+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Day sleeps

Hi,

Ds1 just turned 2. He still needs a nap during the day, but his nap is getting later and later, which means his bed time is extremely late.

He wakes at 7am, and today he didn't fall asleep till 3 even though I tried to put him to sleep at 130... It was pretty obvious he was tired by that stage.

So now that means tonight he won't want to go to bed till after 830, which just seems way too late for my liking.

So what does/did your toddler do at thst age?

Thanks!

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Misho, I'm in the exact situation except my sons bedtimes are 9:30 grrrrr !

He wakes bout 7:30-8 , has a nap about 12:30-2:30 and isn't even CLOSE to being tired until 9:30 .

I am so over the late bedtime but you know what , I'm also so over trying to fiddle things around during the day trying to change it !!!! I just ride it out now Hoping it might eventually change !

I've posted on bh lots bout it , I considered waking him from he's nap , waking him earlier in the morning etc , they are all options you could consider !! I couldn't do it though , just felt bad and it also killed me that he wakes all night long as it is , so ontop of that I couldn't even enjoy he's nap or mini sleep in . Nope !! Didnt wanna do that , so for now I enjoy the day nap and later wake time ( he used to wake up at 5 am till around 1.5 yrs ) and just such up the bedtime now even though it's so ANNOYING !!!

I've given up , my 11 month old also doesn't go to bed till around 9ish also , I've got two bloody night owls !!

Good luck with whatever you decide , to either try and make changes or to put up with it , I feel for you , you feel like you have no life and no me time !!

Xoxo

Sent from my iPhone

Me  Dh
    DS -2 years 
    DD - 10 months 💜

3. The Following User Says Thank You to heeeeerekittykitty For This Useful Post:

misho  (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If DS (2yo) naps he won't go to sleep till 10-10.30pm, even if he just falls asleep in the car for 20min.

So on days I can go without a break I keep him awake and if I'm exhausted he's usually happy to nap at about 2-3pm. He gets about 12 hours of sleep either way, it's just a question of whether he gets them all in one go or with a break during the day.

I don't mind when he goes to sleep - 8 or 10, we just do our thing. I just make sure he's happy and gets enough sleep. I stopped fighting his sleep ages ago when I realised not all kids sleep at 7pm... I don't think he ever fell asleep before 8pm.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jake's mum For This Useful Post:

heeeeerekittykitty  (31-01-2012),misho  (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys. It's reassuring that thieves pretty normal. I'd like him to go earlier but I too feel guilty to wake him if he sleeps long during the day.

I guess we will ride it out.. More than anything I wish he'd sleep thru the night grrr!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Misho.

I have had the same issues with both my boys. My younger one is 15mo and I can see he's going in the exact same direction. DS1, from about 15months or so (I think?) started sleeping reasonably at night, only waking once but not every night. But there was no way we could get him to sleep before 9pm. We just ran with it. We tried waking him earlier from his nap, and putting him to bed earlier. Eventually, when he was 2yrs 2mo I had a brain wave and cut out his day sleep altogether, and he started to sleep from 7pm to 6am every night and didn't even wake up during the night!!!! It took us about 2 weeks of weird wake up hours - I distinctly remember him waking at 4am on Christmas morning and falling asleep on the lounge room floor at 8:30 - but then he was consistent. He still needed to have a half hour nap twice a week, but by the time he turned three he couldn't have a day nap at all.

DS2, 15mo, is having a 1.5 hour nap every day, and is impossible to get to sleep until 8:30-9pm. He's awake at 6-6:30. As much as I love the break in the middle of the day, I'm looking forward to dropping his day nap so i can have peace at night! However, we've only just cut the night feed, so I'm letting him settle into this routine for a while first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughte turns 2 in a few weeks and goes to bed at around 10pm and wakes at around 9:30am an doesn't sleep dying the day!!

I would just be greatful he sleeps uring the day and go with it, or move his sleep forward earlier :-)

Goodluck