+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Spinal headache

I had my beautiful baby girl delivered by c section on Saturday morning, after 30 hours of labor!!!. I had an epidural which unfortunately for me wasn't successful and the anesthetist wanted to re do it but his boss wouldn't let him, went in for the csearer and it was removed and I had a spinal block.

I now have excruciating headaches and I came home on Tuesday evening, which was perhaps a bad move on my part , but I wasn't sleeping well.

I have had mentioned to me a blood patch, but I really truly don't want this done, I feel so traumatized as it is.

Has anyone else had this? does it get better? I'm scared and I feel so helpless. I can get up and move around but today seems worse than yesterday. Midwives have been visiting me at home and they recommend me seeing my gp. Please any advice would be appreciated. I really don't want to go back to hospital and be away from my baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey, it's awful. I had one and I also had two failed blood patches.
    Have they told you to lay flat? I know it's hard with a baby but it really is the only way to ease the pain.
    I already read that caffeine helps and I was so reluctant to do this with bf but I had coke and coffee and found that it helped. There are a few threads on here about them.

95% of people have successful blood patches and there's no need to be in hospital fr it. I had mine then went home after an hour.
    Mine lasted close to two weeks and I cried the whole time from the pain.
    I wouldn't do the blood patch again as it didn't work for me and the headaches do pass.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Etienne For This Useful Post:

Sara87  (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh and you shouldn't have to be away from bub if you choose one. I had my dp hold bub next to me in day surgery.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Etienne For This Useful Post:

Sara87  (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had this too. I really feel for you the pain is excruciating!!!!! I wasn't able to sit or stand without vomiting from the pain. For me is was far worse than the 60 hrs of labour!!!
    I did have a blood patch but it lasted less than 24 hrs. The procedure itself wasn't bad but lying still for 6 hrs after with a baby to b/f was tricky AND the stupid hospital wouldn't let my partner stay.
    I tried the caffeine but probably didn't have enough as I was b/f and didn't want it effecting my baby.

If you don't want a blood patch the only thing to do is to lay flat. Get others to bring bubba to you for feeds and cuddles. Hopefully it should go in 5-10 days.

I am so sorry you are going through this.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Loulabelle For This Useful Post:

Sara87  (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the replies....I hope it passes soon Going to to go see my gp next week... unless I get worse... then I'll be calling the hospital.