+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MothersMilk View Post
    I don't think it's that uncommon - it's just more people who had babies fit into their lives answered (a bubhub thread is hardly reflective of the public at huge).
    Now that i have two toddlers i'd had to stop doing things as both of them don't want to be still and it can be an absolute nightmare.
    I have friends who won't go out at certain times of the day because it disrupts nap time etc
    I guess I'm also seeing it at parents groups etc, where lots of bubbas will sit in the highchair for an hour or more while mum has a coffee and a chat, whereas DS is trying to explore/ pull glasses off the table/ climb up peoples legs!

I've never been too fussed about not going out around nap times etc as DS has never had a strict routine or anything, I'm just finding as he gets older it is getting much harder to do stuff that isn't 'baby focused'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hahahahahaha....DS has totally changed our lives. We do still go out for dinner, but to the local pub and eat at 6pm so we're home by 7.30 to put him to bed. We go out at night one person at a time so someone is home to look after him, before he came along we used to go out together just about every weekend. Our life revolves around his routine, but that's the way I like it. It will get easier as he (and his future brothers and sisters) get older

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Things changed for us big time.

We didn't start taking the kids out for lunch or dinner till they were 18 months & we'd time it so we finished when they were due to go to bed.

1 baby is portable, 3 not so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We changed our lifestyle as DD won't sleep anywhere else but her own bed but I like our new lifestyle better anyway. We have friends over for dinner or DH and I spend nights on the wkend cooking meals for each other.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by decemberbubba View Post
    I guess I'm also seeing it at parents groups etc, where lots of bubbas will sit in the highchair for an hour or more while mum has a coffee and a chat, whereas DS is trying to explore/ pull glasses off the table/ climb up peoples legs!

I've never been too fussed about not going out around nap times etc as DS has never had a strict routine or anything, I'm just finding as he gets older it is getting much harder to do stuff that isn't 'baby focused'.
    Trust me there are sooo many bubs who wouldn't stay in a highchair that long and be happy - DD2 wouldn't even last 5 mins before she is climbing out and running off. It's probably more a case of the parents of kids who are more active are less likely to go somewhere where their bub is expected to sit still. I see babies/toddlers who are squirming around, crying, causing mischief and trying to run off when i'm out and about all the time. Children are curious creatures and i think most would be more likely to want to be exploring vs sitting in a highchair.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    DD is 6 and has mostly fit into my life.

Some things have changed, sure. I mean, I don't go out clubbing or anything like that often... and I don't go out to dinner too often anymore, but that's more not having anyone to go with and no money (and no room in tummy... lol).

When she was a baby, I took her everywhere. I saw my friends all the time, went to dinner and lunch regularly. I just dragged her and a pram along. It wasn't hard for us - she was an easy baby, so it was easy. I've also never been one to fuss about schedules or anything, so I never thought I had to be home at 7pm cos that was her bedtime or whatever... if we were out, and she was tired, she could fall asleep in her pram/the carrier/on someone or something.

It's pretty much like that now, though I do try to be home at reasonable hours on school nights, because it'd be unfair to keep up until midnight then expect her to get up and get ready for school the next day... but before being school-aged, it was quite easy because it just meant she'd sleep in longer the next day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    our lives changed a lot IMO.....we had a very social / lots of dinners/ lots of weekends away / vineyards etc lifestyle....we do not like to take him to dinner cos me and DH cannot relax and enjoy ourselves like we want to ie for talks and 2 hours enjoying each others company etc rather than trying to keep DS entertained etc....sure if we want to scoff down a meal in like 10 minutes like OP said we can but he gets restless quickly....we now get relo's etc to mind him if we want to go out to restaurant. DS have never been good in a pram has hardly slept in a pram and isnt a "good shopper"....so i agree with OP i kinda laugh quietly when ppl announce baby will fit into thier lifestyle...suppose it depends on what your lifestyle was and what your child is like...taking a baby to vineyards etc is also boring for the kid too altho we did manage that once and it wasnt too bad. me and DH booked a 3 bedroom apartment to spend a few days away..for the primary purpose of bringing his parents so me and DH can actually go out to dinner for our wedding anniversary..so we do still have our "lifestyle" in that sense...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mine fit into my lifestyle well, but through nothing more than sheer luck. I like to travel by car so expected to not be able to with a baby/toddler, even up to lower primary school. But she loved the car, so travelled well. I love live music, thought it would upset a baby, but nope! She loves it too! We seem to just fit together, which I guess is the benefit of being a single parent with an only child.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    It sooooo depends on the baby. My life changed completely (but was expecting it to) DD was quite a fussy baby so she was less portable than other babies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think when people say a baby is going to fit into their life, they don't usually mean they intend to keep clubbing and sleeping until midday (I think? I guess some people do?). They just mean they don't intend to hide at home for the next year/however long. At least, that's what I mean when I say it. I've had friends completely drop off the face of the planet when they have their baby - that's what I'm hoping not to do, but like others have said it will depend on what kind of baby we have, and how we're going. I fully expect our life to change - I just hope it doesn't end

We were given tickets to a show by my MIL the other day. Four weeks after our due date. DH said "Mum I don't think we'll be able to go, we're going to have a newborn" and she gave us a lecture about how a baby needs to fit into your life, not the other way around, and a 4 week old was plenty old to be babysat. Well I don't know much about babies or what is going to happen to our lives, but I'm pretty sure a night at the theatre with a 4 week old is highly unlikely! We didn't bother arguing, just took the tickets - I'm sure my mum will enjoy the show