Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Spin off things that should change to make CS work better

Please no bashing or arguing just thought this would be a good discussion and interesting to hear everyone's thoughts.

So I know there are many here that think the government should make changes to the CS payments. IMO I think that the cost of a child should be a base cost and then go from there, so say they think that a child from ages 1-5 costs $200 a month then that is what it should use for all paying parents then do the care deductions etc if the paying parent cant pay it racks up a debt. This way just because Johnny was born to a paying parent that makes 30,000 a year doesnt mean he is any cheaper to care for then the child born to a 100,000 child nor the 100,000 dollar child more expensive, it should be based on the needs of the children where special needs kids will be a different bracket. This would be straight forward and a lot less hassle for everyone involved, there was an article somewhere I read that paying parents are simply not getting better paying jobs because it would actually mean they would bring home less after CS that excuse would go out the window with this plan.

I think that is the custodial parent uses CSA to collect there should be a fee as I read another article that says the CSA costs tax payers a lot more money then they collect, if they charged a fee this would encourage people to not have to deal with them and deal with each other, of course if abuse is n the equation this would make it more difficult.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think you would find most parents use CSA because they have to. Eg paying parent wont pay, they won't pay the right amount or when they should. I used to have a private arrangement until he stopped paying. I had to go through CSA, it wasn't my choice. As far as paying a fee, I am a tax payer therefore if what you say is correct above I'm already paying a fee.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So.... A single mum with a baby/toddler/preschooler has to rely on the "set" amount of child care until she can return to work and rely on centrelink while her ex partner could possibly earn in excess of $100,000 and still only pay what a person earning $45,000 would..?
    So once they separate the ex partner suddenly has unlimited earning potential while the custodial parent has completely limited earning potential..? All the while the CHILD suffers because his/her mum is living off a basic wage.
    Yeah...ummm........that's a terrible idea.
    BUT totally awesome idea for the blokes out there who love shirking responsibility!!
    Single mum -0 deadbeat dad - 1

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (31-01-2012),Californication  (31-01-2012),HELPihavea2yrold!  (31-01-2012),naebie  (31-01-2012),River Song  (01-02-2012),trishalishous  (31-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with a base rate. Disagree with a fee. It is a government service paid for by the taxpayer used (by and large) by the taxpayer. And given that lodging for child support is mandatory to claim Centrelink payments, I think that charging a fee is unfair.

If I had a choice, I would not deal with Child Support. They are useless and dont actually have any power to get money from a non-custodial parent if they are being paid cash in hand or dont lodge tax returns.I have to claim child support to receive Centrelink and therefore they think that I am getting a certain amount of money each month which I do not receive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What to change?

Raise the minimum. Not cap it at 3 children. Give CSA more power to enforce payment on time, every time. Make it harder to get out of paying. Lower the self support amount for those without kids in their care. Raise the self support amount for those with kids in their care. Impose harsh penalties (fines, even imprisonment) for failure to pay, like the government can with traffic infringements. Raise the set amount if a child has special needs to accommodate extra needs, including if the residential parent is unable to work, or has to cut work hours to care for the child. We're in the middle of homework, so that's all I can think of while I am trying to help with sentence forming lol.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Californication  (31-01-2012),ComeBackKid  (31-01-2012),Gandalf  (31-01-2012),HELPihavea2yrold!  (31-01-2012),MissMuppet  (31-01-2012),naebie  (31-01-2012),River Song  (01-02-2012),trishalishous  (31-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'd say a lot of custodial parents who use CSA to get the money do so because the paying parent wouldn't pay (or wouldn't pay enough) otherwise. I wouldn't want to be penalised because I required CSA to collect money for me... if the ex just put money in my bank account as we had agreed to then it'd be all good... but he doesn't, so if I wanted to make sure I got CS, then I'd have to go through them. I don't even know where he lives to make contact - he doesn't even live in this country. I disagree with forcing people to pay fees. It's unfair and rips those who are being treated unfairly even further.

TBH, I don't deal with CSA enough to know how they should change. I don't see any child support. I could request CSA get it for me, but I don't because right now, the ex doesn't pay me any money, but he also hasn't requested any rights to our daughter. I would have no problem with him seeing her regularly if he had maintained contact with her, but I am wary that the moment I start forcing him to pay CS, he will try and "get back" at me for it by demanding visitation rights... and while it's possible he may not get any considering he hasn't seen her since she was three and she's now six, and hasn't spoken to her at all in well over a year now, I am still afraid that I will be forced to allow her to leave the country to visit him... she is legally old enough to fly alone internationally now. I am not having that if I can prevent it, and so I've decided that my daughter's best interests are better taken care of by me avoiding that happening, rather than accepting money that we could really do with.

TBH, I'd rather just be exempt from CS but not sure I'd qualify for that, so haven't looked into it.

Mostly, I think the lowest rate of CS needs to be upped though - a LOT. The last earning details Australia got of my ex was only HALF a year's earnings, as he left around Christmas time. Therefore they assumed he earnt way less than he actually would have, and suggested he pay less than $7 a week. Anyone who thinks that half the cost of raising a child is less than $7 a week is an imbecile.

They also need to have stricter penalties for those who do not pay. Children are suffering because idiots are not supporting their offspring. They deserve to be punished for that if they are doing it for no reason other than the fact they are selfish twits. If a man has 17 kids, he needs to pay to support each and every one of them. If he cannot pay, he should be treated the same way as if he couldn't afford to pay any of his other bills. If he cannot support 17 kids, he should have kept his semen to himself. Children should not suffer because their non-paying parents are morons.
    Last edited by SassyMummy; 31-01-2012 at 16:26.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Californication  (31-01-2012),HELPihavea2yrold!  (31-01-2012),mummyrissa  (31-01-2012),naebie  (31-01-2012),trishalishous  (31-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Most parents deal with CS because they have to. Last custody visit, FOB had 3 calls from debt collectors. Would you trust him to pay?! CS are *supposed* to be garnishing his wage and hes still not paying mush! Things that I think should change is the minimum amount go up. Whatever idiot came up with $2 as the minimum amount obviously didnt have children. They need to make harsher penalties to those who don't pay and chase them sooner! Don't let them get so far behind! You might get a lump sum at tax time but that doesnt help you the rest of the year.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to HELPihavea2yrold! For This Useful Post:

Californication  (31-01-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't agree with a base rate. That would end up penalising paying parents who have low paying jobs, plus penalising custodial parents who are in welfare with ex partners with high paying jobs.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Californication  (31-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The fee could be passed to the paying parent if the reason they have to be used is because they wont pay which seems mostly why it happens, if custody parent just refuses to try to work it out and uses them then maybe the fee goes to them that would make the parents be reasonable and work together more I think

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are enough fees and taxes.

More power to the CSA to make deadbeats pay the correct amount. That's all that is needed.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stiflers Mom For This Useful Post:

Californication  (31-01-2012),ComeBackKid  (31-01-2012),MissMuppet  (31-01-2012)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast