+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone else out there with a super clingy child !!

Hi i have an 18month old son and his super clingy with me we cant go anywhere new cause he just starts crying at the sight of alot of people even family members and when we do go to a friends house or family he will just start crying and screaming and will not let go off me and i can t put him down. I can't even leave him with anyone cause they dont know how to settle him cause he gets so upset if i leave him It has come to a point where i hate going to friends houses or family things with him as horriable as that sound cause i know how he will be and i get really frustred i have put him in child care once a week to see if being away from me will help a little. I just want to know if anyone out there has been threw something like this or is experiencing the same type of thing now and any advice thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS2 was exactly the same (well sorta still is, though not as bad). Going to friends places, he would attach himself to me and literally scream if anyone looked at him the wrong way. Very frustrating! I wanted to offer some hope that it gets better-he is a fortnight off 2 and has improved so much, still attached but it has eased and isnt as constant. I did nothing to improve his behavior, it's just a phase he has grown out of ( i hope!!) He is more interested now in what others are doing and once over his initial clingyness, he will happily play/interact with others. Also, when I leave him, he constantly calls for me, but apparently isn't the screaming mess he used to be. I'm not sure if this post is of any real help, but I wanted to say that I very much understand and it does get better! I think the childcare will help your situation and hopefully it works to ease his anxiety and give you a well needed break!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to spunkles For This Useful Post:

vv27  (02-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My almost-18mo son is pretty clingy too. His older brother is a total extrovert and will go to most-anyone but this little guy just wants to hold my legs or be picked up. I'm afraid I don't have much advice. I'm just curious: how long has he been in daycare and is it helping or making it worse?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lulululu For This Useful Post:

vv27  (02-02-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, my first son was like this, he is now 7 and still wants to hang off me, sit on me, be cuddling me all the time etc.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

vv27  (02-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Aww it feels so nice to hear that other people have gone threw this, cause people seem to always think that there is something wrong with him or that its my fault, i even took him to the doctors because i got tired of people saying something is wrong with him but as it happened he told me that he was fine and that he would grow out of it and that i needed to put him in child care or take him to playgroup or something like that, to give me a break also as it gets quite stress full at times. He has only just started going and he has gone a number or 4 times so far as he only goes once a week cause thats all i can afford to send him right now, i find he still cries when i leave him and gets quiet upset and its soooo hard to leave him and when i pick him up they just tell me that he was very unsettled for most of his time there so far it doesnt seem to have helped that much as he seems to always be more afraid of me leaving him but i guess its only early days yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep my nearly 2yr old has always been extremely clingy for me from pretty much day 1. He is extra shy with most people too. I still dont get to shower or go to the toilet without him... His dad cannot even put him to sleep, feed him change his bum, bath him, pretty much everything he tries to do DS screams and cries.
    I use to just say dont worry I will do it, but lately I have been making DP do all of the above except putting him to sleep. He still cries when he baths him but I just keep busy and dont go anywhere near them. He normally only cries for a min or 2 then he forgets about me and concentrates on DP. We have tried DP putting him to sleep and that is just too hard an stressfull, much easier me cuddling him on lounge and he is asleep within a couple of mins.
    He still wakes heaps of times throughout the night, and all he wants is to be able to touch or cuddle up to me, if DP tries to touch him he gets histerical.

I have gone back to work 3 days a week DS is in daycare, he has cried every morning ( and even some afternoons) when I drop him off, it has only been the last 2 weeks and he has stopped crying, but stills has very sad look on face. I been back at work for 12months now. He is fine at daycare only cries for a tiny bit. My daycare is fantastic, the ladies know what he is like and they do everything to make it easier for both of us. I think daycare is brilliant, for extra clingy kiddies, as they have to let other people do things for them. DS is slowly getting better, and I know he will one day he will grow out of it.
    It is very frustrating but,

I think you just have to keep taking him places that take him out if his comfort zone and eventually he will get better.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to leannemc For This Useful Post:

vv27  (02-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah he wakes up alot threw the night aswell which i didnt know why that would be happening. Thanks eveyone for all your stories and advice it gives me some hope that he can get better and improve lets hope