+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Vent so upset and frustrated with rentals

I am so unbelievably down at the moment, it's so upsetting I just can't get a rental. Me and DF finally decided to get a rental right beside the uni as we figure the will be easier..

So we've spent the last week looking at houses, I mean I am fussy I don't want mold etc and something decent but I'm not thhaaat fussy. I spend hours each day looking at houses and ringing them for inspections..

Half the time no one answers and I ring and ring. And then when I do get through to them they tell me that they don't do private inspections that we have to wait for then to set up an inspection.. So i either have to keep ringing back for times as they tell me they'll ring back with a time but they never do.. Or they tell me to keep checking the website for inspection times So that's what we do.. but it's awfully confusing

I have been looking at the "new" houses so at least I know they haven't been online long. So anyway I organised 5 houses to view this weekend and two for tomorrow and all but one have cancelled on me saying they have been letted out already!!

How did these people manage to sneak in before me when I've been told you have to inspect the property before putting in an application and I rung the day the house was listed..

I don't know what to do, is there something I'm missing?

We get kicked out of where we are on the 17th and we literally have no where to go.. We have no family or friends here and I spend most days in tears and worrying we are going to end up homeless with all our furniture out on the street

Freaking out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh no, that's awful!

I was freaked out about finding one when we moved last year. We were in a private rental for nearly 14yrs.

Inspections were only at set times and seemed to have heaps of people at them. Some places were just plain yuck. None were let out before inspection dates but there was a few that didn't have dates and I had to keep checking as they couldn't tell me when the inpections would be. Very annoying. We applied for one and didn't get it but then this place was listed as a new listing and its much better than the first place we applied for. I wanted a couple of days to go back and clean etc when I moved but ended up sending DH back to clean for me the afternoon of our move as they needed the keys first thing the next morning.

I hope you find something soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think there must be incredible demand around the time of the start of uni.

I think people end up doing things like offering more rent than advertised to get an advantage (awful, I know, but that's what I've read).

Hopefully you find something. Sounds very frustrating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I'd imagine there is.. So if people are doing that (offering more) they must be doing it before the first inspection

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would imagine they might say to the agent to let them know if anything comes up as they'll pay a bit more? not sure, but it's a bad situation with rentals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wonder if they are applying without seeing it?

Although I didn't think they like to do that. We had a really hard time convincing our real estate that we trusted my mum's judgement when we applied for here. The first open for inspection clashed with something I couldn't change and DH was at work so we sent my mum to look for us with the applications to hand over if she thought it was ok. They tried to convince us to try to go to the next inpection and wait to apply but we didn't want to chance it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I honestly have no idea, we are trying to manage to see them but with me at uni at DF at work (he's only just started) its pretty hard to view then all, so a few we've had to miss..

I honestly have no idea

Shortiii is offline Baby H v2.0 - Anticipating April release
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have 2 houses we rent out. We were still living in one when our ex-real estate agent advertised it with an address and a photo. We had people coming to our house, knocking on the door, going into the garden to find us.. and try and play nice and tell us about their finances and sob stories so we would pick them as tenants! We were horrified. The real estate agent got a serve from us.

But yes. People will do anything. Although legally, our real estate agent had to advertise one of our properties when we already had tenants picked out to move in So... I guess that could be happening too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That could be true, maybe I should start telling people my sob story haha

I defiantly don't go onto the property if I'm not there for an inspection! That would freak me out if someone did it too mee..

I'm more stressed about were we are going to go when we have to be out of here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I so feel for you. I have just rented a room for dd with just a bed and desk for $215 a week. To get that we had to apply site unseen and start paying rent for 2 weeks before we could move her in, plus bond and a deposit (same amount as a bond). It is crazy.