View Poll Results: Do you use smacking as a discipline method?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 34.04%
  • no

62 65.96%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skebn View Post
    I am a smacker (none of my own kids yet) of any child in my care if they need one.... Friends and family all know this and all smack aswell. Dont worry i wouldnt smack a randoms child lol

Sarah :-)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chocolate All Gone Now For This Useful Post:

Raising Leprechauns  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a smacker (none of my own kids yet) of any child in my care if they need one.... Friends and family all know this and all smack aswell. Dont worry i wouldnt smack a randoms child lol

Wow!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to insanity For This Useful Post:

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No, absolutely not!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raising Leprechauns View Post
    Nope never.

My dad tapped me (in jest) the other day in front of my kids.... DD(3) response was "Poppy there is NO smacking in this house. You are very naughty. You need to go to time out to think about it."

Bless her cottons - my parents are horrified that I dont smack.
    I LOVE this!
    And I don't believe in smacking but think I have smacked my 3 year old once or twice out of exasperation, then felt horrific and apologised immediately. So I shan't answer the poll as I'm preferring the 3rd option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I have smacked, but it wasn't about discipline, it was my frustration and I can never justify it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No, and I won't ever.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I give my husband a good wallop from time to time. Keeps him in his place.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (03-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Myself and my two siblings were never smacked and we all turned out fine, however later in life I wondered at how my parents got such well behaved children without the use of this ancient discipline and I realised that they made us really feel bad if we did something they didn't approve of.

So much so, that now when I do something wrong I am horrified at myself, I feel sick with guilt and so avoid doing anything wrong all of the time. I am a classic goody two shoes.

Unfortunately I feel this way even when I just make a simple mistake. So I wonder, would it have been better to have a slight cringe at remembered pain when I do things wrong, then to be saddled with this self-discipline of sickening guilt and horror, that can last all day just for a simple error?

Probably often smacks are also accompanied by the same emotions so maybe I'd be the same but with a pain cringe as well. But I think my story is food for thought when children are disciplined, a child might not be smacked but may be made to feel unreasonably bad about their not quite right behaviours.

There probably should be some balance, if you're not smacking, are you making them feel really really bad, or is your non-smacking discipline quick short and effective, and not causing lasting emotional damage?

I definitely think you can discipline without smacking, but I think I will have to be very careful how I do that if/when I have kids of my own, because I don't want them to be as stressed out as an adult as I am!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did but always on the bottom with him braced against my leg so there was no jarring. Having said that, we didn't need to do it often as he was a good kid. The funniest was he threw a tantrum in Franklins and we told him to stop or we would smack is bare bum he didn't, so we did. Never had to do it again because he knew we would do it. Also 'Smacking Games', he'd hit us so we hit him back softly, and if he hit again we'd go "Oh, Smacking Games" and every time he hit us we hit him harder, only on the hand though. We won that one too.

Most of the time the tone of our voice was enough to stop him and he was a very well behaved child and has grown into a wonderful young man:-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellie01 View Post
    Unfortunately I feel this way even when I just make a simple mistake. So I wonder, would it have been better to have a slight cringe at remembered pain when I do things wrong, then to be saddled with this self-discipline of sickening guilt and horror, that can last all day just for a simple error?
    I am the exact same, I will go over the smallest mistake over and over in my mind, until I almost have to smack myself in the face to snap out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    So I wonder how many answered no, but have smacked? Maybe that 3rd option of "I have but I prefer not to" would have given more accurate reslts?
    I would have ticked that box as it has happened so rarely.
    My Dh would be all for smacking but doesn't , as I am the one doing most of the disciplining throughout the day.

If some one smacked my child I would have to be restrained.
    Family or friend.

This was topic was on The Today Show this morning.
    I reckon they scour parenting forums for topics from time to time, happens too often.
    Last edited by Phony; 03-02-2012 at 08:21.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post: