+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default "Baby will fit into our lifestyle"

I was at a parents group the other day and I can't remember how the conversation started, but a dad with a 2 month old bub stated that their baby would be fitting into their lifestyle/ schedule, not the other way round.

What I said was: 'really? that's nice'

What I thought was: 'you poor unsuspecting fool, wait until you try to go and have a meal at your local pub and you have to scoff down your dinner while your partner walks your 12 month old around outside because he refuses to sit in a highchair for more than five minutes, then you hightail it out of there before the baby has a complete meltdown'

And yes, my thoughts were based directly on personal experience!

So I'm curious, what were your expectations of how life would be when your first bub arrived? Were you able to carry on life relatively unchanged or did they turn you life upside down?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

1+1=5  (01-02-2012),MrsBeee  (01-02-2012),zombiekitty  (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I thought things would change heaps, but they really have just fit into our life.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Falkor  (03-02-2012),Littlemissmetal  (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I knew life was going to change, but I didn't know how. I had no friends with babies and wasn't on any parenting websites at the time so I just went with it. For the first few months she fit in with our lifestyle but then again little babies are very portable. Once she got a little older we did start making plans that were suitable for the whole family, not just the adults.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My two older kids were dream babies/toddlers and wouldn't often have melt downs while our in public. So everything we normally did before, we still did after (movies ect). Third babe is here and she's a little different- though still early days. We're yet to see

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with blissed out. I was expecting to be flipped upside down, right side up and than set out to dry on the washing line, but DS kinda just slotted in. Things changed- but not as much as I was expecting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lucky ladies! I fully expected life would be very different, but didn't know in what ways. In the early days DS was pretty good, but as elleandsam said, small bubs are very portable. I've found lately (DS is nearly 13 months) that anything that requires him to sit still (in pram/ highchair etc) is not going to happen.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

bressar  (02-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We were people who said that DD would fit into our lifestyles, and not us into hers (to a point, anyway). And I think that has happened. We didn't enforce a routine on her, or stress if she didn't sleep at a particular time of day, but she set her own routine. We never avoided doing something/ going out at any time because it was nap time, or other reasons to do with her.

We took her to restaurants, and we took her on several overseas trips before she turned 1 (now 18mths and 3 overseas trips planned for this year).

Of course things change, and of course there are times when meals got rushed, etc., but for the most part everything went very smoothly. We were lucky in that she has always been an 'easy' baby (whatever that is), and slept through the night from very early on.She wasn't a puker, or a big crier, and her temperament has been pretty easygoing/ happy go lucky.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When i only had one baby she did kind of just fit into our lifestyle. I didn't 'expect it' but she did. She was happy to sleep in her pram and didn't have a strict routine so we could just take her anywhere with out much fuss.
    That's not to say it was all easy - some times she would be a bit of a nightmare and we'd have to leave early or meals would be interrupted becasue bub was crying or did a poo explosion etc but mostly it was fine.
    Of course having a baby was definitely an adjustment - she didn't sleep well at night and i was exhausted but my day to day life wasn't really interrupted that much. I did the same things just with a bub
    Things changed when i had a second baby and DD1 grew older - now we can't do the things we were able to with no kids or only one. I realise now how easy 1 child really was (not that i would change a thing).
    Last edited by MothersMilk; 01-02-2012 at 07:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mostly DS (almost 16 months) has fit into our lives. He is a pretty easy baby so we havent had to change much. We still go out for dinner and weekend brunch. He loves coming and sitting up at the table.
    Of course sometimes plans need to change because of him but mostly he just comes along with us, i guess thats the ease of only having one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS fit in to our lifestyle for the first 12 months. Now he is in active toddler, our eating out experiences are very similar to yours, OP!