+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Getting 11 month old twins to sleep through the night

I posted a couple of weeks ago about my twin boys not settling through the night, they would wake up screaming and wouldn't stop, we have now passed that stage with a little bit of controlled crying, but now they have stopped waking up screaming but continue to wake up 5-6 times a night whinging until we go in and give them their dummies. Maybe once or twice a night they will settle themselves back to sleep but most of the time we have to get up and give them their dummies. They go to sleep perfectly fine without a peep 95% of nights but won't go to sleep without the dummy, so I am thinking maybe its the dummies that are the problems, they go to sleep with them, lost them through the night, and wake up looking for them. They started sleeping through the night at about 8 weeks old and always went to bed without the dummy then from about 6 months old wouldn't go to sleep without the dummy and since then most nights we have been up and down to them all night. We never have to get them up to feed them through the night, only to give them their dummies...

So I'm just wondering if anyone else has/had this problem and what did you do to get your baby/babies to sleep through the night without having to get up to them. I have just returned back to work and I am feeling so exhausted having to get up so much through the night. My partner has to be up at 3-4 am to go to work and its also hard on him too because he does help out by getting up to them. They never wake at the sametime, its always one then the other, which makes it harder cause we are probably getting up double the amount of times!!

Should I try putting them to bed without dummies and let them cry for the first couple of nights til they get used to going to sleep without them?? Any advice and information is very much appreciated, I really need to get a full nights sleep!!

Nothing in our routine has changed, its always been the same since they started waking. Tea at 5.00pm, play, 6.00pm bath, play til 6.30pm, Cuddles & book til 6.45pm bottle then bed at 7.00. Sometimes if they are tired they will be in bed at 6.30pm that just means everything else is done half and hour earlier.
    Is there something I should change in our routine?
    They have cut 8 teeth since they were 4 months old, none in the last 2 months though, but I am pretty sure they are cutting their molars now and have been for awhile (I can see lumps under the gums, but none have come through yet) seems like a very long time!! So it could also be something to do with that too.
    They have two sleeps through the day usually 1 hour to 1 and a half hours long.

I miss my sleeping all night babies!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Unfortunately yes, I think its the dummies that are the cause of the night waking in your case and yes, I think the only way to stop it is to get rid of the dummies. I would suggest going cold turkey, get them to put the dummies into a bag so they see what is happening and then throw them out. It will be a hard first few days and they might need a cuddle (but JUST a cuddle, don't replace the dummy issue with a needing mum-or-dad-in-bed-with-them-all-night-for-comfort issue).

Sorry to the bearer of bad news! Good luck and hopefully someone else has a easier fix for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you for your quick reply!

I will get rid of the dummies tonight and let them go to sleep on their own. Hopefully after a few nights it will all settle down again and we might have sleeping babies again!!

When they were younger and would go to bed without a dummy, they would hardly ever wake up, maybe on the odd occassion but would usually put themselves back to sleep. And the whole dummy issue started when my mother inlaw come to our house to look after them for the night one night, I guess she found it easier to just give them their dummies to get them to sleep because being someone different putting them to bed they might not of went straight off to sleep. She said at the time she didn't give them their dummy but a few days later I caught her out, just in conversation she mentioned something about giving them their dummy. I never bothered to say anything though and I really should of just nipped it in the bud back then instead of putting up with it for this long!!