+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Council sleep 'school'

Just thought I'd share my experiences at my local council's sleep school today. I was told by one person that 'no-one does controlled crying still', by another 'to expect some crying' and by local ABA group, 'you know what they do there.'

So was not really looking forward to it. And for good reason.

When trying to get DD down for morning sleep, she started crying 'good, that'll wear her out more.' (!)

It took 1.5 hours to get her to sleep. A lot if tears on my part and hers. In hindsight I should have just walked out but knowing that DD needs sleep during the day I persisted.

I was also advised not to feed any closer than 2-2.5 hours since last feed. When I mentioned that that advice contradicted the principle of demand feeding they dismissed it with 'just take what you need from today.'

Apparently DD sleeps 11-12 hours at night with one feed because she is exhausted from having little sleep during the day. That may contribute to her night sleeps, who knows? But she feeds well and is generally a happy baby.

I know she needs sleep during the day and will continue to work towards a solution for that, but there are kinder ways than a method which results in you wiping away the salt stains from your child's tears.

The only positive thing I took from today was a possible diagnosis of silent reflux which does explain a few things.

So people, please investigate the methods used at sleep school before going. It'll save a lot of heartache.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Aw I'm sorry to hear that . If she does have silent reflux it would explain the lack of day sleep. My ds had it but slept ok at night till around 3/4 months. Sounds like you could use a few hugs.

I saw a new MCHN today who suggested I pat ds' mattress while he screams for hours and do this for every sleep and it would take 2 months to work. I was like "why the h3ll would I do that?". He's not that bad!

ETA: sounds like you are doing great feeding her on demand and I hope she starts sleeping for you soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. DD has not had more than 2 hours of sleep in a row since we got home. I think the lack of feeding during the day got to her.

Another of their gems was that increased feeding due to growth spurts would only be a day in duration. My reply: well, her 6 week one lasted 3 days!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience. DS also had reflux and slept well at night but not well during the day for the first few months. The best thing I ever did was go with the flow. I drove myself insane trying to get him onto a routine of what he "should" be doing.
    You're doing a great job following your baby's lead. I hope things improve for you soon.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow - I am so glad I read this! Our DS is ten weeks old today and has always fallen asleep peacefully in our arms. He is our first though and naturally with everyone telling me to try Tizzie Hall's SOS and CC and CIO techniques I started to feel bad that we were building bad habits (which I know is unlikely given how young he is) that were going to cause heartache down the track.

I tried CC and CIO for 4 days. He'd scream and choke and go red and it would take hours to settle him. Now his nights have suffered. He went from either sleeping through or waking up once for a feed to waking two maybe three times and being really hard to settle back to sleep in the middle of the night.

I called my MCHN yesterday who suggested a gentler CIO method which I'm still not too keen on but will try - need to be open to new things right? She was going to organise a referral to a council sleep school which I'll pick up later this week but I was nervous about it because I don't like leaving him to scream and I get upset when others push that on me.

He's not sleeping as well as he was before we started this whole 'self settling' journey but I think I'd rather find what works for us and go with that.

Thanks for the info and the opinions!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EmN20 View Post
    I think I'd rather find what works for us and go with that.
    Tend to cover everything parent related take advice but keep what works for you

We have also been to sleep school and they are not all about screaming they do actually work but it does take time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Probably not all sleep schools use the method that we went through so check before you dismiss it out of hand.

I've been wavering between going to a week long one in Melb and just going with the flow. At the moment that is walking around tiwn in the morning to get DD asleep. And she doesn't get much sleep in the afternoons.

I spent all of yesterday responding to her tired signs and we managed some sleep in arvo. But we also didn't do much else; little playing and tummy time etc and it wore me out and made me frustrated. That can't continue.

So while our experiences at council sleep school may not been great there might be a time and place for them. But not at 3mo, IMO.

I would love to hear some detailed positive experiences!! TIA. :$

Thanks
    Reviews
    My MCHN called again yesterday to check on us (which I thought was lovely!) and we had a good chat about it. I think I'm going give their day course a go because it's all about understanding your baby. It can't hurt anyway.
    As for the week long sleep school in Melb, I know someone who had a baby that wouldn't sleep, not in the pram, the car, in their arms, in her bed, no where. They suffered horribly and eventually attended a sleep school where they went and stayed for four days (I think it was?). They had a really positive experience and said it was definitely worth while! Hopefully others can give you some detailed info on it.
    Good luck with it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What state are you ladies from if you don't mind saying? I'm from SA and EVERY single MCHN I have seen in regards to my daughter does not condone CIO or CC in any form. In SA the Elizabeth Pantley method is encouraged for mums. It's so funny how it changes from state to state.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Victoria. My experience was termed 'controlled comforting'. Yet I fail to see how someone patting a crying child for 1.5 hours, comforting.
    The council one I went to rang me when I was at a week long sleep school in Melb (great success!) and I told them exactly what I thought of their process. They closed my file.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MunchkinsMum1 For This Useful Post:

MyLittleLilacTree  (04-04-2012)