+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jenrose View Post
    What on earth is natural consequences?!?
    Basically don't 'punish' per se,,,you're allowing for the natural consequence of things because that's how the real world works....

So...if you spill a drink = cleaning it up, You fight with your friend = sit on your own for a while. Steal from a shop = marching straight back up there and giving it back and apologising. Not doing homework = failing the grade (ETA - ok I don't let them fail the grade, although I feel like it LOL but things like playstation and tv are off the table until they do...when you don't do what you should be doing then you don't get priviledges).

It's how I generally discipline - apart from a few things here and there.
    Last edited by Deserama; 01-02-2012 at 13:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A recent example for us is that the littlies have been drawing on walls....so the natural consequence is for them to clean it. Obviously they don't do a good job but I get them to try their best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh gosh thats so simple! I like it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Baby was a bit of both. If she wanted food, she got food. The "routine" we had was loose, and was just there for me to roughly know what was going on each day. I didn't force toileting or anything... it was mostly all about "in her own time."

Now she's 6, and if I let her lead me anywhere, we'd be eating ice-cream for dinner most nights, and she'd never go to bed... she'd spend all her time on her DS or watching movies, or something. So there is no "child led," anything... it's all, "I'm the Mum - I make the rules, you follow them."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

jenrose  (02-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both. The first year I followed her cues. Through toddlerhood I followed her cues, but slowly guided her in certain directions. As she got older, it became more parent-led, but we are very in touch with each other. I'm the boss, but take her into account with any decision making.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    bit of both.
    Always child led, but I will attempt naps after x amount of time, make sure she eats at least 6 times a day, and I only boob when I want now (oh and we are nightweaned)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Both. The first year I followed her cues. Through toddlerhood I followed her cues, but slowly guided her in certain directions. As she got older, it became more parent-led, but we are very in touch with each other. I'm the boss, but take her into account with any decision making.
    This ^

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Slack-@ss parenting here!

Whatever gets us through the day with the least amount of angst. I pick my battles (they're 2 & 6 though so its not me forcing a baby to conform).

:P the children rule the roost and I'm too exhausted to argue (j/king- we work together for the most part...)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (02-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jenrose View Post
    Oh gosh thats so simple! I like it.
    It is hey! When I was first introduced to it....it was like...wow what an awesome idea! And then I felt really stupid for not thinking of it on my own - cos it just makes perfect sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Slack-@ss parenting here!

Whatever gets us through the day with the least amount of angst. I pick my battles (they're 2 & 6 though so its not me forcing a baby to conform).

:P the children rule the roost and I'm too exhausted to argue (j/king- we work together for the most part...)
    baaahaaahaaa ah yes - choosing your battles! That's the key to serenity I reckon

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (02-02-2012)