+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Nail biting!

So I've just noticed these last few days that my 3.5 year old has started chewing her nails. Her nails are now all short and chewed, and when she is sitting still say watching tv for example she does it.

It's only just started, has anyone had success in breaking the habit before it becomes too hard to break? If so how?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bite my nails and have noticed DS 1 has his fingers in his mouth like he is also. Waiting to see what tips follow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I bit mine right up till i had braces fitted as a teenager, mum tried everything! the horrible stop bite polish that worked for about a week, for me it was a type of coping mechanisim same as sucking my fingers. I was also a Piano player so had to have short nails cause teacher would always growl if they were longer....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hoping28 For This Useful Post:

LibranTwin  (31-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    2 things that worked for my cousin (although she was 5 at the time) is the disgusting nail polish you can buy to prevent chewing - it tastes fowl. And choosing out a nail polish she really wanted, but was only allowed to get it if she stopped biting her nails for 2 weeks. It worked for her.

I chewed my nails until I started getting acrylics at 18 :/

Mummy & Daddy - expanding our family! Our little man born April 2011 and now expecting another munchkin in August 2012! Loving it!!!!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blissfulfairy For This Useful Post:

GothChick  (31-01-2012),LibranTwin  (31-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i have been biting my nails for as long as i can remember. I wish mum had broken the habit!! Nothing worked for me, even that stop bite didnt taste too bad.

I manage to grow 2 or 3 at a time, but always end up killing them eventually

I have no pearly words of wisdom unfortunately. These days i dont even do it consciously, people at work yell at me lol, i dont even know im doing it anymore!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum was a nail biter so I obviously copied the habit. I bit my nails up until I was 15 and then just decided one day that they looked aweful and I wanted nice nails and literally never bit them again ever. I have had strong gorgeous natural long nails since then.

I wonder what makes a child bite their nails though if the parents don't do it.
    My ds's friend bites his nails but his parents don't, I always wonder why he does.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS- almost 3- bites his fingernails and more disgustingly his toe nails! So yuck! I have that nail biter stuff to paint on and need to put it on twice a day, particularly before 'boring' activities' like sitting in the car, or watching TV. Really hoping it helps!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KAnn For This Useful Post:

LibranTwin  (31-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, I might try bribery or that yucky nail polish, is that mean though? Lol!

I didn't want to admit it before but I have caught her chewing a toenail before, ewww!! Haha!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    My mum was a nail biter so I obviously copied the habit. I bit my nails up until I was 15 and then just decided one day that they looked aweful and I wanted nice nails and literally never bit them again ever. I have had strong gorgeous natural long nails since then.

I wonder what makes a child bite their nails though if the parents don't do it.
    My ds's friend bites his nails but his parents don't, I always wonder why he does.
    Neither of my parents were nail biters, or anyone else in my family before me. For me it was a nervous habit, I started biting them at 2 and didn't stop until I moved out of home and went to a counsellor.

My parents started being physically abusive towards each other and screaming all the time at each other when I was 2 just before my sister was born. Which started my habit. After I'd seen the counsellors a few times, I stopped. Didn't even noticed I had stopped until I went out one night and painted my non-bitten and pretty looking fingernails.

As for a nervous habit, it could be any number of things that could be the cause, it obviously doesn't have to be as bad as my reason. But in my experience, it can definately start as a nerves thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LibranTwin View Post
    Thanks everyone, I might try bribery or that yucky nail polish, is that mean though? Lol!

I didn't want to admit it before but I have caught her chewing a toenail before, ewww!! Haha!!
    I swear by stop and grow nail stuff. It helped me curb my nail biting that I've had for years.

I think it's ok for kids check what chemicals are in it though and advisory on the back but it's got a nasty taste, you can't pick it off, it's hard to wash off, has no gloss shine or colour and no odor.

Not sure on any natural remedies but
    Stop and grow is the brand don't get Sally Hanson I'm sure you can pick off and it didn't work for me also it smelt terrible. :/

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay87 For This Useful Post:

LibranTwin  (31-01-2012)