my brother. He went through a shocking phase of hitting (mum is sure it was from a little boy at playgroup who would bail him up & hit him) anyway mum would not tolerate it so when he hit my little sister after she had told him the same thing you said about the police and had still done it again she packed him up in the car & drove him all the way into town (45 minute drive) to the front of the police station! Then he finally got it. He is a great kid (19 now) but was definitely dad & mums challenge, the other 4 of us had to 3 for out countdown but he had to have it extended to 10! I guess discipline sometimes needs to be adapted to the child.

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawzette View Post
    I never understood this argument. Do you actually discipline those above mentioned people? If timeout is your means for discipline, do you put those above mentioned people in timeout? If not, then why to your kids... It just doesn't make sense.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    I think it does make sense if you think of it like this…kids copy adult behaviour & learn from us how to deal with other people.

So if you wouldnt treat others in your life that way (hitting them or tapping them to alter their behaviour) then you probably don't want your child to model that behaviour either.

The fact that some people say "but my child is too young to understand any other form of discipline" is what I don't understand, because if they are too young to understand then why use discipline at all & why not just distract them from the bad or dangerous behaviour & teach them the right behaviour when they have the mental capacity to understand. Tone of voice is usually enough for a child to understand that something is a no go & as long as you give them a cuddle afterwards so they know you still love them it can be very effective. And as other posters have said, it is our responsibility to make a safe environment for our children rather than our childrens responsibility to learn to avoid things that are dangerous in case they get a smack.
    Last edited by Ulysses; 03-02-2012 at 14:39.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ulysses For This Useful Post:

1+1=5  (03-02-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    they had a story on sunrise this morning about a similar thing - a woman smacked her son so he went into his room & called the police……she then had to explain why she had to hit him etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by skebn View Post
    I am a smacker (none of my own kids yet) of any child in my care if they need one.... Friends and family all know this and all smack aswell. Dont worry i wouldnt smack a randoms child lol

Sarah :-)
    Where do you live? I want to make sure I never go there and that there is ZERO chance of us ever being friends.......

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Raising Leprechauns For This Useful Post:

chameleon  (03-02-2012),delirium  (03-02-2012),Speedy  (03-02-2012),sunnymummy  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would Neva smack someone else's child and I would be so mad if someone smacked my child even a family member.
    We don't smack in our house and it works for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    on doc phil the other day they had a story about a man who walked up to a kid in a shop (the kid was with the mum & i think about 5 years or younger) who was having a tantrum & smacked he smacked kid right in front of the mum - he got a 6 month jail sentence. Some people just don't get it, it's never ok to put your hands on someone elses kid like that.