+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What do you love about the rockingham area?

So we're moving to Perth at the end of the month. I kind of had my heart set on going to a suburb NOR but we have found a gorgeous house in The Rockingham area, 100m to the beach, huge backyard for the kids, and the house itself has tons of room. There's no way we could find something even close to it in the same price range NOR. So what do you love about the area? What is the shopping like? Schools? Are there plenty of things for the kids to do? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I lived there a few years ago now im in kwinana. I loved rockingham for the beaches. There was also lots of nice places to walk the dogs. I miss that where I live now. nearly went back a few months ago but DP works NOR a lot so its just that bit further for him to travel. Also further from my work Don't know much about schools in area but with the revamped shopping centre its pretty good.
    The only bad things about Rockingham is peoples negative attitudes to the place. It drives me crazy. The 'Bogan' name it has. You see no more around than anywhere else. And really who cares? Seems dumb to spend a small fortune on a worse house in another area IMO.

Ky is offline <--- Ruby, the most precious little red gem ever!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm in Port Kennedy and the thing that first impacted me on entering the Rockingham area was that the council takes pride in it's gardens etc and the whole area has an almost "lazy seaside town" feel. It has what feels like wide, open, fresh and clean spaces ...

The whole "bogan" reputation I think is overblown. Sure, there may be a few people who go to the shops on a thursday night in their pyjamas and there is definitely a bogan element to the area but I really don't think it is any more bogan than anywhere else.

It's really not too far from the CBD and the public transport is fantastic - clean, safe and timely. My kids are 8yo and 10yo and I happily allow them to walk to the local shops and to and from school on their own. They are enjoying some of the freedoms I had as a kid (yes, you may play at the park - just stick together and be home by 5pm etc) and I don't know many places these days that are a safe enough environment to do this in.

We've had the chance to live somewhere else, but in the 2 years we have lived in the area, we have all grown to love it and will probably not move away any time soon ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies. The house is in Waikiki? DP is FIFO so we don't have the issue of commuting everyday and I'm not worried about driving an hour or so if I need to get to somewhere in the city. My main thing I guess is making sure there's a play centre around and some good parks and stuff for the kids. And like I said the house ticks all of our needs and wants.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and what is the hospital like? This bub is due in June.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend lives in Waikiki, she has a beautiful house and is really happy there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachside Mumma View Post
    Oh and what is the hospital like? This bub is due in June.
    Rockingham Hospital is fairly recently refurbished, and I think it's pretty nice there. I've been in emergency a couple of times & it's clean & open, and had my DS admitted over new year's and the paed ward was lovely. Haven't seen the maternity ward for many years, but a few close friends have had their kids there and say it's good.

I grew up in Warnbro & now live in Port Kennedy. It's a fantastic place for kids - plenty of playgroups, libraries, a toy library, about 3 indoor play centres, lots of parks.... and of course amazing beaches! I don't think you'd regret moving your family to Waikiki.

Ky is offline <--- Ruby, the most precious little red gem ever!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had recent experience of the maternity ward at Rockingham Hospital and it is fantastic! Every midwife I dealt with was lovely, the facilites are really nice and surprisingly for a hospital, parking is free!

I was only going there for CTG monitoring and a couple of post birth appointments. I also had the local visiting midwifery service after being discharged from KEMH and I can't speak more highly of them. The local MCHN in Port Kennedy that I am currently having visit is lovely, practical and no nonsense.

Port Kennedy has a new indoor play centre of the Chipmunks variety and there are various play centres and activities in the area for children. Waikiki is a lovely area and as 4fullstop said, I also don't think you would regret moving your family there.

The run through to the airport from here is quite easy - freeways/highways all the way. My DH is about to start FIFO and we haven't even considered moving closer to the airport as the commute, although it may take a while, isn't a hard one at all ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all your replies