+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Study + sh!t sleeper = ???

I'm only planning on going back to uni next year but I'm already scared that DS (10 months nearly) is still going to be waking at night and I won't be able to focus on study. Not to mention he will have to have some sleepovers with grandparents due to possible night classes and prac - don't want to leave them with that burden!

Has anyone else studied successfully whilst attending to a night waker?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD was a horrible sleeper, and I found the only way we were able to get through was by co-sleeping- I physically didn't have to get out of bed, it was easy enough to feed/ pat back to sleep and know I was going to get some sleep.

I used the time between classes on campus to do the bulk of my work, so I wouldn't have to worry too much about it once I got home.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I'm planning on using my uni days as "homework" days too and forgetting about study for the other 5 days of the week. Still not sure if I'll have enough determination to run on so little sleep....he's usually in bed with me at about 4am - once he starts waking every hour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DH did his masters, it is possible

and what are grandparents for make use of them if you have them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i have done my degrees with all 3 of my kids (they were born while i was still at uni) so it can be done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It can be done. I went back to full time work (inc evening meetings/etc) when my ds was 12 months old. He was a dreadful sleeper at that stage but dh was able to help out overnight as our ds was no longer BF at that time (and we were trying to cut out the night feed anyway). He didn't start sleeping through the night til 15 months, but after that wow, things got a lot better. From about 15 months he was in a good routine and it made looking after him a lot easier task and life for all of us a lot better.

But what are your plans for study & looking after him during the day? If it's in a years time I would expect your ds will be down to 1 daytime sleep and 1.5 hours would be pretty good for that sleep (although some children may sleep up to 3 hours in the afternoon ... but probably not predictably). Some children have stopped their daytime sleep by the age of 2 (my ds stopped at 3.5). My point is that Uni often has a lot of work outside of class time that needs to be done and finding that time can be a little tricky. That's my SIL's biggest challenge with her Uni despite the fact that her children are 3 & 5. She put them in childcare (1 day a week) and they also spent 1 day a week with my Mum. But she still finds it pretty tricky.

My point is that you will need help to make study work, with dedicated time to work on projects, study, etc. But yes, you can definitely do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep! I was completing my teaching prac with a 6month old who I was still breastfeeding! I had to express at school, was awful. Also had a job (as unlike most apprenticeships, teaching full time for 5 weeks is unpaid). And on top of that I had uni assignments. DS didn't sleep through til about 20 months... It was a long hard road, but well worth it in the end! Keep persisting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yay, I had no idea so many of you juggled so much...hopefully I can too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to admit that I am not very successful at the juggle of working, studying my masters and looking after DS (2) who is a shocking sleeper. I was managing but TBH was constantly tired but when I got pregnant with this bub in August the wheels fell off and last semester was a disaster and I ended up withdrawing. I plan to go back next semester when bubs will be about 3 months old and am going to keep DS in daycare two days a week.

Best advise, before you start line up family or friend support for the days when assignment work is due. We don't have family help here and DH works full-time so getting the space to study is hard but can be done.

Before getting pregnant, coffee was my best friend. BTW DS still doesn't sleep through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Unfortunately i sucked at studying with 2 kids (one who was an awful sleeper) - i passed but only just and the stress was huge. I couldn't focus properly and i had trouble grasping things/getting my assignments done. In the end i quit after one subject becasue although i passed i was so close to failing and knew i would struggle with any further subjects and didn't want to risk it - i just am not someone who could juggle it all
    I will note that my DH is away A LOT and i have almost no support - if i had someone who could watch my kids while i study once a week (or whatever) then i would have done so much better and may have been able to continue. Not having any help with the kids and trying to fit the study the in was what made it too hard for me...