Closed Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    If that father was still with the mother and child that child would be afforded a nice lifestyle, why should she only get given enough to get by just because her parents relationship didn't work out?
    I was just about to type exactly the same thing. The new partner's children will benefit from any pay increases/bonuses, why shouldn't his other children? seems like double standards to me

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

faroutbrusselsprout  (01-02-2012),trishalishous  (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by NutsyK View Post
    Because it's about the needs of the child. It's both of theirs and they should be sharing the cost. In that situation the father is paying for more than what the child costs.

The base amount should include things like extra rent because you need more rooms, electricity, petrol etc. It should be up to the father if he wants to buy the child luxeries. The mother doens't have to spend that money on luxeries.. she can spend it on anything that has nothing to do with the child.

The child support should be based on needs not wants.
    But in a relationship the chances are, even if his partner is working that he is contributing more financially than her (given men statistically earn more than women).

If the child only should get needs not wants, does that mean his new children shouldn't get any extra than the essentials when his pay increases?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

faroutbrusselsprout  (01-02-2012),trishalishous  (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerilee View Post
    I don't think that is correct. Just having a read on the CSA site. You can get a reassessment on the basis of being financially responsible for step children, if the parent is unable to pay.

http://www.csa.gov.au/child_support_...d_families.php

The only reason the assessment would go up is if the payers income went up and the payees income went down (for the reason of caring for a child).

Hope that makes sense.
    So because the payee wants to stay home with another mans baby the first man has to pay more? If the new father wants his partner to stay at home they need to step up not the ex who may have had kids with her years prior? Thats not fair esp since I know one lady posted here that her new baby with partner dropped his payments $10 and his ex had a baby and they went up 20 why is her baby worth less to the CSA?

Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    If that father was still with the mother and child that child would be afforded a nice lifestyle, why should she only get given enough to get by just because her parents relationship didn't work out?
    Because they are not together maybe the custodial parent didnt help the payer achieve thier goals, maybe the payer was a stay at home mom and dad has custody does that mean that because she no longer is she should have to pay more because she decided to get a degree and better her self? Maybe the dad wanted to be a rap star and the payee never let him try and told him no way then they break up his new wife says go for it and so he does then how is the payee entitled to something she was preventing?

Because it's about the needs of the child. It's both of theirs and they should be sharing the cost. In that situation the father is paying for more than what the child costs.

The base amount should include things like extra rent because you need more rooms, electricity, petrol etc. It should be up to the father if he wants to buy the child luxeries. The mother doens't have to spend that money on luxeries.. she can spend it on anything that has nothing to do with the child.

The child support should be based on needs not wants.
    Exactly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    It is based on needs. Heck, according to the CSA my DS should cost me around $3,000 per year - I pay over $6,000 on out of school hours care alone p.a. They're clueless.

The thing is, single mothers are far more likely to live in poverty. It's all well and good to say dad should only pay for half of the child's needs, but what sort of person would allow their child to go without for the sake of "fairness".

It should be about the child. Not bickering parents.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Chocolate All Gone Now  (01-02-2012),DaughteroftheForest  (01-02-2012),delirium  (01-02-2012),trishalishous  (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What the...?!?!?
    What about if staying home is really important to her?
    Just because a relationship doesn't work out does not mean a mother should automatically feel pressured to return to work because there is a childcare allowance in her child support! Wrong.wrong.wrong.
    I'm sure your friend was paying $1000 a month because it was based on what he was earning...??
    Why can't a child cost that much a month? I'm sure it helps the custodial parent with food, rent, bills, education and gives them both a greater quality of life.
    Which in turn is a much better life for the child!

Well the cost of a child should include childcare to allow the mother to go to work. Some fathers do pay ridiculous amounts of money.. a father to my friends child has to pay $1000 a month.. you can't tell me that one child costs $2000 a month to look after.

Like I said though.. the fee should include the cost of childcare. I don't think it should be based off what a father earns either.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lovemyfam you come across very anti custodial mothers who receive child support ( or are upset because they don't).

Ahh so it is okay if the person paying child support needs a re assessment because of a drop in income or losing a job (financial hardship) but not if a mother stays at home and raises a child who is to a new partner Double standards just a bit...

My ex does not pay anything he says he can not afford the child support. Hence my DP "steps up" and helps me support my children and he pays my family law legal bills.

It is such a hard system to make everyone happy. I honestly don't know if there can be a system that all would be okay with. So I don't know a solution that would work. The problem with this is that it is the children missing out. The children who are caught in the middle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fox in socks- you can put a claim through csa and then just carry on doing what you do, telling csa that you collect/pay privately, which is the truth.

Then you can get your full ftb entitlements. That's what the ex and I do- I put in a claim and csa records show that I collect privately. They do nothing further, but I have satisfied the requirement for ftb purposes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Because they are not together maybe the custodial parent didnt help the payer achieve thier goals, maybe the payer was a stay at home mom and dad has custody does that mean that because she no longer is she should have to pay more because she decided to get a degree and better her self? Maybe the dad wanted to be a rap star and the payee never let him try and told him no way then they break up his new wife says go for it and so he does then how is the payee entitled to something she was preventing?

Exactly
    Maybe maybe maybe. I guess this is why the CSA has blanket rules. They dont have a separate division for wannabe rap star dads. And again, it's about the CHILD. If, ahem, the new dad becomes said famous rap star, then surely his other child is entitled to a good life like it's siblings.
    Sometimes I spin out at how bitter the new wives feel about the men paying child support. I wouldn't even look at a man if he had issues supporting his previous children.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

DaughteroftheForest  (01-02-2012),delirium  (01-02-2012),MissMuppet  (01-02-2012),SassyMummy  (01-02-2012),singlemumma82  (01-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (01-02-2012),trishalishous  (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Is this really true though? why would a non custodial parent be expected to pay for a child to another man when the other man would be expected to pay the CS?

Can someone clarify this?
    Yes. This is true.
    Our child support went up when DH's ex had another baby to her new partner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Yes. This is true.
    Our child support went up when DH's ex had another baby to her new partner.
    Is that because her income dropped? Just curious?