View Poll Results: Do you use smacking as a discipline method?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 34.04%
  • no

62 65.96%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have a level system in place, depending on the severity of the behaviour/issue there might be a warning, time out on the step, taking something away (like a ds) and a smack is the last level. Both my kids generally no longer go any further than the step.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No.

(and sorry - on a parenting forum ..a subject like this isn't going to have just 'yes or no' answers ...plus what a freaking boring thread THAT would make! A page full of yes, no, no ,yes, no, no,yes , yes, yes ... pretty sure it can be 'discussed' ..people have their reasons FOR and reasons AGAINST and they should be able to say so -- I think anyway)

So that was my short answer up there "no."

buuut... my not so short answer is... No - I don't use smakcing as a form of discipline -- I am also human though and can count in one hand the times I HAVE reacted and smacked my children...
    Once was when DS1 was about 10 months - I as a new mum, and going by what all of those around me do and suggest - 'tapped' my sons hand for repeatedly opening teh dvd drawer - his little face looked so shattered - I picked him up and cuddled him, feeling sick in my stomach - thought 'far out..he is only a baby , having fun and exploring - why the fruck did I do that *dry retch*'
    Another time was just recently when DS2 was lying down with my giving me a cuddle at bedtime and he snapped and scratched my face - my reaction was a whack - I didn't even think about it - my hand just did it. It was like when you knock on your knee cap and you leg reflex it to kick out.

Smacking is infact illegal in a lot of countries and those countries don't ALL have major 'out of control' issues as a result.
    I would be furious if a teacher smacked my child, I would be very cranky if my parents or DPs parents smakced my children and I would be pretty much livid if a friend or othermother at the park smacked my children. -- so I choose not to do it myself.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

delirium  (03-02-2012),Ulysses  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    5ITB that's why I think it's better to have a blanket law regarding physical punishment. I don't hold strong opinions on those who do smack their children but boy have I seen children BELTED with their parents hands on their behind. And because it's considered "smacking" - it's perfectly legal!

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    no, we don't smack here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes. Recently tried to smack my 12 year old. But she raised her arm in her defense so with an arm in the way and a toddler on my hip in all my fury I decide to kick her. I kicked as hard as I could with a bare foot and hit her shin bone. I swear my foot broke and I limped for 2 days. She left the scene rolling her eyes at me. What did I learn? That I desperately need to brush up on some karate moves.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ThreePeasPlease For This Useful Post:

DaddyLarge  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    No.

(and sorry - on a parenting forum ..a subject like this isn't going to have just 'yes or no' answers ...plus what a freaking boring thread THAT would make! A page full of yes, no, no ,yes, no, no,yes , yes, yes ... pretty sure it can be 'discussed' ..people have their reasons FOR and reasons AGAINST and they should be able to say so -- I think anyway)

Some of us can manage with a yes or no answer and not feel the need to explain ourselves. *shrugs*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    5ITB that's why I think it's better to have a blanket law regarding physical punishment. I don't hold strong opinions on those who do smack their children but boy have I seen children BELTED with their parents hands on their behind. And because it's considered "smacking" - it's perfectly legal!
    The law says a single, firm smack with an open hand is ok on the hand, backside, or back of the leg, not hard. If a mark is left, it becomes abuse. If it's more than once, it becomes abuse. If it is with anything other than an open hand it becomes abuse. If it's anywhere else on the body it becomes abuse.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

shockinamillion  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've heard that share a book. I've still seen children belted under those circumstances. What I consider a belting anyway.

I know when DP and I muck around and we 'smack' each other (you know, just mucking around in the kitchen) he gets me in this spot at the top of my backside and OUCH, it REALLY stings... like, we need to stop playing stings. Doesn't leave a mark.

I think a lot of children would feel this at times, too.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    Some of us can manage with a yes or no answer and not feel the need to explain ourselves. *shrugs*
    yes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A smack is also not meant to cause pain, nothing more than a single, firm jolt. Again, I wonder how accurate the results are if people have different thought on what a smack is.