+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicket View Post
    i didnt think you could over feed a baby? Some babies actually do want to feed every 2 hours. My son fed very regularly but he had reflux & often comfort fed - this can make the problem worse - but unless the feeding is causing an problems then i would just continue to demand feed.

Unless the feeding is becoming a problem for you I would not hold out on the feeds. Your baby just might need to feed that regularly.

Good luck.
    The saying is 'you can't overfeed a breastfeed baby'....apparently you definitely can with FF bubs.

Having said that, I agree with other PP and IMO a 6wk bub should be demand fed, regardless of how you feed your baby. Just like adults, all babies have different appetites & they go through a growth spurt at about this age too anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You can't over feed any baby, they simply wont take any more than they need. If their tummies do happen to over full they will bring back up what they don't need.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TripleTime For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys that makes me feel better. The nurse just made me feel like that she was feeding to much and I also asked about daytime sleeps as we are having som issues with that aswell. She pretty much said if she is feeding every 2 hours and is awake for 1.5 hours in-between sleeps she won't sleep for long cause she will wake for a feed.

But yeah your right if she doesn't want anymore those lips are shut tight!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's normal hun = ) DS fed every 2 hours until he was about 12 weeks old. I then started to stretch the feeds to every 3 hours by using a pacifier and then it was every 4 hours by 4 months old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It might be good to try to stretch out the feeds a bit. At 6 weeks my girl had a bottle every 4 hours I think. 2 hourly would be classed as "snacking".

There's a great book that helped us called "12 Hours Sleep by 12 Weeks Old", it's a really simple book that is mostly about stretching out the feeds (day and night). It's not about controlled crying or anything. It's an American book so available on Amazon. Highly recommend it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleTime View Post
    You can't over feed any baby, they simply wont take any more than they need. If their tummies do happen to over full they will bring back up what they don't need.
    Sorry, I should have perhaps explained myself better You can definitely overfeed a FF baby as it's a manual process, as opposed to b/milk which is made to the baby's exact requirements.

Some people apparently ignore the formula mixing instructions all the time, or don't pay attention to the different ratios with different brands. This means the baby is getting too much (or in some cases too little) nutrition. This is why the saying refers only to b/fed babies.

I've just had all of this drilled in to me from our Paed as DS needs to be weaned on to prescription formula.

I do agree with you above though, bubs will simply stop drinking a bottle if full, or vomit back up any excess anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    That's completely different to simply over feeding by trying to get them to finish a bottle that they have interest in having.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it's definitely different and I had actually already agreed with you above regarding finishing bottles.

I was simply responding to the question about not being able to overfeed a baby, which isn't technically true. That's all...sorry if it came across the wrong way.