Closed Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    That sounds like a very fair set up Beachside of 50/50, it's not often a father will agree to that figure so good for him.

I guess while the new CS equals 100% of the child's expenses, it will mean his child can have an even better quality of life just as the children you have together will have now he has a pay raise

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    See here for what I mean...

http://www.csa.gov.au/child_support_...tage_table.php

Hope it works on my phone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And for those that don't understand the formula etc,

http://www.csa.gov.au/child_support_...a/example1.php

As you can see, kids don't cost a lot according to the CSA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by singlemumma82 View Post
    I have never been through the family court and I understand 100% child support and custody are separate, however, child support is also paid relevant to the nights in care with each parent, this is where custody and child support DO come into play together.

I could move further away from my ex and limit his access and get paid MORE for this? It's almost an incentive.

I just don't think it should increase in these situations, if they simply don't want to see their children, yes, make them pay more, but don't penalise the ones who get no say and need to pay to get their own child back.

I really hope that makes sense this time haha.
    I agree to a point but not everybody can come out on top. All we can hope for is the child is happy and well cared for with both parents contributing to this.

Like share a book said the payer just needs to focus on the fact that they are helping to support for their child and that's what's important.
    Last edited by Stiflers Mom; 31-01-2012 at 21:44.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    All this talk of 'choice'. I moved interstate with my child as my rent just went up again leaving me with $30 a week total. With no childcare or family support, I wasn't really left with many choices.

I haven't bothered putting in a new CS assessment as yet, he hasn't paid in over a year anyway so what's the point. Meanwhile, my payment gets REDUCED based upon the amount CSA assesses him to pay.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (31-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    All this talk of 'choice'. I moved interstate with my child as my rent just went up again leaving me with $30 a week total. With no childcare or family support, I wasn't really left with many choices.

I haven't bothered putting in a new CS assessment as yet, he hasn't paid in over a year anyway so what's the point. Meanwhile, my payment gets REDUCED based upon the amount CSA assesses him to pay.
    Which takes us back to the point of giving csa more power to enforce payment.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

delirium  (31-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I agree that it sucks when a parent moves away with the child, thus making it harder for the non-custodial parent to see their child regularly... etc etc...

However, sometimes there's a good reason to move away. A very good reason. If I had been forced to stay in the area my ex and I lived in, I would... probably live on the street. We lived right next to the city, and there was no way in hell as a single mother on Centrelink benefits alone, that I could afford that kind of rent. Even the cheap, scummy places were far too expensive for me to even consider. It was okay as a couple - not as a single parent though.

I HAD to move... not so far away he couldn't see her, but that's only because I moved in with my mother, and she happened to be only about an hour away. If she had been interstate, I would have had to have moved there, because I didn't see any money from Centrelink for about a month after we split (I got my forms in the DAY I left him)... I had no other choice but to rely on my mother.

Some people HAVE to move to find work too. Ideally, a child would live close to both parents, and both would be able to be employed in an area that saw them making what they deserve to earn... but sometimes options are limited and one party has to move. Or else rely solely on benefits, which is not ideal, especially for an extended period.

SOME people might move just to be jerks, just to make seeing their child difficult for the other parent... but I would assume that MOST who move, do so for a decent reason.

My ex was horrible to me, and I didn't want him in my life, but acknowledged that he needed to be for my daughter's sake, and thus he was welcome to come and get her for a visit WHENEVER he wanted.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

delirium  (31-01-2012),HELPihavea2yrold!  (01-02-2012),share a book  (31-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I think someone on bubhub suggested in the past that CSA should pay the child support amount to the custodial parent out of government funds, and then chase the paying parent for the money as a debt to the government, not as a debt to the custodial parent. I think this is a brilliant idea for a few reasons:

1. children will not suffer just because they happen to be unlucky enough to have a deadbeat dad.

2. You can be damned sure the government will start pulling out all the stops to chase non-payers once the debt is owed to them (for example, for arrears over $5,000 they would obtain a judgment and then issue a bankruptcy notice. For those who are running businesses, in high flying jobs or have significant assets, the threat of bankruptcy will make them pay quick smart). Just look at how the tax office goes after people, and people who have centrelink debts...

3. The wrath of taxpayers *****ing about "my taxes" supporting kids of single parents will finally be directed at the non-paying deadbeat dad, rather than the struggling single mum who is doing her best to provide for her kids.

Brilliant.
    I'm pretty sure that the money owed to CSA by the payee IS a government debt. That's why they have the power to garnish wages and tax returns.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What angers me the most about CSA is that 2nd families are worth so much less.

My brother is a "2nd child family" from my step fathers marriage to mum. He has 3 older children from his first wife. When he was born his arrival into the family and importantly step fathers financially responsibility wasn't accounted for at all.

When my mum and step father separated. They valued my brothers cs at $31 a week and the older three were well over $200 a week. Because step father owed money to his first wife most of the money he paid additionally for my brother was taken and give to his first wife so was given $3.60 for my brother. CSA said that the first family came first and once he paid his debt than they will than pay her my brothers full cs and work on his debt for my brother as that would accumulate as he was paying for my brother but paying debt. We worked it out that it would take step father 14 years to pay the debt to first wife and my brother would be 21 when mum would start getting a full payment!
    I think all children from fob should be treated equally. Step father has also avoided doing his tax for the last 4 years to avoid paying more cs as he now earns more the $20k what CSA estimates. They should be required to do tax annually by CSA or face a heavy fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I agree LPH that all children should get the same amount. They are all as important as each other. When you have 2 women seperated from the father then that's not fair.

But what's also not fair is when a man repartners and has more kids, then his CS to the children of the previous relationship gets reduced. He ultimately decides to create more children, which is his right 100% but the previous children shouldn't be disadvantaged. If you can't afford the child support of your already born kids don't have anymore. Some would say that's unfair, but it's also unfair for the children to miss out bc the father has decided to have more.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast