Closed Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Agreed. I would like to see the seizing of non essential assets by CSA (like cars, boats motorbikes, but not a house or furniture) for deliquent payers. I'm not talking about a man that dutifully pays his CS has an accident and is living off nothing with his parents while recovering. I'm talking about those that have a steady income and who owe thousands. Garnishing is limited, most just chuck the job in and find another and CSA has to chase them to find the new employer.

and deliberately increasing debts by borrowing money for assets to reduce payments should not be on. I know a few women that have literally starved so their child ate bc the ex didn't pay CS. All the while he had gone out and got a loan for a 50k car then had the audacity to deman a re assessment (and reduction of CS) bc he has more outgoing expenses. Too bad, if you can't afford a SS commodore and pay for your child don't buy it! Just as the mothers have to live within their means so should the fathers.
    I had no idea that CSA take into account outgoing expenses when determining CS payments. I thought they just had a fixed formula based on income and care percentage??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Fox in Sox I understand what you are saying, IF a custody parent CHOOSES to move away making regular contact a lot harder then CS automatically increases as the visitations have decreased. However, the non custodial parent then has to FIGHT to get their child back, another expense, it is not fair.

If the custodial parent chooses to move and therefore lessen the visitations between the other parent and child they should not be paid more almost like a bonus for weaken a child/parent bond.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to singlemumma82 For This Useful Post:

Fox in Sox  (01-02-2012),Lovemyfam  (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maddysmama View Post
    I had no idea that CSA take into account outgoing expenses when determining CS payments. I thought they just had a fixed formula based on income and care percentage??
    This is my understanding also

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just a point..

If you spend a certain percentage of your income on visitation to your child your assessment can reduce. You just need to have the information to prove it eg plane tickets etc

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

singlemumma82  (31-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singlemumma82 View Post
    Fox in Sox I understand what you are saying, IF a custody parent CHOOSES to move away making regular contact a lot harder then CS automatically increases as the visitations have decreased. However, the non custodial parent then has to FIGHT to get their child back, another expense, it is not fair.

If the custodial parent chooses to move and therefore lessen the visitations between the other parent and child they should not be paid more almost like a bonus for weaken a child/parent bond.
    Yes the situation is crap for him but what has been said over and over on this thread is that support and contact are separate issues. The money is for supporting the child, not a bonus for the other parent.

Your reply belongs in a spin off called 'what changes need to be made to make family court more accessible'

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T 800 For This Useful Post:

Chocolate All Gone Now  (31-01-2012),SassyMummy  (31-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, Cherilee, you're right, but that's assuming you can afford to go visit, which we can't.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    My understanding is non custodial parents can apply for a reduction to payments based on hardship bc of high outgoing expenses. Admittedly I'm a married woman to a man with no other children so my comments were 2nd hand from other single mum friends...but I'm almost sure the father can do that

I should add the initial amount set by CSA doesn't take into account any expenses, like you say it's based on income and care percentage. But he can apply for a reassessment for hardship
    Last edited by delirium; 31-01-2012 at 21:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It definitely needs to change, I'm just not sure how it should in order to make things fairer.
    We have a private agreement and what we did was make a list of yearly expenses for DSS including things like school fees, medical expenses, extracurricular expenses, flights for visits, additional school expenses and a weekly amount for food and utilities etc. There was other things but I can't remember what at the moment. To figure out the amount of child support, We halved the amount for everything except for the food and utilities, which we multiplied by the number of weeks he's at his mums and then halved that to get the amount for child support. If that makes sense? Add it all together and That's the yearly amount child support we pay. At the moment it's quite a bit more than the csa assessment, however DP has just started a new job that pays a lot more and the assessment will be more than what we have worked out as the yearly expenses for DSS. Now I don't mind adding extra on to ensure DSS has a 'better quality of life' at his mums but it doesn't quite seem fair when the child support assessment will be more than an entire years worth of expenses for the child (that both parents agree on the amount of expenses).
    But that's life I guess, and as we all know, it's rarely fair.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by T 800 View Post
    Yes the situation is crap for him but what has been said over and over on this thread is that support and contact are separate issues. The money is for supporting the child, not a bonus for the other parent.

Your reply belongs in a spin off called 'what changes need to be made to make family court more accessible'
    I have never been through the family court and I understand 100% child support and custody are separate, however, child support is also paid relevant to the nights in care with each parent, this is where custody and child support DO come into play together.

I could move further away from my ex and limit his access and get paid MORE for this? It's almost an incentive.

I just don't think it should increase in these situations, if they simply don't want to see their children, yes, make them pay more, but don't penalise the ones who get no say and need to pay to get their own child back.

I really hope that makes sense this time haha.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to singlemumma82 For This Useful Post:

Lovemyfam  (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My child's father included haircuts every month, hair care products, and other such things like $5/week clothes washing (for just him, in a caravan with his parents) and even included take away, all of which was accepted. Meanwhile, I use the cheapest shampoo, wash my hair once a week and dd's twice a week, and go years (4 so far) between haircuts. All to provide for my child so she has haircuts, decent shoes, clothes that fit, and quality shoes. If I have to sacrifice, why shouldn't he have to as well?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (31-01-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast