+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I doubt pregnancy by itself is an exception. There would need to be a reason you think your pregnancy would detract from being able to listen to and consider evidence, eg unable to sit without breaks for a long time, pain when sitting in particular chairs or high blood pressure.

Having said that, I and a number of colleagues are pregnant lawyers, in court a lot of the time and we're fine. I have a 5 day trial starting next week. It entirely depends on the individual and the individual pregnancy though

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have jury duty on Monday! I told them I have a 1.5 year old and would prefer she didn't go into childcare cos she never has been under anyone else's care except me and they said at best I could defer and pick another date! So I thought I'll just do it this time. My daughter will be in child care for the days that I have to go and they pay for that which is good I suppose. I asked how much you get paid and she said $10 a day, and you have to pay for your own lunch!

Whose done it recently? What were your experiences? I am so sad about being away from dd!

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztik View Post
    In WA pregnancy is listed as a reason to be excused. So is having young children.

I was called in the early stages of pregnancy with DS3 and had no issues being excused.
    It's not anymore . Neither is breastfeeding - in WA at least. You have the option to defer for 6 months, but that's it. A sad state of affairs where common sense isn't really being used...

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you can't get out of it, I know a way. When they call all the jurors into the room to do the ballot, they read out the list of charges and all people charged and those who will be called as witnesses, then they ask the jurors if there is any reason they believe they cannot hear this case. You then say that you went to school with someone who was in the list of witnesses. (Don't get the name wrong!) You will be excused immediately. The other thing you can say is in relation to the case itself. I was called for a rape case where the list of charges alone sounded horrific, one of the other jurors stood up and said that due to circumstances in her past, she didn't believe she could be impartial. She was excused immediately.

None of that gets you out if actually showing up in court on your appointed day, but you should be home later the same day.

Hth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been called 4 times, I always write a letter saying I'm an avid police supporter and I think the police would have done their jobs so if they are in court they are, of course, obviously guilty.

They can't have you on a jury if you say that because you wouldn't give whoever a fair trial (I guess)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleven Eleven For This Useful Post:

MoonMoon  (14-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive been called up 3 times now
    1 late pregnacy got defered
    2 Breastfeeding got defered
    3 young children no one to care for them
    If I get called again I have a SN child so will probably get let off again

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got off when pregnant with DD, not because of the pregnancy, but because of the case. It was a child molestation case and I said I couldn't be impartial because I think all child molesters are monsters and that they wouldn't be accused and charged without good evidence. I was let off immediately!